PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted Advertising

Dream Burls
02-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Boardsmith started a thread about seeing advertisements on threads in his forum. I see them on mine too, but only when I'm not logged in. What's going on? Quite frankly, this is unacceptable.

erikz
02-13-2014, 03:44 AM
I'm just guessing, but its probably a way to earn some upkeep from people who are only lurking here and not an active member of the community?

ThEoRy
02-13-2014, 05:14 AM
I'm just guessing, but its probably a way to earn some upkeep from people who are only lurking here and not an active member of the community?

Problem is, non members will see ads for "custom cutting boards" on David's sub forum and think it's a supported vendor. What's also interesting, I recently saw an ad for ceekayteegee here..

Crothcipt
02-13-2014, 05:15 AM
It was stated when the forum was bought that any member logged in would not see any advertising. If I remember right it was through groupon, but that was quite a few months ago.

erikz
02-13-2014, 05:42 AM
Problem is, non members will see ads for "custom cutting boards" on David's sub forum and think it's a supported vendor. What's also interesting, I recently saw an ad for ceekayteegee here..
Thats probably because of google ad sense, which tracks your browsing history and then delivers you ads based on that.

The fact that there are other cutting boards advertised in a registered vendor subforum is nog the way to roll in my opinion. Maybe it's an option to omit adds from the vendor part of the forums?

It was stated when the forum was bought that any member logged in would not see any advertising. If I remember right it was through groupon, but that was quite a few months ago.
This is still the case, any logged in member wont see any of the google ads.

chefjohnboyardee
02-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Ads are everywhere in the app :(

erikz
02-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Ads are everywhere in the app :(
Never seen any ads in the app, use the app a lot (Android).

bkultra
02-13-2014, 11:04 AM
Never seen any ads in the app, use the app a lot (Android).

Same but always logged in on the app (Android) as well. I assume you have to be logged out to see the ads on the app as well.

Just checked and I do get the ads on iOS even when logged in.

Mucho Bocho
02-13-2014, 11:19 AM
I get them when logged in too. I noticed the add second thread on each page starting in that last major Mobil app update. When it went from red to blue in color. There is always an add at the bottom of the page. I hate it myself especially since I'm a site contributor.

So Either KKF allows adds or they don't? Mods and Austin could you provide some feedback here as to KKF policy around non authorized vendors posting rotating advertising in all forums.

erikz
02-13-2014, 12:24 PM
Same but always logged in on the app (Android) as well. I assume you have to be logged out to see the ads on the app as well.

Just checked and I do get the ads on iOS even when logged in.
Seems like a bug in the iOS version!

Burl Source
02-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Here is what I got in my subforum.
http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac219/burlsource/jan14/ad_zps762989ac.jpg

I can understand some tasteful banner adds at the top or bottom of a page.
But in the middle of posts is giving me the symptoms shown in the ad.

Dream Burls
02-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Well at least that makes sense.:justkidding::curse::surrendar::dazed:

ThEoRy
02-13-2014, 02:42 PM
I only see them when not logged in on my mobile. The disturbing part is the offered products are similar to what our paying vendors are here. Cutting boards, knives, knife sharpening services.

KKFAdmin
02-13-2014, 02:46 PM
Ads are shown to visitors who are not logged in.

If you are seeing ads when logged in please let me know.

bkultra
02-13-2014, 02:47 PM

Ads show up even when logged into iOS app. I'm not affected with the Android app

brainsausage
02-13-2014, 02:54 PM

Ads for non members is all well and good, but ads that directly compete with vendors is kind of $hitty.

The BoardSMITH
02-13-2014, 03:33 PM

Didn't know a visitor could log in.

However, having an ad show up in my sub-forum that directly competes with me is crappy beyond belief. I don't pay for the sub-forum with the intent to help some amateur promote his business at my expense. I am just about two seconds from dumping KKF entirely.

brianh
02-13-2014, 04:11 PM

However, having an ad show up in my sub-forum that directly competes with me is crappy beyond belief. I don't pay for the sub-forum with the intent to help some amateur promote his business at my expense. I am just about two seconds from dumping KKF entirely.

He means someone simply visiting the site who is not registered and logged in.

jer
02-13-2014, 04:12 PM
The vendor members are a big part of KKF and contribute substantially to its benefit and value to members and visitors. I would hate to see this issue have this kind of outcome and hope that it can be resolved.

The BoardSMITH
02-13-2014, 04:48 PM
I would hate to see this issue have this kind of outcome and hope that it can be resolved.

ALL the vendors who pay for their sub-forum have been thrown under the bus by the insertion of ads for competitive goods in their sub-forums by companies who have no ties to KKF. The only resolution would be to cease all the intrusive competitive ads immediately.

Chef Andy
02-13-2014, 04:52 PM
I would hate to see anyone leave over this. I'm sure there's an acceptable compromise that can be made. Hopefully people just cool off a bit and don't do anything hastily.

brianh
02-13-2014, 04:53 PM
I would hate to see anyone leave over this. I'm sure there's an acceptable compromise that can be made. Hopefully people just cool off a bit and don't do anything hastily.

+1

erikz
02-13-2014, 05:01 PM
I would hate to see anyone leave over this. I'm sure there's an acceptable compromise that can be made. Hopefully people just cool off a bit and don't do anything hastily.Couldnt have said it better. Completely agree with you Andy.

HHH Knives
02-13-2014, 05:31 PM

Boardsmith started a thread about seeing advertisements on threads in his forum. I see them on mine too, but only when I'm not logged in. What's going on? Quite frankly, this is unacceptable.

ALL the vendors who pay for their sub-forum have been thrown under the bus by the insertion of ads for competitive goods in their sub-forums by companies who have no ties to KKF. The only resolution would be to cease all the intrusive competitive ads immediately.

I have to agree. I have waited a day to say anything in hopes Austin would say it is a terrible mistake and fix it. But based on his one post I see in this thread. He has not. :(

This has got to be changed or many of us. If not the majority of the vendors will not be here for long..

This just sucks! and you as well as everyone who is a paying vendor or sight supporter etc should be outraged by these adds.

Im just getting more mad as I type this so I will stop for now. But I did want to make it known that I agree this is unacceptable and THIS SUCKS!!!!!

Chef Andy
02-13-2014, 05:45 PM
I agree they should be removed from vendors subforums. However I do think you guys should realize that it's not like Austin chose specifically to put competing ads in your forums, he has no control over what ads show up. What you do on the internet determines what ads you will see.

The clear course of action would be to remove the ads from the vendor's subforums only. They pay for the subforums, there shouldn't be changes to their subforums without their consent. I'm not sure if its possible to remove ads just from vendor subforums however.

Talim
02-13-2014, 06:00 PM
The way the ads appear, it makes it look like a signature or part of something that was posted by the members here. If I was a visitor and was lurking/looking for a knife or cutting board and see those ads I would probably click on them thinking it was a member's site.

Dream Burls
02-13-2014, 06:06 PM
The way the ads appear, it makes it look like a signature or part of something that was posted by the members here. If I was a visitor and was lurking/looking for a knife or cutting board and see those ads I would probably click on them thinking it was a member's site.
Exactly. That's why they have to go.

Nuts63
02-13-2014, 06:20 PM
I think the ads are very annoying that's why I finally became a member of KKF

Chef Andy
02-13-2014, 06:28 PM

Chances are good that someone who is not a member and is looking in a vendor's subforum would not even see competing advertisements. As I said it's based (not entirely) on what the user who is looking at the page commonly looks for. There is still a chance since its also based on where the ads are. It is more likely to see kitchen related ads on KKF.

JBroida
02-13-2014, 06:31 PM
many of us began as paying vendors before ads were ever a problem and had been led to believe that since the beginning, ads would not be present. At the time of the sale, that was reiterated, and yet here we stand. I, for one, am more irritated by the dishonesty than the ads.

Chef Andy
02-13-2014, 06:41 PM
many of us began as paying vendors before ads were ever a problem and had been led to believe that since the beginning, ads would not be present. At the time of the sale, that was reiterated, and yet here we stand. I, for one, am more irritated by the dishonesty than the ads.

If that's the case the ads should be removed immediately. It's bad business otherwise.

Dream Burls
02-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Chances are good that someone who is not a member and is looking in a vendor's subforum would not even see competing advertisements. As I said it's based (not entirely) on what the user who is looking at the page commonly looks for. There is still a chance since its also based on where the ads are. It is more likely to see kitchen related ads on KKF.
It's not a question of them being competing or not, although competing is obviously worse. The issue is paying for a sub-forum and then losing all control over what your customers or potential customers are exposed to. It just doesn't fly.

Chef Andy
02-13-2014, 06:45 PM
It's not a question of them being competing or not, although competing is obviously worse. The issue is paying for a sub-forum and then losing all control over what your customers or potential customers are exposed to. It just doesn't fly.

I understand that completely. I think they should be removed, I was just pointing that out so that people don't make rash decisions. I really don't want to see anyone leave because of this.

HHH Knives
02-13-2014, 06:48 PM

I think the adds are the same throughout the forum.. Based on the screen shots and adds that I have seen myself the unwanted adds are the same on mine as on yours. Not based on individual search records. I may be wrong. But either way THIS SUCKS!!!

I mean what are the odds that I would see the same board add as Boardsmith. I dont search for boards. OR I would see a add about symptoms and some weird comic guy? Like I saw on a screen shot from another member??

I also think the placement is terrible. If it was a single banner add on top of each page, and not directly in my post. Like something I added. It might take a little of the sting out of this. But these are very intrusive and really screwed that they are adds to other sellers of the exact same products and services we PAY to offer here.

Nuf said.
Randy

Dream Burls
02-13-2014, 06:48 PM
I understand that completely. I think they should be removed, I was just pointing that out so that people don't make rash decisions. I really don't want to see anyone leave because of this.

I'm afraid that if it's not fixed you just might.

Chef Andy
02-13-2014, 06:58 PM
I'm certain it will be fixed, it's not worth the ad revenue if vendors are going to leave because of it. I just don't know fast it will be fixed.

ThEoRy
02-13-2014, 07:37 PM
Nice.

jer
02-13-2014, 07:42 PM
I am not trying to stir the pot but for context and perspective of the negative reaction, this was an exchange that took place when the transfer of ownership took place:

Welcome Austin, Glad to hear you have some connection to our topic and intend to keep things as they are because I think they have been great so far. Also glad to see that Dave gets a break, I am sure he can use it.

That said, I may be a bit naive when it comes to business things, so I am just asking 'What's in it for you?', i.e. what does a company get from buying forums. Will there be advertising? Fees? Trading of 'customer information'? Just curious,

Stefan

PS You guys all type faster than I can on my phone ;)

I do not, have not, and will never sell information. I see that a violation of trust. Advertising will not change, fees will not change.

As a guess, ads are coming:

Group Builder Advertise (http://www.groupbuilder.com/advertise/)

We will not be adding advertisements, the Vendor relationship setup Dave has fostered will suffice, no additional ads or increase in rates will be done.

I would hate the presence of ads on the site to become an issue similar to what precipitated the creation of this forum and the valuable Vendor relationships that Dave has fostered, which the members and owners of the forum have benefited from.

eshua
02-13-2014, 07:51 PM
Just wanted to say I support add removal. Between add block and membership status I never see any adverts here or anywhere else. Maybe the wild west cheep free content days are almost over, but I would never use a website that looks as terrible as those screen shots....am I spoiled?
I can say that my friends who stream on twitch or youtube tell me you need 100,000+ daily unique views to pay the bills off adverts alone. I can't imagine this is worth losing a fight over. But its also a new business venture for Austin and, giving him a day to run the numbers and realize that seems fair.

JBroida
02-13-2014, 08:12 PM
i use the adblockers too, but it still irritates me knowing they are there

The BoardSMITH
02-13-2014, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Austin
We will not be adding advertisements, the Vendor relationship setup Dave has fostered will suffice, no additional ads or increase in rates will be done.

I had forgotten about that. Looks like in addition to being thrown under the bus a swift kick in the groin has also taken place.

Chef Andy
02-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Please don't decide to leave until Austin has another chance to fix this! I'm certain he will. You make this site a better place.

brainsausage
02-13-2014, 08:38 PM
At this point it's more an ethical debate. I remember reading the above quoted thread back when the sale was first discussed. The better route would have been discussing openly on the forum what form advertising should take. The current ads in the vendors forum are bordering on insulting, and is rather underhanded methinks. I'm not trying to poke the bees nest here. But an apology and removal of said ads is needed at the least IMO.

Chef Andy
02-13-2014, 08:47 PM
Of course it would have been better to discuss them first. Don't know why Austin didn't. Clearly a bad decision.

KKFAdmin
02-14-2014, 10:32 AM
Just to let you guys know, I hear you, and I will get it taken care of.

HHH Knives
02-14-2014, 04:08 PM
Just to let you guys know, I hear you, and I will get it taken care of.

Thank you
Randy

Bill13
02-14-2014, 07:24 PM
Austin,

That is awesome to hear. All the vendors have put in a lot of sweat equity making this forum so great.

I think a good idea next time a big change is contemplated you should at a minimum reach out to every sub-forum owner and give them an advanced heads up and ask for their feedback. It is their best interest to make this site work for you too; and they may have some good ideas for raising the revenue you were looking for that they could be OK with.

The BoardSMITH
02-17-2014, 01:12 PM
I wanted to post this here since the membership can see this.

I told Austin I have decided to stay, mainly for the community that is here and the positive support I have received through my business email account. Every email has been positive and is greatly appreciated.

The reason I came to KKF in the first place was because of an invite from Dave after the meltdown at KF three (?) years ago. Dave and I have been friends, business associates and customers of each other for almost 7 to 8 years of the 9 I have been in business. In those years I have to come to know a great number of you guys either from face-to-face meetings, through phone calls or forum conversations. My sub-forum does supply some business but not enough to warrant the dollar expenditure. So I was a little over protective when I saw an ad for an amateur placed within one of my posts. So I reacted. My reaction was not meant to be disruptive or cause anyone to leave just because I did but was just my way of saying I didn't appreciate the intrusion. Austin said he would kill the ads and maybe look for other means to raise revenue from the forum which I support. Without that revenue there is no real reason to stay in business.

Thanks for all the well wishes as I was laid up with the stomach bug. It was awful and I am still feeling some of the effects but am on the mend.

Bill13
02-17-2014, 01:38 PM
Great News!! I'm going to have to celebrate by ordering a large walnut board for my June B-day.

ThEoRy
02-17-2014, 01:40 PM
Glad you stayed. I totally understand your view and I'm happy to hear this was resolved.

Dream Burls
02-17-2014, 02:09 PM
Dave, I'm glad you decided to stay and that this issue has seemingly been resolved. Also glad that you're feeling better.

erikz
02-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Very good news man. Very happy you're staying. Good luck with full recovery from that nasty bug that was pestering you.

gavination
02-17-2014, 04:14 PM
Hurray! I'm glad you've decided to stay! I guess we just need to buy more boards to make it even more worthwhile for you. :lol:

Chef Andy
02-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Awesome news!! Glad to hear it, happy you're feeling better.

Mucho Bocho
02-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Yea. It I'm still seeing adds on ios7. Austin did say he was looking into it but until it's resolved I'm annoyed browsing the site.

V1P
02-19-2014, 08:23 AM
IOS7 here too and still have ads.

Chef Andy
02-19-2014, 08:30 AM
If it's the app he might have to release a new version of the app to get rid of the adds, they probably are in the programming of the app, not the site. Check if there's an update available.

I could be wrong tho.

KKFAdmin
02-19-2014, 04:11 PM
There's an update at the end of the month we're waiting on that will get rid of the ads.