PDA

View Full Version : can we have a 'like' button?

jbl
01-25-2014, 10:23 PM
So many members post comments that make me laugh and smile, but I don't always have anything to add to a thread, and quoting them 5 pages later is annoying and disrupts the thread's flow.
Just a thought...

icanhaschzbrgr
01-26-2014, 07:42 AM
I would press Like button for this idea if there were such button…

jbl
01-26-2014, 07:43 AM

Nmko
01-26-2014, 07:54 AM
:plus1:

Austin
01-27-2014, 04:25 PM
Let me discuss it with the mods and admins.

erikz
01-27-2014, 04:29 PM
Like!!!

brainsausage
01-27-2014, 08:44 PM
I don't like. I'm really happy with how uncluttered the threads are. No ads, and no likes are a big plus for me. Not to mention the whole popularity contest that inevitably arises... And I'm a 34 year old, avid FB and Instagrammer btw.

JohnnyChance
01-27-2014, 09:05 PM
I also think a "like" button is a terrible idea. It is a discussion forum, not facebook, twitter, instagram, etc. A button does nothing to foster discussion. If you want to like something, just say you like it. Your comment, no matter how simple or verbose could be the start or the part of a lengthy discussion that would otherwise have never happened if we all just clicked a button.

Pensacola Tiger
01-27-2014, 09:15 PM
A "like" button is not going to add anything of substance to the thread.

"If it's not broke, don't fix it."

Rick

jared08
01-27-2014, 10:31 PM
A "like" button is not going to add anything of substance to the thread.

"If it's not broke, don't fix it."

Rick

I like this..

ChuckTheButcher
01-27-2014, 10:36 PM
I don't see the point. I think plus ones and emoticons work fine. You also don't have to quote a whole long post. You can just do sections.

daveb
01-27-2014, 10:43 PM
Don't like "like"

stevenStefano
01-29-2014, 08:16 AM
I don't like the like button idea

jbl
01-29-2014, 08:22 AM
I don't either, now I've seen the back lash! Haha!

Chef Andy
01-29-2014, 09:25 AM
I don't really think it's a bad idea, but I don't think its necessary either.

icanhaschzbrgr
01-29-2014, 09:25 AM
I don't like. I'm really happy with how uncluttered the threads are. No ads, and no likes are a big plus for me. Not to mention the whole popularity contest that inevitably arises... And I'm a 34 year old, avid FB and Instagrammer btw.

Without a like button I would have to add comments with "+1" or similar very meaningful content. If there are several of us, you'd have a full screen of meaningless comments. Is that what you call uncluttered?

Right now there are buttons like "reply", "reply with quote" and some others under each comment. I don't see how adding small button with text "Like" would clutter thread.

What's so bad about popularity contests? Nobody is forcing you to start one or even participate in any.

Usually I tried to keep silence if I have nothing to add to conversation, but with like button I'd have an easy to use tool for marking those comments, that I do like and find interesting. For me Like button would be a tool to UNclutter threads.

Pensacola Tiger
01-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Without a like button I would have to add comments with "+1" or similar very meaningful content. If there are several of us, you'd have a full screen of meaningless comments. Is that what you call uncluttered?

Right now there are buttons like "reply", "reply with quote" and some others under each comment. I don't see how adding small button with text "Like" would clutter thread.

What's so bad about popularity contests? Nobody is forcing you to start one or even participate in any.

Usually I tried to keep silence if I have nothing to add to conversation, but with like button I'd have an easy to use tool for marking those comments, that I do like and find interesting. For me Like button would be a tool to UNclutter threads.

What purpose would a "like" button serve? Would it add anything meaningful to the discussion?

jbl
01-29-2014, 09:46 AM
No more or less than someone taking up bandwidth with a quote and '+1' or emoticon

jbl
01-29-2014, 09:50 AM
There was a recent thread where one or more people had quoted a post containing a HUGE picture, just to add emoticons and similar. Annoying to scroll through. A little button for an acknowledgement of a comment streamlines the thread. I was a member of a very classy professional jazz musicians forum that had a 'thanks' button, in no way was that Facebooky

Chef Andy
01-29-2014, 10:33 AM
Anothing thing, a like button would decrease the amount of posts made, which is one way forums are ranked on forum ranking websites. The higher the rank on those sites, the better it is for advertising. Seems insignificant but every little bit counts.

icanhaschzbrgr
01-29-2014, 10:55 AM
Anothing thing, a like button would decrease the amount of posts made, which is one way forums are ranked on forum ranking websites. The higher the rank on those sites, the better it is for advertising. Seems insignificant but every little bit counts.
Hm… it might been been adblock but I've never seen any advertising here on KKF. I guess the point of site supporters was to allow KKF to focus on usability for members, not on things like position in different ranking websites.

I'm struggling to understand what's wrong with like buttons? Nowadays they seems to be everywhere. People are used to them. Properly implemented they wouldn't catch attention unless you really want to look for likes count. There were several members here, who said they don't like "like" buttons, but they didn't mentioned why. Would be interesting to hear they position.

Chef Andy
01-29-2014, 11:25 AM
no no, not that kind of advertising.. I meant KKF being more advertised on other sites to draw more users, thus making the site more active. It's a very small reason as to why not have a like button, but a reason none the less. It's similar to search engine optimization, which will let your page appear first when people google search things more often.

Austin
01-29-2014, 02:48 PM
The mods and I are discussing this behind the scenes.

The general feeling is it would not fit well for us, but it's still in discussion.

berko
01-29-2014, 03:35 PM
i dont like it.

stevenStefano
01-29-2014, 09:27 PM
I think you'll end up with a lot of people skim reading through the posts and only reading those that have a lot of likes. I know that's pretty much what I do on sites that have the feature

Lexington Jim
01-29-2014, 10:29 PM
I do not see any need for a like button. It would not bother me a bit if there were one; I probably would never use it.

Lefty
01-30-2014, 11:52 AM
I only check this site, and most in general, on my phone. I often find I double tap my screen on pictures, trying to like them, just as I would on Instagram. I don't hate the idea, but I get what others are saying. It might turn into a popularity contest, as Brainsausage mentioned, or just clutter it all up, like Johnny and a few others stated. Meh.