PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a lapping machine for owt?

WillC
08-09-2011, 06:28 PM
I've been offered one. The rotary flat top type with coolant. Don't know allot about them except this one has been used for polishing glass, I've seen them used for pre-honing razors. Is it an abrasive stone, or do you use diamond abrasive in the cutting fluid mix? I'm wondering if it might take a bit of elbow grease out of the first polishing cut, or maybe handy for blending to convex.

jmforge
08-10-2011, 04:07 AM
Will, how big is the wheel?

Chef Niloc
08-10-2011, 10:19 AM
I know that " work sharp" thing is just a small lap grinder and a lot of people use it to sharpen tools. But I don't know of anyone using it on kitchen knives? I know some Japanese makers, maybe western to use a horizontal grinding wheel and I think a lapping machine would work the same? If it's varetuble speed and or can run slow and has a big wheel (10"+) I'd say it would definitely be of use. You sad it's free, if so get it, try it, and if you don't like it sell it.

WillC
08-14-2011, 04:07 AM
Thanks guys its not free exactly, but very cheap. Its about a 12-14" surface, there is a choice of machines I think. But reading about it the glass ones sound too slow for steel and I would be worried about wearing away the abrasive, so i'm not sure i'll bother with it. Having the work at a comfortable height and using edm stones for the first cut has made things better for me at this stage.
Here's a pic anyway in case anyone on here has tried one on steel
http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/Lappingmachinewithstone.jpg