PDA

View Full Version : "Emerald Dragon" Custom Gyuto WIP

HHH Knives
08-30-2011, 12:33 AM
I thought it would be cool to share this..

Im working on a Custom Damascus Gyuto for one of our fellow KKF members.. The process of designing a custom knife is alot of fun and one of my favorite parts. Its the part of the build that not only makes a huge difference on the final outcome of the knife, But where the spirit of the blade is conceived.

This is a great example of this.. And as the ideas and expectations grow. the blade starts to take on a spirit of its own.. This one has been dubbed, The Emerald Dragon.. Its hard to explain, guess the best way I can do it is to say.. Your about to witness the birth of a Dragon!

Emerald Dragon
The SPECS.
244mm Electric Explosion pattern damascus blade.
2.7 to 3.0mm thick above the heel
55mm Heel height.
5 1/4 inch handle..
This puts the Overall length right around 15 inches.
Bolsters, Explosion damascus
Handle, mammoth tooth with stabilized birch burl.
full file work with inlayed leather sheath.

Heres the billet after Randy Jr. worked his magic.. Its 1095 and 15n20 steel and its just over 21" long. and 2 3/8" wide.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/DamascusbilletVictorsknife001.jpg

This is the same chunk of steel cleaned up and profiled to spec..
I can already start to feel the fire from this dragon. Can ya feel it? This one is gona be Smokin!!!

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/DamascusChef006.jpg

Thats it for tonight, Its well after midnight, so Im wrapping this up for the night. Ill try and update this one as soon as possible.

Thanks for checking out the post. Questions or comments welcomed.

JohnnyChance
08-30-2011, 12:39 AM
Pictures work now. Looks good! Handle material sounds awesome.

HHH Knives
08-30-2011, 12:47 AM
Thanks for letting me know Johnny.. I think I got them up and working now, my mistake. Im really excited about this project if ya cant tell!! :)

Customfan
08-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Superb Randy! I have a feeling this will be your best yet!

__________________________________________________ _______

Emerald Dragon... may you be a:

Vanquisher of Venison...
Subduer of shiitake...
Terror of terrines...
Slayer of souffles...
Boss of brisket...
Guru of goulash...
Slicer of sauerkraut...
Protector of proteins...
Conquerer of cuttlefish...
Master of mozzarella...
Trampler of tilapia...
Advocate of arugula... and...
Subjugator of salmon...

how we anticipate thy creation!

:knight:

HHH Knives
08-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Customfan, Thats the spirit I'm talking about!!!

Emerald Dragon... may you be a:

Vanquisher of Venison...
Subduer of shiitake...
Terror of terrines...
Slayer of souffles...
Boss of brisket...
Guru of goulash...
Slicer of sauerkraut...
Protector of proteins...
Conquerer of cuttlefish...
Master of mozzarella...
Trampler of tilapia...
Advocate of arugula... and...
Subjugator of salmon...

how we anticipate thy creation!

Thats just too cool, I love it! Thanks :)
Randy

HHH Knives
09-01-2011, 08:01 PM
OK so I broke in the new HT oven on this blade! It came through the process perfect and Im super stoked. I didnt get any pics of the HT process. Because Im dealing with super high heat and a new tool. :) Also Jr was busy doing something else when it was time to quench.. So we missed the photo..

We finalized the handle materials for the Dragon! Its going to have damascus bolsters. :thumbsup:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1572&d=1314921307

Then Mammoth tooth. :cool2:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1573&d=1314921314

And finish it off with some stabilized birch burl. :eek2:
[IMG]http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/BURL007.jpg

Ill be grinding the blade tomorrow and will try and get some pics posted B4 heading to the lake for the weekend! :)

Thanks for looking.
God Bless

Lefty
09-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Randy, I can't wait to see this one! Gee, I wonder why!?! Haha.
(I should clarify, it's not mine, but I think i'd be happy if it was!)

Customfan
09-01-2011, 11:07 PM
:jumping:WOW! Cant wait to see the finished Dragon!

The combination of materials should look fantastic Randy!....

Whoever the owner of that knife is should be very happy! I wonder who it is? hehehe! :ninja: :rofl: :tongue2:

HHH Knives
09-02-2011, 04:13 PM
I made some progress today. Like I promised, here are some photos of the blade, Now ground and lightly etched to show off the damascus pattern. This is a similar pattern to the Suji WIP.

Im really pleased with the blade brinds. The ege is super thin. Each and every kitchen blade I grind is getting better and better. Thinner behind the cutting edge, and what I believe to be better geometry throughout the entire grind..:hoot:

Thanks for looking, any comments or critiques are welcomed.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1583&d=1314994153

Eamon Burke
09-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Looks like you leave it pretty thick up by the bolster. That is really cool, because I hate when food gets stuck to the blade and starts running into my finger right there...seems like that would help deflect it!

Are you going to put a colored spacer between the mammoth tooth and the burl?

obtuse
09-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Wow, I love that Damascus pattern! Can't wait to see it all together.

Customfan
09-02-2011, 09:48 PM
:dance:

Ohhhh!! its looking soooooo cool!!

RRLOVER
09-05-2011, 10:31 AM
That's a very cool looking pattern.I am curious how 1095 will perform in the kitchen knife arena.Great Job!

99Limited
09-05-2011, 11:08 AM
That's a very cool looking pattern.I am curious how 1095 will perform in the kitchen knife arena.Great Job!

With Randy's HT it makes a pretty tough, durable edge. For me, I've found that you don't need to sharpen the edge beyond a 4k stone. I bought Randy's first gyuto offering here and he put a really fine, razor sharp edge on for me. The problem was that the edge would skid across tomato skins and bell peppers, cut from the skin side up, was more like breaking through thin ice rather than slicing. I put a new edge on it finishing with Jon's G4k and I've been very happy with the knife ever since.

JohnnyChance
09-06-2011, 01:50 AM
I bought Randy's first gyuto offering here and he put a really fine, razor sharp edge on for me. The problem was that the edge would skid across tomato skins and bell peppers, cut from the skin side up, was more like breaking through thin ice rather than slicing.

Had it been stropped with green stuff/chromium oxide?

HHH Knives
09-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Good morning, I hope you all had a great weekend.

Thanks for the comments on the blade and progress so far. :)

RRLOVER, 1095 makes a awesome knife.. In the kitchen.. I have found it to be very reactive to foods, yet I have not forund it to have any bad odors, or leave any food discolored.. It builds a patina quickly and beautifully.. And takes and holds a good working edge. Mix it with 15n20 and its edge retention and cutting ability IMO actually increases. With proper heat treating it makes a very serviceable kitchen knife.

99Limited, Glad to hear that the blade is preforming well. Thanks for all your input and help.

Johnny, Now I am curious? I did strop with white then green. Why? whats the deal with green? lol

oivind_dahle
09-06-2011, 09:47 AM
I love your damscus! Great work on the patterns :)

JohnnyChance
09-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Johnny, Now I am curious? I did strop with white then green. Why? whats the deal with green? lol

It has round particles so while it will polish your edge bevel and refine your edge, it can also smooth and round it slightly. It still feels great cutting paper or other things, but tasks like tomatoes and peppers with a tough skin, the edge doesn't have enough bite to grab and cut through the skin. Do you use the 3 finger test? Often my knives go from passing the 3 finger, then a strop on green and I can slide my fingers up and down the edge no problem.

macmiddlebrooks
09-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Johnny, I'm having the skid across the skin issue when I strop with Chromium oxide loaded leather. Any tips on how to get that toothy edge for veg prep at work? I also have a Dickoron polished steel that works ok but not great (It is a new hone for me).
Feel free to PM me as to not hijack this fine thread.

HHH Knives
09-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Thats exactly what happened.. The knife would push cut paper effortlessly, yet didnt want to slice a tomato!! lol So after talking with 99 he added a toothier edge.. he said it cuts as it should through everything as it should.. I wont be using the green any more! :) Thanks for the tip Johnny..

HHH Knives
09-06-2011, 10:48 PM
I love your damscus! Great work on the patterns :)

"Ohhhh!! its looking soooooo cool!!"

Thank you very much for the comments. :) I made a little progress on this one today. should have some new photos tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

JohnnyChance
09-06-2011, 10:59 PM
I use cubic boron nitride and silicon carbide. Diamond is also supposed to be nice and toothy, but I don't have any yet. I also like stuff in the 1-2 micron range. Everything sub 1 micron is too refined for my taste.

HHH Knives
09-07-2011, 07:01 AM
Johnny. Thanks for the info. This place is awesome!!! Im learning so much. :)

Mike Davis
09-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Looking great Randy!!! As far as 1095 goes, it is pretty similar to White #1, obviously there are some small differences, but not too dissimilar. Plus with Randy's intimacy with the steel, i am sure it will rock!

HHH Knives
09-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks for sayin so Mike! I have been working all week on this one and finally have it done!

Here are some finished photos!

The Dragon is a fierce beast. 14 7/8 inches of cutting fury!

Specs.
HHH Damascus Explosion pattern Forged by Randy Jr.
Blade measures 247.6mm tip to heel. Thickness at the spine above heel is 2.6mm tapering to about 1.30mm a inch behind the tip.
Heel height is 51mm The grind is a flat with blended convex. from the edge to the spine. I measured above the cutting edge and this one is a average of .048 above the bevels.
Handle is 5 1/4 from front of bolster to butt. and is made up of explosion damascus bolsters with mammoth tooth and stabilized birch burl.

With Mosaic pins full 360* filework and a amazing custom leather sheath.. This baby is one amazing cutter!

Thanks to my new friend Victor. This was a really fun knife to make, from designing it with you, to making and finishing. I enjoyed working with you on this project. I also wanted to say thanks for everyone's input and encouragement. This place ROCKS!

Enough Talk, Here are the pics.
Randy

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/EmeraldDragonFinishedpics007.jpghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/EmeraldDragonFinishedpics009.jpghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/EmeraldDragonFinishedpics015.jpghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/EmeraldDragonFinishedpics018.jpghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/EmeraldDragonFinishedpics087.jpghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/EmeraldDragonFinishedpics088.jpghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/EmeraldDragonFinishedpics112.jpghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/EmeraldDragonFinishedpics158.jpghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/EmeraldDragonFinishedpics162.jpg

WildBoar
09-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Holy crap, that is one cool-looking knife!

Do you work with malicite at all for handle accents? (I think there is a reconstituted powder form that some makers have used).

Eamon Burke
09-09-2011, 02:37 PM
oooo nice! I'm exhausted just looking at it.

HHH Knives
09-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Hello, Yes I have used it. Its a reconstituted material and is pretty soft.. I have used it as scales on a folder without any problem. and also as spacers on a hunter and it looked pretty cool! :) I do have a couple of pieces of natural malicite I have been meaning to use on a project. :)

Thanks for the complement on the knife. I appreciate it!
God Bless

WildBoar
09-09-2011, 02:42 PM
I do have a couple of pieces of natural malicite I have been meaning to use on a project. :)
Oh no -- I was hoping you would say "heck no!". :sad0:

Now I'm gonna get in trouble... :scared4:

I will move this to a PM conversation this weekend :censored::help4:

HHH Knives
09-09-2011, 04:14 PM
:ntmy: Sounds good, I look forward to hearing from you.

Let the games begin! :muahaha:

sachem allison
09-10-2011, 01:53 AM
you know how much I'm a fan Randy. I can't wait to see mine. wooohooooo!!!!! totally beautiful work. are you making mine with bolsters or without? just curious, makes no difference to me. You can keep it a secret if you want. you know you have free reign on this one.

Pensacola Tiger
09-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Wow! Nice job!

Lefty
09-10-2011, 10:01 AM
That's a spectacular piece, Randy!

Andrew H
09-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Awesome knife!

HHH Knives
09-10-2011, 11:35 AM
you know how much I'm a fan Randy. I can't wait to see mine. wooohooooo!!!!! totally beautiful work. are you making mine with bolsters or without? just curious, makes no difference to me. You can keep it a secret if you want. you know you have free reign on this one.

Thanks Sachem. Yours are coming up quickly on the list!! And Randy Jr. started forging the damascus steel for them this week. :)

sachem allison
09-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks Sachem. Yours are coming up quickly on the list!! And Randy Jr. started forging the damascus steel for them this week. :)

woooohoooo!!!!!!

HHH Knives
09-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks again guys for the comments and encouragement!

The Emerald Dragon is on its way home! May the Dragon reign supreme in its castle! And may it serve its master well.. This one was hard to send off today. Its one of them knives you just dont want to put down once you pick it up! :D you know the ones!!

Its a KNIFE LIFE!

Customfan
09-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Good Day!! :wink::rolleyes2:

Finally the so awaited :wink: Emerald Dragon arrived... it crosses the moat and arrives to the castle to be inspected.... What a beauty!!!

Seriously... I feel like I have to do a thorough analysis of this work of art.. I will divide this in 2... the experience and the actual knife.

THE EXPERIENCE...

I e-mailed Randy after seeing some pictures of his work without knowing what to expect and immediately was surprised by his approachability, knowledge and willingness to work with me. He was willing to take all the time necessary to quote and understand what I needed (No pressure). After various e-mails and an actual call (Which I reccomend to anyone who will make a knife with Randy because he is a very nice guy!).... and the journey began...

Exchange of knife photos, ideas for materials, comments, profiles, measurements, we went to town exchanging information that could help the project... when I was comfortable that we had come to an understanding... I just let him work his magic! :hungry:

THEN THE WAIT!!!! :scared4::cry:

That was the hardest part of any knife nut who commissions a custom... the wait! needles to say he produced the knife before the deadline. :angel:

When he sent the photos I saw that he had been able to incorporate all of our ideas into the that work of art! My ideal knife... but now that the knife is here I know that the best part of it all was the camaraderie and the relationship that is created between artisan and chef...

I know Randy had a hard time letting the knife go.. part of his soul is there.. one of a kind... never to be repeated... unique.. thats why custom work is so special.. Its the journey...

Now the mushy part :shy:

I've expressed in the past my admiration of the artisans.. better yet artists that craft our culinary instruments... well after working with Randy... I've come to respect their abilities and how they pour every part of themselves into their knives...

I highly recommend anyone who has not done a Full custom to do so at some point.. and Randy is a great way to go... he is patient and in no moment of the process did he say "Its not possible" his attitude was always... let me see how we can do this.. and the results are there...

The knife is "Awesome"!!! A full grown Emerald Beauty!

:pirate3:

Customfan
09-12-2011, 03:17 PM
THE KNIFE!!

I did a brief exercise when i first saw the Dragon... what were the words that came to mind when I first saw it?

Quality, precision, lasting, heft, beauty, soul, love, knowledge, experience.

:viking:
__________________________________________________ _______

These are the specs...
- Western handle Gyuto.
- 1084 and 15n20 damascus Steel
- Damascus HHH Damascus Explosion pattern Forged by Randy Jr.
- Tapered blade
- Actual Blade length 247.6mm tip to heel, Overall 14 7/8
- Thickness at the spine above heel is 2.62mm tapering to about 1.30mm a inch behind the tip.
-Heel height is 51mm The grind is a flat with blended convex. from the edge to the spine.
- Above the cutting edge average of .048 above the bevels.
- Handle is 5 1/4 from front of bolster to butt.
- Explosion damascus bolsters
- Emerald mammoth tooth and stabilized birch burl
- Mosaic pins
- Full 360* filework.
- Custom full grain inlay leather sheath..

NOTE: Cannot comment on Kirenaga at this time.

BLADE

- The geometry is based on a Japanese Shig 240mm. Gyuto but with a character of its own. Slightly Thinner and straighter profile.

- Flat grind that slopes ever so slightly to middle of blade... 1/2 to 3/4 almost completely flat but with a very slight curve as to glide effortlessly throughout the board.

- Push cutting is done effortlessly. Food sticks much less do to convex (Very well done by Randy).. This is clear while cutting solid vegetables and fruit with water content that would normally stick such as apples and pears. Patina will develop nicely. Like an elegant armor!!:knife:

- Its ground uniformly and very sharp, can effortlessly cut thin piece of paper stopping intermittently without problem.

- Straight as an arrow.:biggrin:

- Slight notch under bolster to place index and thumb while pinch... great idea! I've been wanting to try this and now I'm hooked!!

- No gaps, uneven splotches, defects or problems on the blade or the damascus pattern. :cool2:

- Rouded Spine, does not hurt fingers while pinch grip. Its thin enough to be nimble but you can still appreciate the beautiful vine design.

- Balance at makers mark... a very nice accomplishment do to the weight of molar (Which was a concern at beginning). Capable of attaining very sharp edge. :tongue::jawdrop:

- Thin behind the blade.. possible its most attractive feature.. slices without effort through hard vegetables (Such as carrots and Jicama?)... leaves structure virtually intact... does not displace food.

- Fun to use! As Randy said... you don't want to let this one down!

HANDLE

- Very comfortable, rounded. Countured with a slope.

- Bolster angle designed and oriented to not hurt or be uncomfortable during pinch grip! (I Like this a lot!). The bolster is rounded as well.

- Comfortable for larger hands. Something that was important to me. :thumbsup:
- Seamless transition of materials and colors throughout. It works, it flows and it feels good. :headbang:

- Fit and finish is flawless.. no unfinished areas (You know what I mean!) nor jagging materials, nor gaps (Other than vine finish) but thats part of the charm. :cool2:

- Possibly one of the nicest parts of the knife (That cant be appreciated on the photos) is how well the materials blend and how the you see the reflection of the molar versus the burl.

- Perfect pin alignment. No gaps of pin placement in material. This is something that is very important to me, the execution of the pins through the knife speaks of Randy's ability as a knife-maker.

- 360 degree vine is superb.. you can see the damascus in the vine if you look closely (I believe this is something you can't see in the photos). It needs care but thats ok!

SHEATH

- Full grain, inlaid gator with chestnut is the most beautiful sheath I have ever seen.

- Contours snugly to the blade as if saying "You are not going anywhere"

- Flawless stitching. Strap at underside keeps knife secure. :rofl:

- Protects the bolster, therefore the whole underside of knife...

Its really the unsung hero of the equation.. it even smells nice!!

OVERALL

As you can tell... I would have a hard time saying something bad about the dragon! After all.. we created it but from scratch.. but the Knife feels solid... like one that will last a lifetime. Beautifull and sturdy.. what more can you ask for?

I can't keep my eyes of her! What a stunner!! :trickydicky:

I believe that Randy Sr. and Randy Jr. poured their heart and soul into this knife.. there is so much detail and its in one word "quality" in here there is no nook unlooked, there is no piece of surface without love...

Randy said too me and that this knife reflects was 7 years of learning and experience... you can virtually see this...

VERY GOOD JOB GUYS! YOU SCORED A 10!!! :robot:

Thank you!!!

HHH Knives
09-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Customfan, WOW,,,,,,,, Im about speechless. What a great way to end a otherwise uneventful Monday!

Im glad the knife made it to ya safe and sound, and happy you are pleased! :D Thank you for the excellent write up.
We am super proud of this one, and honored to have had the opportunity to make your knife!

HHH Knives
09-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Hey Guys, I just wanted to add that the steel we used to make this damascus is actually a combination of 1095 and 15n20.

1080 and 1084 are both good steels. we just prefer the 1095 in our mix. :)