PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Belt Sander

Donny Dont
08-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Can someone let me know if it is possible to reverse the direction of the belt on the HF 1 x 30" sander? I would prefer to sharpen edge up and trailing. I am not sure I would be comfortable sharpening into the belt or with the knife edge down. Or do you get used to it? I think I remember a picture of Dave's setup where he put the machine on its back and worked from the top, as it were.

Thanks!

Joe

monty
08-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Read through this thread http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?2151-Help-finding-a-thread
Dave posted a picture of how he mounted his. That might work for you.

Eamon Burke
08-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Yeah his has a sweet handle and frame. I just throw shop towels under mine to keep it from scooting off the table, because if you are pushing enough to rock it around, you're pushing too hard and you'll stop the motor anyways.

monty
08-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Yeah his has a sweet handle and frame. I just throw shop towels under mine to keep it from scooting off the table, because if you are pushing enough to rock it around, you're pushing too hard and you'll stop the motor anyways.

Good to know!

sudsy9977
08-02-2011, 07:43 PM
moved to shop talk....ryan

Hattorichop
08-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Is it single phase or 3 phase.
If it is 3 phase it can run in reverse buy switching 2 incoming lines.

jmforge
08-02-2011, 11:27 PM
You're kidding, right? :lol2:
Is it single phase or 3 phase.
If it is 3 phase it can run in reverse buy switching 2 incoming lines.

Dave Martell
08-03-2011, 01:29 AM
Here's a HF sander with a water bottle mounted on it.....only $399!

http://www.h2osharp.com/howitworks.html

jmforge
08-03-2011, 01:43 AM
LMAO. That's right up there with J. Lightning and his Razr knife. If you haven't seen it, Google it and prepare to be amused.

Hattorichop
08-03-2011, 06:41 AM
No, not joking at all. I've been a licensed electrician for 10 years.
Three phase motors will run in reverse buy switching 2 phases of a three phase motor.
If you want to change the direction often I recommend purchasing a forward reversing starter witch will cost a couple of hundred dollars but will save you from having to swap wires back and forth every time you want to change the motor rotation.
If it is single phase you are sool.

jmforge
08-03-2011, 08:28 AM
I was asking if you were joking about a cheap Harbor Freight grinder actually being 3 phase?
No, not joking at all. I've been a licensed electrician for 10 years.
Three phase motors will run in reverse buy switching 2 phases of a three phase motor.
If you want to change the direction often I recommend purchasing a forward reversing starter witch will cost a couple of hundred dollars but will save you from having to swap wires back and forth every time you want to change the motor rotation.
If it is single phase you are sool.

Hattorichop
08-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Ahh.......gottchya!
Just trying to help!

Eamon Burke
08-03-2011, 01:24 PM

Oh my gosh. :pirate1:

I actually think that is illegal. You can't buy a $30 HF sander, a $5 water bottle, and a $4 belt and sell it for 1000% what you paid and claim it is your invention.

Donny Dont
08-03-2011, 02:08 PM

So all you only have to put the sander on its back? That seems like an easy solution. Thanks.
I had hoped that Hattorichop's suggestion might work, keeping the unit more stable.

Sorry, Ryan. I didn't think of putting my sharpening question under knifemaking.

Joe

jmforge
08-03-2011, 03:33 PM
I refute that assertion and as proof refer you to the aforementioned razrknife.com website. Have fun and no mods, this is not advertising. it is casting aspersions upon a con man and providing free entertainment for the members. I am not associated in any way with Mr. J. Lighting and furthermore am ashamed and disgusted that he lives in my fair state.:lol2:
Oh my gosh. :pirate1:

I actually think that is illegal. You can't buy a $30 HF sander, a $5 water bottle, and a $4 belt and sell it for 1000% what you paid and claim it is your invention.