PDA

View Full Version : Searching for my next knife....

macmiddlebrooks
07-30-2011, 02:51 PM
My recent introduction to Japanese knives was a Gesshin Ginga 240mm Gyuto.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6008/5938303766_71590979fa_b.jpg

I think it is a fantastic knife and I'm very glad I bought it. I'm finding, however, that my preference at work is to use this:
Phillip Patton's "western santoku" (bad pic,sorry). It's a heck of a knife, but I'd rather leave it home with the Gesshin where it's less likely to get too banged-up or "borrowed" by a co-worker.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/5857092419_af3928b6cf_b.jpg

I seem to reach for it more based on a couple things:

- It's shorter (7.25") and seems more manageable in cramped quarters.
- The tip is lower on the profile and I don't have to bend my wrist down to use that last inch or so when doing more delicate work.
- It's 3mm thick close to the handle (vs. the gyuto's 2mm) and while it does have a distal taper, it's nowhere close to as thin as the Gyuto's. I guess I'm finding I prefer not to have a lot of flexing going on when working with certain foods.

So, am I looking for a 3mm/7" santoku? Or maybe a beefier 210mm gyuto? I'd really like this to be my last knife purchase for some time, so I gotta get it right this time! Thanks for your help.

El Pescador
07-30-2011, 03:05 PM
JKI sells a 210mm suji from heiji. TK59 has it and it on hell of a knife...

macmiddlebrooks
07-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Looks great, but I should also add that $200 is my max budget since it's to be a work knife.

Eamon Burke
07-30-2011, 03:55 PM
What's wrong with the western Santoku that you have? Sounds like it works great for you...what are you trying to get out of a new knife?

macmiddlebrooks
07-30-2011, 06:35 PM
There's nothing wrong with it, I just don't want to take it to work. I'm looking for a suitable replacement that I can leave in my locker after my shift and keep the custom knife in my kitchen at home.

Seb
07-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Does it have to be stainless? The Masamoto CT and Masahiro VC lines include wide-bladed 210mm Yo-gyutos that look like long santokus. And the Masamoto CN and Masahiro rosewood series are bolsterless and priced quite a bit lower.

There was also an Aritsugu on Aframestokyo a while back. Check this out for hefty:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1620/2089642/12259273/366809791.jpg

macmiddlebrooks
07-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Good suggestions, thanks. Stainless or Carbon is good. I'm leaning towards a "pointy" (if that exists) yo handled santoku around 3mm thick.

Lefty
07-30-2011, 09:35 PM
If I were you, I'd see if anyone is interested in selling a used 6.5 sun Carter SFGZ funayuki. I honesty
Think it would be exactly what you're looking for. His knives are thin(ish) without feeling fragile, with incredible grinds, and I haven't noticed any flex in mine (it is shorter, however).
If you prefer Western style handles, look for an SFGZ RH. I have a feeling people would even be more willing to let one go, than one of his regular wa-handled knives.

Avishar
07-31-2011, 11:59 AM
If I were you, I'd see if anyone is interested in selling a used 6.5 sun Carter SFGZ funayuki. I honesty
Think it would be exactly what you're looking for. His knives are thin(ish) without feeling fragile, with incredible grinds, and I haven't noticed any flex in mine (it is shorter, however).
If you prefer Western style handles, look for an SFGZ RH. I have a feeling people would even be more willing to let one go, than one of his regular wa-handled knives.

Stop pushing my knife Tom! You can have it when I'm done with it :tease:

I was just thinking the same thing. Most people don't find an aesthetic appeal to the SFGZ series anyway so its less likely to be babied and/or stolen!