PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions?

Dave Martell
08-30-2011, 05:22 PM
So we've been up & running now for about 6 months, about 850 members strong - not bad - but we can always do better.

Does anyone have any suggestions for improvements or changes that you'd like to see made? I can't promise anything but I'll do what I can when I can to make this an even better forum than it is. So any ideas you have - shoot! :)

apicius9
08-31-2011, 04:29 AM
I like it so far. Compared to other forums, I am using the 'What's new' button most often to keep up and that works reasonably well.

The one thing I wish were better is the prgqnization of knife or knife-related pictures. The media section is a bit all over the place, and you cannot see if anybody has an album unless you click yourself through his profile. I liked the gallery concept of the other place, where everybody could start an easily accessible thread for his stuff and add to it. As it is, picures are all over the place and there is no way to find something specific.

Stefan

ecchef
08-31-2011, 05:15 AM
+1
How 'bout some nekked pictures of Rachel Ray? :tease:

wenus2
08-31-2011, 05:18 AM
There's only one thing that nags at me on occasion....

I'd like to see the BST forum move the most recent posts to the top, that way available knives can be bumped up to stay visable.
It's basically impossible to see that a 3 month old posting is still available. I see this issue becoming worse as the forum grows. It could eventually be that a 3 week old posting is on page 4 behind 32 knives that are already sold, and there is no way to move it up to where people can see it.

I'm not a gallery guy so I hadn't notice Stefan's issue until he suggested it, and he does have a point. Can't say it has bothered me specifically though.

Otherwise I think things are up and running pretty nicely now.

Keep it up, keep it real, thanks for providing the space Dave!

Keith Neal
08-31-2011, 07:00 AM
Dave:

This is a great forum. I have enjoyed it tremendously and learned a lot. I appreciate all the time and effort you put into it.

My only suggestion would be to modify the new posts list to show all posts chronologically. Posts disappear from the new post section sometimes, even though they are in fact newer than the ones listed. They don't just move down the list, they are removed from the list. For instance, this thread was at the top of the list a few minutes ago, and is not in the list at all now. It would help in tracking interesting threads if they remained in chronological order.

That's a nit, and in no way takes away from the excellence of the forum, thanks mainly to the extraordinarily knowledgeable people who participate.

Thanks again for a great resource!

Keith

Pensacola Tiger
08-31-2011, 07:58 AM
Keith,

The New Posts function works just fine. When you read a post, it's not new to you any more, so the thread isn't displayed to you.

Keith Neal
08-31-2011, 09:54 AM
Keith,

The New Posts function works just fine. When you read a post, it's not new to you any more, so the thread isn't displayed to you.

Understand. But that makes it difficult to find again. If it is interesting, I would like to go back to it periodically, but it has disappeared. The program presumes that once you have read a post, you are no longer interested in it, which is usually not the case for me. I am a slow learner and need to repeat the lesson.

I would prefer all the posts stay in order.:my2cents:

Jim
08-31-2011, 10:11 AM

I'd like to see the BST forum move the most recent posts to the top, that way available knives can be bumped up to stay visable.
It's basically impossible to see that a 3 month old posting is still available. I see this issue becoming worse as the forum grows. It could eventually be that a 3 week old posting is on page 4 behind 32 knives that are already sold, and there is no way to move it up to where people can see it.

I'm not a gallery guy so I hadn't notice Stefan's issue until he suggested it, and he does have a point. Can't say it has bothered me specifically though.

Otherwise I think things are up and running pretty nicely now.

Keep it up, keep it real, thanks for providing the space Dave!

I wanted to reply to this as fodder for the conversation and for possible change. The organization of this forum was deliberate. We specifically wanted to place some barriers to exploitative posting and to prevent first posts to be in the BST with a for sales post. This protects buyers on a small scale but also helps to set a tone for our community.

From a philosophical point of view- we are a small passionate knife centric community that has, as a privilege - a BST forum for our active members. The other issue that was addressed by this set up was to limit exploitative posting and bumping where everyday someone would flog their post at the expense of everyone else s post in that forum. No easy answers I am afraid.

Dave Martell
08-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Dave:

This is a great forum. I have enjoyed it tremendously and learned a lot. I appreciate all the time and effort you put into it.

My only suggestion would be to modify the new posts list to show all posts chronologically. Posts disappear from the new post section sometimes, even though they are in fact newer than the ones listed. They don't just move down the list, they are removed from the list. For instance, this thread was at the top of the list a few minutes ago, and is not in the list at all now. It would help in tracking interesting threads if they remained in chronological order.

That's a nit, and in no way takes away from the excellence of the forum, thanks mainly to the extraordinarily knowledgeable people who participate.

Thanks again for a great resource!

Keith

Hi Keith,
I understand what you're asking about but that's not an option I'm afraid. The "what's new" feature is for showing only what new posts have been added, once you click on them they're no longer considered "new" and drop off the list.

A better way for your type of browsing may be to ignore this feature and use the forum board "old school" where you browse the board and use the icons to see if any new content has been added to the forums. Until recently this was the standard way forums were browsed so it's not ineffective, it's just not as effective for time management as the "what's new" feature offers.

To help you can find a legend at the bottom of the main forum page (click on "Forum") that indicates what's been read already as well as new posts, etc

Sorry I don't have a better solution for you here.

Dave

Dave Martell
08-31-2011, 10:47 AM
I like it so far. Compared to other forums, I am using the 'What's new' button most often to keep up and that works reasonably well.

The one thing I wish were better is the prgqnization of knife or knife-related pictures. The media section is a bit all over the place, and you cannot see if anybody has an album unless you click yourself through his profile. I liked the gallery concept of the other place, where everybody could start an easily accessible thread for his stuff and add to it. As it is, picures are all over the place and there is no way to find something specific.

Stefan

This has occurred to me to Stefan. I'm looking into what we can do here.

Thanks!

jm2hill
08-31-2011, 10:59 AM
Dave I'm not sure if this is possible: in relation to what Keith's saying, maybe a star button next to each individual threads where we could "bookmark" them. With a "Starred Threads" hyperlink next to the what's new button?

that way all the threads I have bookmarked in chrome could just be bookmarked on the actual page.

I hope you understand what I'm saying :) cause it makes more sense in my head!

Pensacola Tiger
08-31-2011, 11:09 AM
Dave I'm not sure if this is possible: in relation to what Keith's saying, maybe a star button next to each individual threads where we could "bookmark" them. With a "Starred Threads" hyperlink next to the what's new button?

that way all the threads I have bookmarked in chrome could just be bookmarked on the actual page.

I hope you understand what I'm saying :) cause it makes more sense in my head!

That's already a feature. Subscribe to the thread. That does everything you want. To see the threads, Click on "Subscribed threads" under the "Quick Links" pulldown.

jm2hill
08-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks Rick, Thats perfect!

Dave Martell
08-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Yeah thanks Rick! :)

Dave Martell
08-31-2011, 11:45 AM
I want to suggest a better PM system - I HATE this PM system not being threaded. IMO this is a huge issue that vBulletin needs to work out and trust me I'm not alone on thinking this, they've got thousands of people screaming about it for years. :angry1:

JohnnyChance
08-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Yeah, its annoying switching back and forth between sent items and inbox to piece together a conversation, especially if it wasnt recent.

And then backing them up is even more annoying. Now the sent items and received are in 2 completely different files.

Be much better to have threaded convos so you only have entries per participant, and then when you want to delete/backup a convo, it saves it all in one file you can read chronologically.

SpikeC
08-31-2011, 01:36 PM
I like the way the "new posts" are set up, it works perfectly for me, and if I want to go back and reread the thread I just make a note of which forum it is in. I haven't tried subscribing to a thread yet, I will have to try that out!
One thing that I have not been impressed with is the search feature. I find that I get results that have little to no relevance to the search terms that I enter a lot of the time.

JohnnyChance
08-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Also, if you "Mark Forums Read" and then click "What's New?" you will get a message that says something along the lines "There are no new posts, to search threads updated in the past 24 hours, click here."

In that link, the threads wont disappear after you have read them. I am not sure how to access that search without marking the forums read however.

Pensacola Tiger
08-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Also, if you "Mark Forums Read" and then click "What's New?" you will get a message that says something along the lines "There are no new posts, to search threads updated in the past 24 hours, click here."

In that link, the threads wont disappear after you have read them. I am not sure how to access that search without marking the forums read however.

Make a bookmark for the following link:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/search.php?do=getdaily

JohnnyChance
08-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Do you have a bookmark for that? I have done that before and it stops working after awhile. The searchid number changes at some point.

Pensacola Tiger
08-31-2011, 02:56 PM
Do you have a bookmark for that? I have done that before and it stops working after awhile. The searchid number changes at some point.

What you want is the link that the forum software uses, not the displayed URL after the search has been performed. Either copy the link I posted and paste it into the bookmark you want to use, or bookmark these links:

Daily Posts (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/search.php?do=getdaily)

What's New? (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post)

This is the link URL for What's New?:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post

JohnnyChance
08-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Gotcha, thanks.

Pensacola Tiger
08-31-2011, 03:00 PM
Gotcha, thanks.

Glad to help.

geezr
08-31-2011, 03:31 PM
So we've been up & running now for about 6 months, about 850 members strong - not bad - but we can always do better..........
:ggodjob: and CONGRATULATIONS!! :beer:
Really happy Dave has this forum and with all who post here.:viking:
Like the smilies too :hoot:

geezr
08-31-2011, 03:33 PM
:ggodjob: and CONGRATULATIONS!! :beer:
Really happy Dave has this forum and with all who post here.:viking:
Like the smilies too :hoot:

sorry :laughat:

Dave Martell
09-01-2011, 11:46 AM

The mod team discussed this and we made some changes that should correct this from being a problem. All new posts should rise to the top of the forum showing availability of for sale items. We'll give this a try and see how it works out.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Dave

wenus2
09-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Cool. I just noticed it was chronological by post, so I cameback here and sure enough... my voice was heard!
Hopefully this will make it easier to keep track of what's available. Thanks mod team!

Dave Martell
09-04-2011, 09:46 PM
We aim to please! :)

ThEoRy
09-04-2011, 09:47 PM
how bout a shoutbox or chatroom/im feature?

Dave Martell
09-04-2011, 10:04 PM
how bout a shoutbox or chatroom/im feature?

I looked into this before but I can't recall what the deal is besides either being not do-able or really difficult to do. I'll do some more poking around and see what I can find out.

On a slightly related note, the software does allow a member to select what IM platform they use and to display an icon under your avatar to which other members can click on to contact you in real time. I believe skype, AIM, yahoo, and the other normal ones are listed to choose from. I understand this isn't a chat room but it's something if you want to be more accessible or if your looking to connect with someone quickly who's online. Just something to think about.

ThEoRy
09-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Shoutbox is an integrated umm chat box approved by vbulletin http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=182945
it uses ajax so you dont have to refresh the page for msgs to pop up.

I dont know how difficult or easy it is to implement though.

AnxiousCowboy
09-04-2011, 10:48 PM
You should add a chat forum and uncensor the bad words :P

Dave Martell
09-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Shoutbox is an integrated umm chat box approved by vbulletin http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=182945
it uses ajax so you dont have to refresh the page for msgs to pop up.

I dont know how difficult or easy it is to implement though.

Ahhh yes, this looks familiar, and yes it's not easy at all for me to add this. Doesn't mean I won't try though.

Thanks for the link

Dave Martell
09-04-2011, 11:48 PM
You should add a chat forum and uncensor the bad words :P

You want a ************* *********** uncensored ******* chat ******* room? Could be fun. :D

AnxiousCowboy
09-05-2011, 12:02 PM
two separate recommendations, uncensor the forums, and add a chat room

ThEoRy
09-30-2011, 01:09 AM
How bout a thanks button or a thumbs up thumbs down button or some kind of points system for comments?

Dave Martell
09-30-2011, 01:32 AM
I'll see what's available and how that type of thing works and go from there.

Thanks Rick

Dusty
10-06-2011, 08:21 AM
I know I'm new here, but how about a sharpening sub-forum?

Dave Martell
10-06-2011, 11:34 AM
I know I'm new here, but how about a sharpening sub-forum?

This may eventually happen with growth but for now we're combining sharpening with kitchen knife general topics in The Kitchen Knife forum.

Thanks for the suggestion though.