PDA

View Full Version : Suji Profile - Help Finalizing

Marko Tsourkan
08-18-2011, 12:42 PM
I would like to finalize a profile for a suji, so I can make a template and stay consistent from one knife to another.

I am leaning to use this profile as my standard profile (customization upon request). I placed a suji next to a gyuto to highlight the edge curve.

This is essentially my own profile, not a copy or a derivative from another profile, so a feedback and critique is welcome and appreciated.

mattrud
08-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Without handling it or using it is difficult for me to really get nitty gritty. But the profile so far looks really good. I thought for a second i might like a hair more curve near the tip but I take that back.

A lot honestly for me depends on length of the blade. Longer then a straighter/narrower profile because you are almost only using it for slicing. Shorter like my beloved 240 I like a little curve near the tip because I use it for butchery, slicing, and some other veg prep.

mattrud
08-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Without handling it or using it is difficult for me to really get nitty gritty. But the profile so far looks really good. I thought for a second i might like a hair more curve near the tip but I take that back.

A lot honestly for me depends on length of the blade. Longer then a straighter/narrower profile because you are almost only using it for slicing. Shorter like my beloved 240 I like a little curve near the tip because I use it for butchery, slicing, and some other veg prep.

Marko Tsourkan
08-18-2011, 01:13 PM
This one is 280mm on the edge. Raising a tip a bit is something I am considering. Shorter sujis, I will likely to give more curve.

M

WildBoar
08-18-2011, 01:48 PM
I think the profile looks pretty good. I was not thinking the tip should be raised, but instead maybe waiting until a tad closer to the tip before increasing the swoop of the spine. But I'll bet it will be great as-is.

tk59
08-18-2011, 02:08 PM
This one is 280mm on the edge. Raising a tip a bit is something I am considering. Shorter sujis, I will likely to give more curve.

M

I like the look. I also thought that maybe it was a bit too flat for maximizing the edge length for a slicer but if it's gonna be on the longer side, maybe it doesn't matter as much.

oivind_dahle
08-18-2011, 03:28 PM
I want a little more curve :D

chazmtb
08-18-2011, 03:34 PM
I like your suji design.

I know there were two schools of thought, one with more belly at the tip, and the other with more of your current design. If it is a longer blade, made for slicing sashimi, soft protiens, and those types of task a flatter profile would be more suited for a pulling slice action. For me, this is what I use a suji for.

If you are looking for a brisket slicer, more harty protiens, or stronger task with an initial push and then pull action, maybe something with more belly at the tip is in order. But for me, a gyuto serves that purpose more than a suji.

Marko Tsourkan
08-18-2011, 04:30 PM
I think the profile looks pretty good. I was not thinking the tip should be raised, but instead maybe waiting until a tad closer to the tip before increasing the swoop of the spine. But I'll bet it will be great as-is.

I was thinking about it too. Will try it.

M

ecchef
08-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Think it looks good as is.

Mattias504
08-18-2011, 07:37 PM
I say leave it there. I would have to say that it looks to be great as is. Nimble with just enough curve to maximize usefulness, IMO.
Looks like a winner to me.