PDA

View Full Version : YouTube Knuckleheads

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Dave Martell
03-14-2012, 01:23 PM
This one is truly masterful. So many amazing pearls of hippie knife wisdom rolled into one video: the forearm measurement standard that you should get a good, quality, really sharp knife "like literally for 2dollars50 at the dollar store", the best device for ultimate sharpness, and a tomato test that would put Salty to shame....t's really one of the best I've seen in a long time....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRniP-HGdxI
If your brain starts to liquefy and run out of your ears, you can skip to ~5:30 to get schooled on proper "chopping" technique that she learned while "working at a Chinese restaurant"

She is exactly the reason for this thread's existence. Great find Justin!

Taz575
03-14-2012, 01:51 PM
At 6:08, you can see the tip of her knife is straight, almost birds beak style, from her sharpener!

Eamon Burke
03-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Damn, Taz you are right!

That video raised my blood pressure. I mean, the word "chop" has never been repeated to me until it's meaningless before. And that's saying something. Chop. Chawp. Chawp. Chup. Chawp. Chopp. Chop. Chop. :spin chair:

That reminds me! I'm moved! I gotta make some videos!

mpukas
03-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Poor little hippie thing. She really thinks she's helping. Just imagine the people who look to her for guidance and insight. :eek2:

Taz575
03-14-2012, 03:25 PM
I don't have to imagine, I see them almost daily at work (I work at a VERY LIBERAL college in CT, the movie PCU was based on this place). Most of the kids here are the same mentality. They try to cook, poor cutlery, don't know how to maintain it, and set off the fire alarms constantly. Burning steak at 3am, forgetting about the pizza box they put in the oven to reheat, setting the stove on fire while boiling water, putting an electric coffee pot on the stove (happened this past week), throwing water on a grease fire, etc.

Eamon Burke
03-14-2012, 03:32 PM
I don't have to imagine, I see them almost daily at work (I work at a VERY LIBERAL college in CT, the movie PCU was based on this place). Most of the kids here are the same mentality. They try to cook, poor cutlery, don't know how to maintain it, and set off the fire alarms constantly. Burning steak at 3am, forgetting about the pizza box they put in the oven to reheat, setting the stove on fire while boiling water, putting an electric coffee pot on the stove (happened this past week), throwing water on a grease fire, etc.

...and yet many of them still don't know how to chop. I mean, you may be like "but I like how I chawp". That's fine, whatever, you can chop like that if you want. But if you are going to chop, even if you can't make a pizza, just learn how to chop like you chop because chop chop chowp. chowp. chop. chop.

Justin0505
03-14-2012, 05:57 PM
...just learn how to chop like you chop because chop chop chowp. chowp. chop. chop.

:rofl2: Hahaha, I was just about crying after reading your last two posts. -She really did a number on your huh?

What gets me is that she keeps talking about all of these people who have horrible knives and terrible knife skills. Who are these people? I keep picturing a yurt full of hippies trying to "chop" things with rocks and pointy sticks and old iceskates.

Congrats on the new place Eamon! You need to balance this video out with some more of your own.

El Pescador
03-14-2012, 06:17 PM
:rofl2: Hahaha, I was just about crying after reading your last two posts. -She really did a number on your huh?

What gets me is that she keeps talking about all of these people who have horrible knives and terrible knife skills. Who are these people? I keep picturing a yurt full of hippies trying to "chop" things with rocks and pointy sticks and old iceskates.

Congrats on the new place Eamon! You need to balance this video out with some more of your own.

Thinking the same thing but a drum circle but with cutting boards instead of drums...

Twistington
03-14-2012, 06:59 PM
This idiot made me evacuate my bowels suddenly & violently. I wonder if her parents had any kids that lived?

Nah, she's just the afterbirth. :O

SpikeC
03-14-2012, 09:54 PM
I love her. Push it in and pull it out.

Taz575
03-14-2012, 10:12 PM
But it looks like she just does the tip in and out; the knife has a completely flat tip section!!! LMAO:fanning::O:lol2:

Eamon Burke
03-14-2012, 11:01 PM
She uses a hang drum for a wok.

TB_London
03-15-2012, 09:21 AM
that was awesome, like the description of how knives that get thick at the top tend to wedge, she's not sure why, they just do. And the pleading to people to buy a decent knife, sharpen it and learn how to use it.

I think Eamon's first video should be a spoof remake with him in a blonde dread wig.....chawp chawp

Taz575
03-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Chop Chawp! Found another of her videos with her amazing knife skills!! Chop Chawp! See how the knife wedges, too :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lUaUKl8RKc&feature=plcp&context=C4ec9218VDvjVQa1PpcFML1LsVCUdeWHklipATvnGi FuGuGQESzhs%3D

l r harner
03-15-2012, 11:04 AM
at least her skills looked better then last time but thats not hard

mano
03-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Well, we now know the name of almost every single part of a knife is called, "This part here."

Dave Martell
03-17-2012, 10:45 PM
The one and only thing that I can agree on contained within this video is that he's using a Burr-King - everything else is knucklehead worthy BS. :D

I only wish that the majority of you could appreciate the level of sharpening skills being shown so that you could enjoy this video on a whole other level that I can. Someone should tell this guy to take a pro level sharpening class somewhere before he takes money for doing this stuff. :lol2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dDsWh_M7Rek

After watching the first video this next one will make sense....mmmkay :rofl2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4_tOiLB_Ko&feature=related

knyfeknerd
03-17-2012, 11:03 PM
The one and only thing that I can agree on contained within this video is that he's using a Burr-King - everything else is knucklehead worthy BS. :D

I only wish that the majority of you could appreciate the level of sharpening skills being shown so that you could enjoy this video on a whole other level that I can. Someone should tell this guy to take a pro level sharpening class somewhere before he takes money for doing this stuff.

If I'm not mistaken, this guy does/did services for Mark R. I believe he has a business selling stropping compounds too.From what I've heard, he is good. I don't know first hand. I can't speak ill or favorably of the guy-but he does talk a lot like Mr. Mackey.

Crothcipt
03-17-2012, 11:16 PM
mmmmmkay. the whole time I kept thinking that the knife will end up cutting the belt. (kinda hoping it would too.)

Dave Martell
03-17-2012, 11:33 PM
"So we see, mmmkay, that we can grind a knife asymmetrically, mmmkay, by grinding more on one side than the other, mmmkay"

Yeah.....and....tell us something that my kid doesn't know, mmmkay :D

Crothcipt
03-17-2012, 11:36 PM
lol ya can you just show us before you say mmmmkay smore?? But I did learn something no matter if it took me 15x as long to do so.

Marko Tsourkan
03-18-2012, 12:04 AM
So, why not use an expensive knife for demonstration? What difference does it make for skilled hands?

Taz575
03-18-2012, 01:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1hmf2Fc2UU

Kept flinching when she jabs the knives towards the camera. The whole video is painful to watch.

ecchef
03-18-2012, 05:17 AM
"...and me from the point of view that I know better than you...." HOLY F**K! She's got some pair of balls if she really believes that.

Just an orange, just a knife & JUST AN IDIOT!

bieniek
03-18-2012, 08:59 AM
eighties are totally back.

Marko Tsourkan
03-18-2012, 09:41 AM

Kept flinching when she jabs the knives towards the camera. The whole video is painful to watch.

Ohhh.... Clueless...

Long live YouTube, the land of clueless!

M

knyfeknerd
03-18-2012, 09:43 AM
How to buy grass fed beef and why menstrual cups arevawesome.....i definitely gotta watch all her videos.....im really looking forward tO the everything i wanted to know about dreadlocks video!.....Ryan

I showed this vid to my wife. I can't believe she watched the whole thing. She enjoyed it so much that she actually watched the menstrual cup! I had to leave the room. We are going to start an underground love vitamin supper club. Tonight we are going to view the dreadlocks video. What type of cuisine goes with dreadlocks?

ecchef
03-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Weed. Lots of weed.

Chifunda
03-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Weed. Lots of weed.

Maybe a side of magic mushrooms.

Johnny.B.Good
03-18-2012, 11:43 AM
"...and me from the point of view that I know better than you...." HOLY F**K! She's got some pair of balls if she really believes that.

That is the least crazy of her beliefs judging by her website: http://juneroca.com/

Be sure to check out the store.

Mind = blown.

Dave Martell
03-18-2012, 06:31 PM
So, why not use an expensive knife for demonstration? What difference does it make for skilled hands?

He wouldn't risk a nice knife in his own hands........and to think I thought he was stupid. :D

Eamon Burke
03-18-2012, 07:17 PM
I showed this vid to my wife. I can't believe she watched the whole thing. She enjoyed it so much that she actually watched the menstrual cup! I had to leave the room. We are going to start an underground love vitamin supper club. Tonight we are going to view the dreadlocks video. What type of cuisine goes with dreadlocks?

1. Menstrual cups are awesome. No garbage generated, no risk of TSS or bleach, it doesn't absorb moisture and change the vaginal pH...they really are great.

2. Cuisine to go with real dreads? Jerk Chicken and Red Stripe. White folk dreads? Nutritional yeast coated Kale Chips and Kombucha.

Eamon Burke
03-18-2012, 07:19 PM
That is the least crazy of her beliefs judging by her website: http://juneroca.com/

Mind = blown.

The video listed uses the phrase "multi-dimensional beaming". I had to go back, did a youtube double-take on that one.

Marko Tsourkan
03-18-2012, 07:27 PM
He wouldn't risk a nice knife in his own hands........and to think I thought he was stupid. :D

I think demonstrating a skill on real knives is so much more impressive than on beaters, because beaters forgive mistakes. :)

M

SpikeC
03-18-2012, 09:11 PM
The video listed uses the phrase "multi-dimensional beaming". I had to go back, did a youtube double-take on that one.

And Reptilians!!!

ecchef
03-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Matt Stone & Trey Parker could make her a superstar!

mpukas
03-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Don't know what's most revolting - RR, the knives, or the sharpening equipment. Excuse me while I go hurl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyu4vNvqnvQ

(and no, I didn't - CAN'T - watch the whole thing...)

Crothcipt
03-18-2012, 10:48 PM
wow I heard Rachael Ray say, "you can grind the tail."

SpikeC
03-18-2012, 11:05 PM
She needs a new wardrobe person.

mpukas
03-18-2012, 11:22 PM
She needs a new wardrobe person.

She needs a lot more than that. Good Gawd Awful!!!! BLECHHH!

Dave Martell
03-18-2012, 11:34 PM
How dare you guys talk about RR and her coppertail that way!?

Crothcipt
03-19-2012, 12:02 AM
What? she seemed happy to talk, about her coppertail that way.:ohmy:

TB_London
03-19-2012, 07:27 AM

Mind = blown.

*** did i just read

Johnny.B.Good
03-19-2012, 01:10 PM
*** did i just read

Told you.

I consider myself pretty well read, but I confess I've never read up on the "history of the interdimensional portal."

mpukas
03-20-2012, 01:20 AM
Aw *&$^) it, while we're at it... some of the biggest marketing BS ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVCM5BfeA8c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKgGlpe45T0&feature=related

Looks like I gotta me at least three different knives jsut peel and cut an onion. How have I ever lived without that super duper paddle shaped serrated thingy???

knyfeknerd
03-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Alton Brown can over-complicate making toast. What a chode. If I would have seen this 10 years ago, I would've never bought a Shun. I'm literally trying to give mine away now and have no takers. He said he's in a "comitted monogamous relationship" with Shun. Bring on the sex tape !!!

Eamon Burke
03-21-2012, 08:50 AM
Except for a VERY small fraction of his terminology, I find nothing to take issue with in those videos. Also, you don't need a paring knife to top and tail an onion, and he wastes a lot of bell pepper. The knife stuff, I say is all spot on, especially considering his audience.

He states in Gear for Your Kitchen that he prefers his Shun Classic 8" Chefs over his Murray Carter Santoku. He just likes Shuns, and rightly so. Most people can't tell the difference between a well sharpened Shun and a high end custom, at least not for a few years.

l r harner
03-21-2012, 11:11 AM
might be full of marketing but its atleast truth to it and not nearly as bad as the 2 bit hacks that show knife skills (sorry i dont think it rates to be listed with the rest the trash in this thred )
at least its helping get people away for walmart 29$ 10 piece sets of knives

knyfeknerd
03-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Alton is definitely a smart guy. He knows his stuff. I just can't sit through this vid. Life is too short. Plus his voice/commentary/style is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I'd rather watch the love vitamin do an instructional fugu video.

Johnny.B.Good
03-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Plus his voice/commentary/style is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I'd rather watch the love vitamin do an instructional fugu video.

+1

Chifunda
03-21-2012, 04:32 PM
I'd rather watch the love vitamin do an instructional fugu video.

Only if she promised to eat it.

Okay, not really. I don't think she's an evil person...just a twit. :dazed:

bieniek
03-21-2012, 04:55 PM
I dont know why would che suddenly start producing knife movies since she have no clue about it.

"Just sat there on the sofa the other day high with LSD and thought it would be cool to talk a little on something I totally have no clue'bout, like chawping"

dragonlord
03-22-2012, 08:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yklnhIBDu0g

Crothcipt
03-22-2012, 09:04 PM
lol it would be better if the movement in the table was edited out. funny little vid.

SpikeC
03-22-2012, 09:42 PM
I love it! Especially the 'tude at the end!

Eamon Burke
03-23-2012, 01:12 AM
Damn. I gotta take my sharps to the stones again!

TB_London
03-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Not knife related but knuckleheads all the same

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsamwOs2slI&sns=em

mpukas
03-23-2012, 02:16 PM
might be full of marketing but its atleast truth to it and not nearly as bad as the 2 bit hacks that show knife skills (sorry i dont think it rates to be listed with the rest the trash in this thred )
at least its helping get people away for walmart 29$ 10 piece sets of knives

Yeah I agree, he's good for educating the general public. I used to LOVE Good Eats, and I've learned a lot from him, about food, chemistry, etc. But he's basically reguritating info he gets from other sources in his own lingo and then comes across as claiming it as his own (not that we, as individuals, don't do that ourselves). Not that I have a problem w/ capitalism by any means, but I find it off-putting his plug for Shun based on his success. I don't think he has a contract with them any longer. What ever happen to Alton's Angle knives? I used to like AB a lot, but in the last couple of years I find he has become an arrogant, pompous ass. He was nicer and much funnier when he was young and chubby. And he's a terrible cook. Hence, he gets Knucklehead Listed! :eek2:

ecchef
03-23-2012, 09:57 PM
That's some funny s**t Tom! :rofl2:

EdipisReks
03-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Yeah I agree, he's good for educating the general public. I used to LOVE Good Eats, and I've learned a lot from him, about food, chemistry, etc. But he's basically reguritating info he gets from other sources in his own lingo and then comes across as claiming it as his own (not that we, as individuals, don't do that ourselves). Not that I have a problem w/ capitalism by any means, but I find it off-putting his plug for Shun based on his success. I don't think he has a contract with them any longer. What ever happen to Alton's Angle knives? I used to like AB a lot, but in the last couple of years I find he has become an arrogant, pompous ass. He was nicer and much funnier when he was young and chubby. And he's a terrible cook. Hence, he gets Knucklehead Listed! :eek2:

i love an awful lot of his recipes.

Andrew H
03-23-2012, 11:34 PM
i love an awful lot of his recipes.

I haven't found a bad one yet. I also don't know what you mean by "reguritating info he gets from other sources in his own lingo and then comes across as claiming it as his own." I've never seen him do that, and unless you are a researcher in a particular field don't you just 'regurgitate info you get from other sources.' :dazed:

Eamon Burke
03-23-2012, 11:38 PM
I do feel that a cookbook I previously LOVED, I'm Just Here for the Food, is completely replaced in my life with On Food and Cooking. But I can totally see why someone needed to bridge the gap between Harold McGee and Rachael Ray.

Every recipe from Alton I've tried is fabulous, especially because if you watch the episode with it, you don't have to follow the recipe exactly! His Apple Pie recipe doesn't yield enough crust dough, for example, but you aren't just floundering in your kitchen trying to increase proportions, you actually have a sense of why the ingredients are in it and what they are doing. Sure, he's a pop culture goofball, but he and I have eerily similar tastes and childhood food memories.

jaybett
03-24-2012, 02:31 AM
+1

Jay

jaybett
03-24-2012, 02:47 AM

Heck, I learned about Shun Knives from his endorsement. And one thing led to another....

He's always been open, where he has gotten his ideas, from Jeff Smith to Shirley Corriher, to restaurants that he has visited. What I appreciate about him, is his ability to explain the role each ingredient plays in a dish, to why a technique is important.

In the Good Eats cookbooks some of the recipes that appeared on the show, viewers wrote in about problems. I thought it showed, he cared enough about the product, that the recipes were reviewed again, the cause of problems identified, and revised recipes offered.

Jay

knyfeknerd
03-24-2012, 07:45 AM

Yeah I watched this with my wife and she says "you notice how almost every dumb*** in this is a man, not a woman?"

Yes dear,

Eamon Burke
03-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Yeah I watched this with my wife and she says "you notice how almost every dumb*** in this is a man, not a woman?"

Yes dear,

Bet you they are almost all married though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0ow4X8tiMI

knyfeknerd
03-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Awww Hell, I know you didn't just Star Wars me!!!! I'm the biggest Star Wars nerd I know........much to the wife's dismay. I'm forbidden to get any more Star Wars tattoos. I'm this close to selling some of my giant Star Wars collection off for knives though............

Johnny.B.Good
03-24-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm forbidden to get any more Star Wars tattoos.

I'll believe this when I see (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/3300-Let-s-see-your-tattoos!?p=50874&viewfull=1#post50874) it. :)

Eamon Burke
03-24-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm not anymore, but when I was a boy....you'd be shocked how much I knew and focused on Star Wars. Basically it was all Star Wars until Lord of the Rings came into my life. I was fortunate enough to be into both before they hit theaters in my life, so I got to experience the full effects of fandom!

Candlejack
03-24-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm not anymore, but when I was a boy....you'd be shocked how much I knew and focused on Star Wars. Basically it was all Star Wars until Lord of the Rings came into my life. I was fortunate enough to be into both before they hit theaters in my life, so I got to experience the full effects of fandom!

Why can't girls like star wars as much as us guys? What changed for you?

Eamon Burke
03-25-2012, 02:42 AM
Why can't girls like star wars as much as us guys? What changed for you?

I read LotR and found it vastly superior. Later in life, I would find out that the things I loved about Star Wars were all absent from the new ones. Couldn't figure out what that was, then over time I found out that it was Gary Kurtz and Frank Oz. Basically, I get the same thrills from waiting for Panzer 88 to come out that I once got as a misdirected boy waiting for the new Star Wars film, only to get copious amounts of Pepsi advertising.

Then after a few years of LotR obsession(when I went to public school my number 2 goal was to find someone who enjoyed Tolkien's work as much as myself), I see a teaser preview and think "psh, that's a ripoff of Lord of the Rings"...then it IS Lord of the Rings. I about pissed myself. And Jackson didn't let down.

This year, when the Hobbit comes out, I will be taking 2 days off work. I'll watch it a few times the first day, and recover the next.

JohnnyChance
03-25-2012, 05:18 AM
Later in life, I would find out that the things I loved about Star Wars were all absent from the new ones. Couldn't figure out what that was...

If you still can't quite put your finger on it, this guys points out everything that is wrong with the prequels. Things you already knew and plenty of things you didn't even realize were so bad until he mentions it. He has a review for each of the prequels, and each one is vastly more entertaining than the movie it is discussing (and nearly as long; the review for Phantom Menace is 7 parts and over an hour long, but totally worth it).

Also, very NSFW.

Remember, NSFW or children or the easily offended: contains cursing and includes a creepy and slightly disturbing narrator. Part 1 isn't that bad though, except for some swearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FxKtZmQgxrI

Candlejack
03-25-2012, 08:00 AM
I read LotR and found it vastly superior. Later in life, I would find out that the things I loved about Star Wars were all absent from the new ones. Couldn't figure out what that was, then over time I found out that it was Gary Kurtz and Frank Oz. Basically, I get the same thrills from waiting for Panzer 88 to come out that I once got as a misdirected boy waiting for the new Star Wars film, only to get copious amounts of Pepsi advertising.

Then after a few years of LotR obsession(when I went to public school my number 2 goal was to find someone who enjoyed Tolkien's work as much as myself), I see a teaser preview and think "psh, that's a ripoff of Lord of the Rings"...then it IS Lord of the Rings. I about pissed myself. And Jackson didn't let down.

This year, when the Hobbit comes out, I will be taking 2 days off work. I'll watch it a few times the first day, and recover the next.

Actually, i was doing a sex-change joke.

But both of these series are good, i enjoy star wars more though, especially the KotOR-games.

Eamon Burke
03-25-2012, 12:31 PM
If you still can't quite put your finger on it, this guys points out everything that is wrong with the prequels. Things you already knew and plenty of things you didn't even realize were so bad until he mentions it. He has a review for each of the prequels, and each one is vastly more entertaining than the movie it is discussing (and nearly as long; the review for Phantom Menace is 7 parts and over an hour long, but totally worth it).

Also, very NSFW.

Remember, NSFW or children or the easily offended: contains cursing and includes a creepy and slightly disturbing narrator. Part 1 isn't that bad though, except for some swearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FxKtZmQgxrI

I saw that a while back and make anyone watch it that will sit still long enough. Spot on, through and through.

Johnny.B.Good
03-25-2012, 12:45 PM
I saw that a while back and make anyone watch it that will sit still long enough. Spot on, through and through.

I just watched the first four parts. Genius.

Have to pause for breakfast or I would keep going.

Crothcipt
03-25-2012, 08:05 PM
I really liked this guys reasoning. It made more sense than trying to fix the problems in other lore areas. Ty for the post.

JohnnyChance
03-26-2012, 03:16 AM
I just watched the first four parts. Genius.

Have to pause for breakfast or I would keep going.

That's how it goes. I'm not even a Star Wars fan and at first thought "there is no way I am going to watch 70 minutes of this". Before I knew it, I was on part 5 of 7. And now I have watched his reviews for all three prequels at least once, and reviews of his other movies. Great stuff.

"What's wrong with your fa-a-a-a-a-ace!?"

bieniek
03-26-2012, 10:55 AM
I would like to add this... I dont know what Your are thinking about it, but the shape of the knife hes sharpening and the job he is doing and the state of the blade itself... WOW, thats a piece of shite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZj0I3mpBGg&feature=player_embedded

stereo.pete
04-01-2012, 10:14 AM
I would like to add this... I dont know what Your are thinking about it, but the shape of the knife hes sharpening and the job he is doing and the state of the blade itself... WOW, thats a piece of shite!

Itasan18 is a badass when it comes to breaking down fish. I just can't get over the terrible opening music in all of his videos, sounds like some demented children's program.

bieniek
04-02-2012, 04:32 AM
Im just saying about the linked video. Horrible knives.

ecchef
04-02-2012, 04:57 AM

"Don't criticize a craftsman's tools until you see what he can do with them!" :fishslap:

slowtyper
04-02-2012, 05:36 AM

I really don't see anything about AB passing "knowledge" off as his own. This is all research...how do you own knowledge anyways? He states all the time that he does a ton of research for all of his shows. Pretty sure I've seen Alton Brown using one of Carter's knives on his show.

bieniek
04-02-2012, 02:38 PM
"Don't criticize a craftsman's tools until you see what he can do with them!" :fishslap:

?
Im far from criticizing the tools, I dont care about them.

The problem is he seems like he isnt, either, lol

Eamon Burke
04-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Lol zing!

Mucho Bocho
04-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Not a kitchen knife, but close :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e77oXjFkIs

OMG I can't stop laughing. Big knife expert. good one

knyfeknerd
04-02-2012, 04:23 PM
OMG I can't stop laughing. Big knife expert. good one

Yes!!!! This is awesome!!! I can't stop watching it!
It has a lifetime warranty. Is that for the sword's life or yours???

steeley
04-07-2012, 09:11 PM
This is over the top.

http://youtu.be/UY1rqqAieUA

Eamon Burke
04-07-2012, 10:09 PM
I may buy one of those, and sharpen a serrated knife with it a few times to show how it destroys the knife. Maybe not.

Funny ad, but aggravating product.

steeley
04-07-2012, 10:18 PM
IT'S all about the marketing they sell a million .

SpikeC
04-07-2012, 10:32 PM
And how is it different from any other pull through?

Candlejack
04-07-2012, 10:52 PM
b DF3 ÄR VÄSTA JÄCVLA DRYCKESSSPELET NÅGONSIN
BARA DÖr hela jävla tiden och då blir det vara barrre vräre värre

Candlejack
04-07-2012, 10:52 PM
bf3 är det

TB_London
04-17-2012, 10:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn3Fc3j5rgk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Skip to 11mins 30 to see him check it's sharp by hacking at his fingers!!!!!

This guy is doing a whole series of sharpening vids and omfg are they bad

Johnny.B.Good
04-17-2012, 11:11 AM
This guy is doing a whole series of sharpening vids and omfg are they bad

This guy's a clown. I have seen a few of his videos here I think.

ThEoRy
04-17-2012, 01:41 PM
I tried talking with the guy, even invited him here, he doesn't want to listen.

Assclown.

Eamon Burke
04-17-2012, 02:20 PM
oh THAT guy!

I can't wait to watch this one.

stevenStefano
04-17-2012, 02:28 PM
The guy in that last video could just have used 2 stones and probably got better results than what he did with so many

dmccurtis
04-18-2012, 02:13 AM
He knows just enough to believe he knows what he's talking about. That's dangerous.

knyfeknerd
04-18-2012, 03:24 AM
What a douche. That's a lot of esoteric bullcrap sharening advice.
you know those japanese waterstones are all the rage now, but you can get a great edge by sharpening on the concrete in your driveway much faster...............When I'm at home I wear my super-tight black chef coat too.
fear his stache

TB_London
04-18-2012, 04:42 AM
He knows just enough to believe he knows what he's talking about. That's dangerous.

So true

bieniek
04-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Shite hes sick

stevenStefano
04-18-2012, 10:27 AM

Exactly right. He knows the correct words but I don't think he knows their correct meaning

Eamon Burke
04-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Oh my lord. At 11:30 he seriously is self-mutilating.

I would say the biggest problem with those videos is that they are a cumulative run time of over an hour. The biggest problem with sharpening videos and instructionals is that they are either so reductive that they are leaving people clueless, or they are so long winded and ritualistic/macho that people are left feeling like it is beyond their ken, and certainly has nothing to do with cooking.

Eamon Burke
04-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Ok here's one. I know, it's not a kitchen knife, so I'm cheating. But there is some crazy moments in this one. It's long, I didn't watch it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh9iOOGwHAs&feature=related

Taz575
04-18-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm seasick from the camera work on that one!!!:dazed:

stereo.pete
04-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Wow, those two guys are of a special caliber. I love the part when they explain why they keep the stone wet and the third guy mentions lubrication but the "expert" doing the sharpening says that it has absolutely nothing to do with lubrication...LOL.

TB_London
04-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Oh my lord. At 11:30 he seriously is self-mutilating.

just tried it with one of my Carter's, didn't go so well :(

Crothcipt
04-18-2012, 06:48 PM
6215:surrendar::plus1:

SpikeC
04-18-2012, 09:04 PM
I'll bet that hurt.

bieniek
04-20-2012, 02:18 PM

When i saw that in the movie I thought to myself: "If that knife was really sharp you wouldnt have that fingernail anymore!! "

At least he seems happy and satisfied.

brainsausage
04-22-2012, 12:47 PM
"I love them so much, I can't stop eatin'!" :rofl2:

That made the me lose my ****

brainsausage
04-22-2012, 01:31 PM

This reminds me of my acid days- confusing, uncomfortable, yet oddly hilarious...

Still-edo
04-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Wow is she eating while she's showing off her cutting skills? lol Guess she couldn't wait.

Mucho Bocho
04-24-2012, 12:04 PM
OMG is that some funny $#!+. What a bute

Taz575
04-24-2012, 01:10 PM
I love how she forgets what she was talking about and just goes quiet. Then starts eating. I cringed to heat what sounded like the serrations sawing through the orange towards the end.

She has over 1000 videos!!!!!?!?!?!?!?! Breath Orgasm???

mpukas
05-03-2012, 01:13 AM
How Americans cut fish...

Don't ask, don't make nasty comments, just watch, enjoy, and be grateful for the knowledge, tools and skills you have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwBWYr7J7LU&feature=related

Crothcipt
05-03-2012, 01:32 AM
omg I hope he never gets closer to Tuna than from a can.

steeley
05-03-2012, 01:44 AM
Teach a man to fish and watch him waste it .
that poor fish.

Eamon Burke
05-03-2012, 02:16 AM
I admire his enthusiasm with which he really gets his hands in there.

But his appreciation for the life of the fish somehow fails to equate to a sense of reverence for it as a living thing that died for his dinner.

...Then you get to the end, where he washes the meat in the tank full of whole fish. :eek2:

Johnny.B.Good
05-03-2012, 03:58 AM
...Then you get to the end, where he washes the meat in the tank full of whole fish. :eek2:

This stood out for me too.

I will pass on the "carp balls" thank you very much (must have been some wedding).

ecchef
05-03-2012, 05:15 AM
MmmmMMMMMMMMM! Party time at the single wide! :crazy:

Carp balls = redneck gefilte fish? :scratchhead:

Twistington
05-03-2012, 05:32 AM
I'm not sure if i watched deleted scenes from trailer park boys or a random knucklehead video. :)

TB_London
05-03-2012, 07:32 AM
More meat went in the garbage than into the kitchen, what a shame.
Kind of wish I had him for a neighbour though, would be good bartering

Dave Martell
05-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Was that a joke? No way was that guy serious....no way

ThEoRy
05-03-2012, 11:29 AM
I've commented on that video. Tried being as nice as possible while still disagreeing with his. "method". Thumbs up my comment if you wish.

echerub
05-03-2012, 11:43 AM
That was... quite something to watch. Lack of finesse aside, I can't believe so much of the fish was wasted.

mpukas
05-03-2012, 12:13 PM
No sense being mean - he seems like a really nice guy with a lot of enthusiasm and willingness to share.

But I'm not sure what go to me the most... I watched that whole thing with my jaw on the table... unsanitary, bad fillet'ing, wasted meat...

I dare you to watch the second part where he cooks it...

Dave Martell
05-03-2012, 12:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkvVoK2ZCxg&list=UUE1ea4C_lNKv_XU9OsnY_gQ& index=9&feature=plcp

Dave Martell
05-03-2012, 12:52 PM
In his kitchen? I laughed my ass off at this! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqvfEMZlpn8&feature=autoplay&list=UUE1ea4C _lNKv_XU9OsnY_gQ&playnext=1

VoodooMajik
05-03-2012, 01:06 PM
This reminds me of my acid days- confusing, uncomfortable, yet oddly hilarious...

`This one says there`s a god, This one say there is no god, and this one says there is a mind implanted in us by an inter-dimensional being`

I Think she may be experimenting herself.

slowtyper
05-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Seems like such a nice guy

Candlejack
05-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Seems like such a nice guy

I don't think he seems like such a bad guy, really

Vertigo
05-03-2012, 05:13 PM
I've commented on that video. Tried being as nice as possible while still disagreeing with his. "method". Thumbs up my comment if you wish.

Best be tracking yourself down some carp and making a video response, brah.

Johnny.B.Good
05-03-2012, 05:25 PM

I don't either, but he is pretty far down my list of possible wedding caterers!

Noodle Soup
05-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Buffalo fish aren't carp. While I heard of them when I was growing up in the mid-west, I've never caught or eaten one. Maybe his methods are the best way to approach the job, I wouldn't know. Has anyone else here had experience with this species of fish?

SpikeC
05-03-2012, 09:15 PM
I would like to see how a Japanese would approach this fish.
And I was thinking, why not just use a chainsaw?

Pensacola Tiger
05-03-2012, 09:22 PM
I would like to see how a Japanese would approach this fish.
And I was thinking, why not just use a chainsaw?

Why not the Bass-O-Matic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BQFv83QJ2Y

Eamon Burke
05-03-2012, 09:40 PM
In his kitchen? I laughed my ass off at this! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqvfEMZlpn8&feature=autoplay&list=UUE1ea4C _lNKv_XU9OsnY_gQ&playnext=1

lol 9 minutes to say "Hey, you got a dead skunk you wanna keep for some reason, but it stinks? You know, cause it's a skunk?. Wash it with 1pt HO, 1/4c baking soda, and dish soap." I love efficient videos.

brainsausage
05-03-2012, 10:25 PM

There's a lotta nice guys out there. Doesn't mean they should be teaching people how to ruin a fish...

ThEoRy
05-04-2012, 12:58 AM
My comment and the subsequent comments approving mine have been removed. Surprising. :doublethumbsup:

Crothcipt
05-04-2012, 01:12 AM
I didn't get the chance to read yours but there are a ton of comments pretty much stating how much he wasted and his skills needs some help.

steeley
05-04-2012, 01:57 AM
I smell reality TV show !
that skunk was really well behaved.
I can,t believe i just saw a guy wash a skunk, a new high in my book.:tooth:

eshua
05-06-2012, 02:21 AM
Don't know if this is new, but just listening gives me a headache

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FntD3KgIaY&feature=relmfu

Crothcipt
05-06-2012, 03:30 AM
omg I could only get through 5 min of it.

GlassEye
05-06-2012, 03:32 AM
I watched about 8:30 of it. Sounds like it could possibly be a computer speaking.

stevenStefano
05-06-2012, 07:58 AM
That last one was hilarious, the guy sounds a bit Dutch to me. I love how he says "strength" starting with a T

Eamon Burke
05-06-2012, 01:28 PM
I dunno, I knew a well-to-do kid from Hong Kong and he started speaking English like they taught him in school. It sounded exactly like this.

Citizen Snips
05-06-2012, 01:42 PM
when that guy takes the cleaver to that carp, i about peed my pants.

Eamon Burke
05-06-2012, 01:47 PM
AAGGGH I can't stop watching it.

Onion pellets.

It weel tasta guuuud.

We need ginger pellets for burdunee. Some would PRE-fair to usa the juice-urrr.

Reminds me of this:
http://vimeo.com/30767628

bieniek
05-14-2012, 11:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIGmlxSc7Oo&feature=player_embedded

unfortunately.

Justin0505
05-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Don't know if this is new, but just listening gives me a headache

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FntD3KgIaY&feature=relmfu

Amazing. Great find.

Still-edo
05-25-2012, 06:09 PM
I wonder, do the CCK people go to work and chuckle at videos like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOumJ0B1Cj8&feature=player_embedded#!

Still-edo
05-25-2012, 06:35 PM
How Americans cut fish...

Don't ask, don't make nasty comments, just watch, enjoy, and be grateful for the knowledge, tools and skills you have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwBWYr7J7LU&feature=related

Wow you know how many people I could feed with a fish that size? And how many different dishes? Good lord! That was a huge fish and he butchered it all away!

Dave Martell
05-26-2012, 12:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOumJ0B1Cj8&feature=player_embedded#!

Scraping soap from your freshly shaved face with a dull cleaver =

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zqT2AYq7YcQ/TviUlSUVyAI/AAAAAAAABOo/zbVt2anqTVs/s1600/head_up_ass+2.jpg

Taz575
05-26-2012, 10:01 AM
LMAO Dave!!!!!!

Deckhand
05-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Guy Fieri SNL
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/update-guy-fieri/1261519

Justin0505
05-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Guy Fieri SNL
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/update-guy-fieri/1261519

Speaking of which...

http://youtu.be/A7nVK_E6cqI

I love the part where he talks about cutting himself "real bad" because the "other" knife didn't allow proper grip, and he then proceeds to demo his preferred grip w/ his thumb on the spine... :slaphead:

SpikeC
05-27-2012, 06:12 PM
I find it amazing that this guy is actually an official representative of this company.

Gravy Power
05-27-2012, 07:31 PM
I find it amazing that this guy is actually an official representative of this company.

Thought the same thing. Maybe he just works there as a janitor or something and he thought he could get a leg up if he started making videos trying to push the line.

Deckhand
05-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Speaking of which...

http://youtu.be/A7nVK_E6cqI

I love the part where he talks about cutting himself "real bad" because the "other" knife didn't allow proper grip, and he then proceeds to demo his preferred grip w/ his thumb on the spine... :slaphead:

Comedy. That was the best they could do. Maybe it's hard to find someone willing to rep knuckle sandwich knives.

steeley
05-28-2012, 05:38 AM
:lol2::laughat:But it has flames on the sides a true mark of quality .

bieniek
05-28-2012, 05:52 AM
Pretty thick santoku. Makes it perfect for root veg i guess

maxim
05-28-2012, 08:42 AM
I can not really decide if his stone is crap, skills or knife :yammer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oHGqrvBv0c

schanop
05-28-2012, 08:45 AM
The usual option on multiple choice question.

EDITED. spoke too soon ... you tortured me Maxim. After skipping and hopping like a kangaroo on my part, don't think the stone is too crap, nor the knife is too bad.

rhygin
05-28-2012, 09:09 AM
This is too much comedy. I'm sure Maxim is familiar, but the battles of Ken have been fairly legendary (in their volume at least, if not their value). To see him now pushing hand sharpening on naturals after the fights with kcma and dave on behalf of jigs is hilarious. I don't know if KC is a member here, and Dave may be too polite to respond, but it's probably best to ignore him ignore unless you have money to spend. He's a promoter.

schanop
05-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Yup. His finish on knives, single bevel in particular, is legendary. My pocket money is tied to maxim's stock ... not a lot left nowadays lol.

maxim
05-28-2012, 09:42 AM
The finish was kind of crapy before and after. And bevel was very uneven. So i dont see what he want to prove in that video . I will be kind of embarrassed to show of that finish :O

I dont say its bad to have that finish, Knife is maybe sharp that is what most important. But he wanted to show Jnat finish. And that fail big time

Eamon Burke
05-28-2012, 01:22 PM
I can not really decide if his stone is crap, skills or knife :yammer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oHGqrvBv0c

14:59
Anyone else see how big and low that hollow is? Could also be a pressure problem, since his fingers never are over that spot. But that spot looks problematic.

Marko Tsourkan
05-28-2012, 01:38 PM
I would like to see that video songified. It could help to unlock its potential.
Example below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMjcDbYxS3M

Dave Martell
05-28-2012, 02:29 PM
....But he wanted to show Jnat finish. And that fail big time

14:20 > = :rofl2:

Dave Martell
05-28-2012, 02:34 PM
This is too much comedy. I'm sure Maxim is familiar, but the battles of Ken have been fairly legendary (in their volume at least, if not their value). To see him now pushing hand sharpening on naturals after the fights with kcma and dave on behalf of jigs is hilarious. I don't know if KC is a member here, and Dave may be too polite to respond, but it's probably best to ignore him ignore unless you have money to spend. He's a promoter.

:word:

BTW, I'm not that polite....LOL :D

Crothcipt
05-28-2012, 06:28 PM
omg I can't believe I watched that whole thing. I was snoozing at 3 min in. I still have no idea what he was trying to do with the cladding. It must have been a bad job.

schanop
05-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Had to jump through to see the legendary finish at the end..

And this is one of the legendary finish on a poor little ko-deba.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/180883_201597829857187_201597433190560_896271_1774 797_n.jpg

PS. sorry this is not a youtube video ... and your cringe, I guess.

Crothcipt
05-28-2012, 06:55 PM
well I have been doing that wrong. My Tananka Santouku is all cloudy. Now I know.

schanop
05-28-2012, 07:03 PM
And curved shinogi line from makers is also wrong.

Eamon Burke
05-28-2012, 08:08 PM
14:59
Anyone else see how big and low that hollow is? Could also be a pressure problem, since his fingers never are over that spot. But that spot looks problematic.

Yikes. Just realized it's a Moritaka. :slaphead:

schanop
05-28-2012, 08:20 PM
The finish was kind of crapy before and after. And bevel was very uneven. So i dont see what he want to prove in that video . I will be kind of embarrassed to show of that finish :O

I dont say its bad to have that finish, Knife is maybe sharp that is what most important. But he wanted to show Jnat finish. And that fail big time

14:20 > = :rofl2:

Sorry to go off youtube again :scared4: a close up shot of high quality finish.

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/fbbuploads/1338220893-hakkaTomaeMoritakacloseup.jpg

Dave Martell
05-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Yikes. Just realized it's a Moritaka. :slaphead: :lol2:

Dave Martell
05-28-2012, 10:48 PM

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/fbbuploads/1338220893-hakkaTomaeMoritakacloseup.jpg

Is that a shot from the knife shown in the video or the surface of your sidewalk? :haha4:

schanop
05-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Is that a shot from the knife shown in the video or the surface of your sidewalk? :haha4:

Oh (http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/923067/) dear. (http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/923066/) :tease:

Sarge
05-29-2012, 12:40 AM
Yikes. Just realized it's a Moritaka. :slaphead:

I'm sure there are pressure problems and potential grind problems, however moritakas also are slightly hollow ground above the edge (shoddy workmanship putting it in leads to the holes) Hence why you see good polish at the edge and above the hollow. As far as Ken and his philosophies go I'm not even going there had enough debates on FF to last a lifetime.

Really surprised though as Maxim said what he was trying to show. An Epic fail if one ever occured.

bieniek
05-29-2012, 05:41 AM
Lets say I understand why he just spent 15 minutes [!] to show you how natural stones finish is different, however, why wouldnt he just make a little section of the blade for show, but with proper progression, instead of producing different scratch patterns all over the place? I mean, some people watching that could think thats the way to go.

Eamon Burke
05-29-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm sure there are pressure problems and potential grind problems

Nah, he said it was the knife.

I was just trying to figure out if the stone was aggressive enough to do that on it's own, which would mean different things for the finish.

mainaman
05-29-2012, 01:39 PM

I love how they never mention that each natural is unique and qualities may vary from stone to stone. They generalize the stone by name and that is it.

maxim
05-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Yeahh that it also huge issue, i have seen Hakkas that was super fine and super coarse, even from same layer and appearance

Dave Martell
05-29-2012, 02:34 PM
I once had a friend here who brought me something fun to see and play with. What he had was a natural (I can't recall what exactly it was) that had a layer broken off of the surface at the half point so that what we now had was a stone with the original surface and then about 2mm down on the other half was another layer. He wanted me to see how different the results he was getting from the two different layers. Well we used a few different knives while trying the stone out and I was just amazed at what we saw, it was like using two absolutely completely different types of stones in both feel and results achieved.

The lesson I learned that day was that even if you find a stone that kicks ass it might not be kicking the ass in a few years time. :)

Sarge
05-30-2012, 01:13 AM
Excellent point sir

Tristan
06-08-2012, 09:58 AM

My second hand inox honyaki looks like that... and I don't know how to fix it... :(

gentlecook
06-15-2012, 08:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jvMjfF3TC8&NR=1
2-10 ooOo..

mainaman
06-15-2012, 08:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jvMjfF3TC8&NR=1
2-10 ooOo..
lol...Oooooooooooooooo

mr drinky
06-15-2012, 01:29 PM

I know how to get that finish.

k.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM2tiu8zS0E

Dave Martell
06-16-2012, 02:19 PM
:rofl2:

Eamon Burke
06-28-2012, 02:27 AM
OMG this is a treasure trove of aggravating bullsh*t.

It's like "Watch me closely--my tools suck, my standards are low, and I don't believe in anything better. I are Master Chef! I show you how."

:flame:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veE0E79dEEc&feature=g-vrec

Uncut food, 6 strokes to split a piece of Celery in half, potatoes welded to the knife, a grip that makes my wrist ache just looking at it...

jm2hill
06-28-2012, 02:57 AM
You know what the sad part is. He has better technique then most of my friends :(.

Crothcipt
06-28-2012, 03:06 AM
He has a 10" knife but he only uses about 2-3 inches of it. Why didn't he show the tip thing on the celery? It would have been much better.

ecchef
06-28-2012, 04:33 AM
That's the kind of guy who uses 1/2 a roll of toilet paper to wipe his bottom.

Candlejack
06-28-2012, 08:49 AM

It's like "Watch me closely--my tools suck, my standards are low, and I don't believe in anything better. I are Master Chef! I show you how."

Uncut food, 6 strokes to split a piece of Celery in half, potatoes welded to the knife, a grip that makes my wrist ache just looking at it...

And captions that Aesop Rock could make into a bestseller..

ThEoRy
06-28-2012, 11:01 AM
the best part is, in the comment section, "Chef" Giovanni is all "Great job chef, blah blah blah"

I can't make this stuff up.

heldentenor
06-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Ah, the coveted endorsement of Chef Giovanni.

Eamon Burke
06-28-2012, 11:51 AM
OMG. That is amazing. You really can't make stuff like that up!

How can they be happy with this? When I was working in my first few kitchens, and had never used a decent knife in my life(prep work for a small burrito place took me 2 hours in the morning), I still thought "there's gotta be something better out there".

Taz575
06-28-2012, 01:29 PM
Wow, that was sad to watch! I guess with a dull knife, you may need those "techniques". To dice a potato or onion, I get a sharp knife and just push it straight down :) No multiple passes needed, no fancy tip up or "pull" cutting, which didn't even go all of the way through the onion. That is a sad video!

Vertigo
06-28-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm so excited to try out the "high technique" tomorrow at work.

SpikeC
06-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Unbereevable..............

Chifunda
06-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Okay, that's it. The final piece of evidence needed to prove that YouTube has no moral or ethical standard for what it allows to be posted. Dude, that's just wrong. :nono:

knyfeknerd
06-28-2012, 06:39 PM
So that is how you're supposed to do it. I've been wrong all these years. What a crock of shite.

Johnny.B.Good
06-28-2012, 08:43 PM

Isn't this the same guy?

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Knife-Skills-Essential-Important/dp/1584796677/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1340926980&sr=8-2&keywords=knife+skills

Wow.

The Edge
06-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Isn't this the same guy?

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Knife-Skills-Essential-Important/dp/1584796677/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1340926980&sr=8-2&keywords=knife+skills

Wow.

Yes it is. This video plus others are all contained on a dvd that accompanies the book.

mhlee
06-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Isn't this the same guy?

Wow.

Whoa! That's him? I never bothered to look him up.

He's quoted here:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703405704575014992111661922.html

Norman Weinstein, knife-skills instructor at the Institute of Culinary Education in New York City, recommends using a reputable professional instead of trying to sharpen your knives at home "because the learning curve for doing it yourself is so high."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/15/dining/15KNIF.html

"A good knife balances near the bolster," Mr. Weinstein said, referring to the shank or transition point where the handle meets the blade. Like many professionals we encountered he holds his knife by pinching the blade between thumb and forefinger, just ahead of the bolster, curling his other fingers lightly around the handle. "A knife is a tool designed to take the work out of muscles. The heavier your knife, the more work it will do for you. It's a myth that a smaller person needs a smaller knife. Would you give a small person a smaller hammer?"

The funny thing about the NY Times article is that in the second page, David Bouley is raving about Japanese knives and how all the cooks are using them. It seems that there is a huge disconnect between culinary schools and restaurants when it comes to knives, likely because big makers are offering huge discounts to culinary schools to get their *cough* crappy *cough* knives into the hands of students.

Salty dog
06-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Old boys club.

Eamon Burke
06-28-2012, 10:45 PM
Yeah, he's the top knife guy teaching an ignorant generation for tuition. He's the CIA's answer to mother f***ing Isao Machii.

mr drinky
06-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Do the videos no longer work on YouTube? I couldn't view it. I think all of your comments made him cry, stomp his feet, and leave the room ;)

k.

Johnny.B.Good
06-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Do the videos no longer work on YouTube? I couldn't view it. I think all of your comments made him cry, stomp his feet, and leave the room ;)

k.

The "Mastering Knife Skills" video? Works for me.

Need a Salty "video response" in the worst way.

Justin0505
06-29-2012, 02:36 PM
He's also a highly distinguished author:
...More words of wisdom for ONLY $37.50!
http://www.abramsbooks.com/Books/Mastering_Knife_Skills-9781584796671.html

About the author
For more than 20 years, Norman Weinstein, a chef-instructor at the Institute of Culinary Education, has taught everyone from first-time cooks to professional chefs how to select and use knives. He has been profiled in Wine Spectator and the New York Times Magazine, and has appeared on the Food Network. The 2003 honoree of the New York Association of Culinary Professionals, Weinstein lives in New York City.
this pedantic, backwards fool has been taking young aspiring chef's money and then abusing their brains with this crap for 20 years...

I think that he should join forces with the chefdepot "chef" and Ken S. to make the most painful video in the history of youtube. -that "it's fryyyy-daaaay, frrryyyy-daaaay" girl woudn't stand a chance.

Eamon Burke
06-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Calm down, J. Its gonna be ok.

knyfeknerd
06-29-2012, 06:56 PM
It's sad to read all the glowing reviews of his video/book on amazon. My 2 year old son has better knife skillz.

Crothcipt
06-29-2012, 07:19 PM
I was thinking when I was doing some potato cutting last night. If I was to waste that much potato in a restaurant I would be bitched out and prob. not able to work that prep again.

mainaman
07-07-2012, 10:26 AM
I am not sure if this is 100% in the category but the knife is kept in bad condition and she is hitting the sink with it after the cuts the fillet. She needs to lap her stone too. I personally have no problem with the rest of the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0OaknSxYNE&feature=g-vrec

mhenry
07-07-2012, 10:42 AM
She did a pretty good job, and is it just me or is she kinda hot too

I am not sure if this is 100% in the category but the knife is kept in bad condition and she is hitting the sink with it after the cuts the fillet. She needs to lap her stone too. I personally have no problem with the rest of the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0OaknSxYNE&feature=g-vrec

GlassEye
07-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Didn't this video and subsequent comments appear in another thread previously?

Candlejack
07-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Didn't this video and subsequent comments appear in another thread previously?

It did, in the "youtube awesome" thread.

Seth
07-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Still - it's just like plucking eyebrow

bieniek
07-07-2012, 02:56 PM
I think she did a great job, if you consider shes a home cook. And sharpening hers very own deba?

Show me those doing it better...

If its true and she has the enthusiasm to get her hands dirty to prepare really fresh fish and not buying ready cut fillets, I like it very much.

Don Nguyen
07-09-2012, 03:12 PM
I know how to get that finish.

k.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM2tiu8zS0E

That is the funniest thing I've seen in a looong time, LMAO. Thanks!

Justin0505
08-01-2012, 02:18 PM
I wonder why the old cleavers have such a flat profile... hmmm... could it be something about the sharpening method? :scratchhead:
NAH! Looks good to me!

http://youtu.be/jIycmyzrcF0

Lawrence
08-01-2012, 02:45 PM
I'll kick it off with my favorite wanker....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syvvxx3eGpI&feature=related

My goodness, they will give a show to anyone..

stevenStefano
08-01-2012, 02:48 PM
My goodness, they will give a show to anyone..

Well he does have 13 Michelin stars......

Lawrence
08-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Someone on his staff should have stepped in and corrected him. before posting that on the net..

bieniek
08-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Why? Its more fun watching the big boss making total idiot out of himself...

chinacats
08-01-2012, 04:11 PM
May have 13 Michelin stars, but wouldn't let him touch one of my blades...

Crothcipt
08-02-2012, 03:30 AM
Ill have to record the fword were he shows some chick how to sharpen.

Eamon Burke
08-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Some chick?? That was Martine McCutcheon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmX3RD2d61Q

Gordon Ramsay was also kind enough to reach out and lend a hand to a poor struggling saleswoman and give her her first kitchen job. Judy Joo.

His MO isn't exactly hard to figure out. I've worked in several restaurants already, surely Ramsay has a job lined up for me, right?

Don Nguyen
08-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Oh good god. I am a fan of him for some things, but not his knife 'sharpening'.

Crothcipt
08-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Some chick?? That was Martine McCutcheon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmX3RD2d61Q

Gordon Ramsay was also kind enough to reach out and lend a hand to a poor struggling saleswoman and give her her first kitchen job. Judy Joo.

His MO isn't exactly hard to figure out. I've worked in several restaurants already, surely Ramsay has a job lined up for me, right?

I agree, his mo is no hard to figure out at all. She is good looking and all but she is still just some chick. Air head and doesn't care to be troubled.

maxim
08-09-2012, 03:14 AM
That one made me laugh :rofl2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB6GhPY8bR4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUiz2bY9soo&feature=relmfu

Zwiefel
08-09-2012, 03:41 AM
He has yet to realize the amazing sharpening (and auditory) symphony that is the Rada Sharpener:

I used one of those for many years and was very happy with it. :O

WAS happy with it.
Past tense.

JBroida
08-09-2012, 03:43 AM
That one made me laugh :rofl2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB6GhPY8bR4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUiz2bY9soo&feature=relmfu

i watch these all the time... they are hilarious

GlassEye
08-09-2012, 01:45 PM
i watch these all the time... they are hilarious

So do I, but I am still not sure whether Megwin belongs in the Knuckleheads or Awesome thread.

Mucho Bocho
08-09-2012, 03:38 PM
the funny thing is that Jon, you actually know what he's saying

JBroida
08-09-2012, 04:36 PM
its really stupid... otoko no hocho is a popular concept in japan right now... man's knife. Its all about cutting and knives becoming more manly. So he's talking about otoko no deba... man's deba. But he just says everything in a retarded stupid way... thats why its funny.

stereo.pete
08-14-2012, 10:21 AM
its really stupid... otoko no hocho is a popular concept in japan right now... man's knife. Its all about cutting and knives becoming more manly. So he's talking about otoko no deba... man's deba. But he just says everything in a retarded stupid way... thats why its funny.

If I could speak Japanese that is exactly how I would do it.

GlassEye
08-31-2012, 06:49 PM
Most efficient brunoise of onion I have seen.:laugh:

"In this video, Mahalo's cooking expert Chef Eric Crowley shows you how to brunoise an onion."

http://youtu.be/t40KwMxKYxw

SpikeC
08-31-2012, 07:30 PM
Think how efficient he would be if he had an actual knife!

ecchef
08-31-2012, 11:32 PM
He needs to buy a knife & a comb.

ThEoRy
09-01-2012, 12:12 AM
Aaaaaaannnnnnnd my brain is now hurting from screaming at this guy.

GlassEye
09-01-2012, 12:28 AM
I forgot to mention he has many other videos covering sharpening and more ridiculous cutting techniques.

Cutty Sharp
09-01-2012, 08:30 AM
It's obviously a video for people who know little about any of this, so give him some slack I say. On the other hand, anyone who uses the word 'utilise/utilize' - and three times, as he does here - ends up sounding like a bit of a twit. Good find!

El Pescador
09-01-2012, 10:27 AM
No slack...a supposed pro working in a pro kitchen.

It's obviously a video for people who know little about any of this, so give him some slack I say. On the other hand, anyone who uses the word 'utilise/utilize' - and three times, as he does here - ends up sounding like a bit of a twit. Good find!

bieniek
09-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Makes me wonder, when the mahalo guy introduces himself, is his first name really "chef" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PnlcZcHvL8Q#!

scotchef38
09-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Awesome

Don Nguyen
10-21-2012, 04:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd73OffppZw&feature=related

This setup is awesome, only $2500!