PDA

View Full Version : Saya, block or drawer?

oivind_dahle
09-08-2011, 05:03 PM
So how do you guys store your knife?

Is it easier to grab the one in the block, or do you store them in a drawer? I have my habits and know who I grab for usually :)

stevenStefano
09-08-2011, 05:06 PM
I buy sayas for pretty much all my knives. I have to take them to work so they're pretty practical and they look nice too.

Lefty
09-08-2011, 05:20 PM
I find I ignore my knives if they don't go on my magnetic knife rack. The biggest blade that fits is normally a 210mm, because of cupboard clearance. I hadn't thought of this before, but maybe that's why I prefer 210s over 240s.

Audi's or knives
09-08-2011, 05:29 PM
I have a combination of all 3, looking to pick up a magnetic rack any suggestions? Then I can do away with the block or get some knives out of the drawer creating more space

WildBoar
09-08-2011, 05:37 PM
I have 2 magnetic racks, but we really did not provide good locations for them during the kitchen renovation. I'll likely be looking into a custom block from BoardSmith soon.

We do have a couple good drawers where I could store them, but I'm have not seen enough info on the slotted drawer inserts to determine if that is a good way to go. I saw some on the web site that belongs to a company of which we do not speaketh here on KKF, but they did not really seem tailered to 300 mm sujis :pirate1:

Hattorichop
09-08-2011, 06:39 PM
I made my own out of a solid piece of rosewood and some rare earth magnets.
It took some experimenting with the magnets and a second order of them to get it right.
I do have a couple heavy knives on there and I have had no problems.
I've been extremely happy with it.http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff392/gkarlmc/IMG_3046.jpg

RRLOVER
09-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Custom knife rack from the Board Smith for me,helps free up counter space.

Salty dog
09-08-2011, 08:02 PM
The only knives I have visible are the cleavers (2). I get a little creeped out about seeing a bunch of knives hanging on the wall or what ever. The rest are in drawers. (at work)

The few at home in a block. (They're rarely used)

euphorbioid
09-08-2011, 08:04 PM
A block from the Boardsmith.

Vertigo
09-08-2011, 08:47 PM
I got a Benchcrafted Mag-Blok. It's not nearly as high-test as I had hoped, but it works for the most part. Occasionally I just leave a knife on the board, in a little arrangement with fruits or veg.

Eamon Burke
09-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Mag-Blok, I wish I had sayas for all of them. No blocks for my knives' sake, no drawers for my toddlers'.

JohnnyChance
09-08-2011, 11:56 PM
I dont have room in my current kitchen for a block on the counter or a mag strip. My good knives are in my work kit in sayas or homemade shealths (cardboard, chix towels, etc), the rest are in a drawer in the kitchen. I will probably add a cleaver style straight vertical block at some point as I acquire too many "good" knives to fit in my work kit. I like the vertical ones because they don't take up very much counter space.

kalaeb
09-09-2011, 02:03 AM
No blocks for my knives' sake, no drawers for my toddlers'.

What is is about a block that would be considered a con for knives? Too much ferrule/bolster damage, or blade itself? Just curious, and definately no drawers here for the same reason.

Lefty
09-09-2011, 07:55 AM
I've never liked wasting counter space (there's one strike against blocks), they beat up you bolster/ferrule (strike two), and the handles always sit funny, especially if you think to flip your knife over, to have the spine down, so your edges don't get beaten up as badly (strike three). Yaay, Roy Halladay!

Wagstaff
09-09-2011, 10:33 AM
What is is about a block that would be considered a con for knives? Too much ferrule/bolster damage, or blade itself? Just curious, and definately no drawers here for the same reason.

Someone with the same initials as mine once put a knife into a block noticing a lower slot was wide enough. But the lower slot means it's shorter. Tip got bent slamming into the counter. What a maroon.

I've got a knife block that's too full (it has empty slots, but there aren't enough slots for the sizes of knives I own). The 270mm gyuto is always in a saya. The long petty (210mm) is also always in a saya. Otherwise the block. I find them both convenient enough, actually. I'd prefer a magentic strip on a clear-enough wall, but I don't have a good spot in my apt for one.

Eamon Burke
09-09-2011, 07:54 PM

You can drop knives into a slot too short for it and the tip will hit my granite counter. Also, they trap dirt and moisture, and can't be cleaned. God forbid your blender full of a smoothie explodes/falls over on your counter and lands right on your knifeblock. Not like that's going to happen with kids around, oh wait. :razz:

kalaeb
09-09-2011, 08:19 PM
That is why you all need a custom made knife block that will fit you 270-300 sujis with a removable base to be cleaned if necessary with horizontal slots as to prevent blade issues and a carefully trained family to PLACE the knives in the block as opposed to dropping them in.:D

I am not saying I have those things, but it would be nice. It would be a little creepy if I had all my knives on mag blocks and I don't have the drawer storage to keep them all in sayas. Hence, the knife block is what I use.

Eamon Burke
09-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Nah, I want my wall to look like a tribute to 'Eat Drink Man Woman' some day.

Marko Tsourkan
09-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Great movie, BTW.

Eamon Burke
09-09-2011, 08:37 PM
It really is! I loved it.

But try telling my wife that. She won't even give it a try.

Hattorichop
09-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Nah, I want my wall to look like a tribute to 'Eat Drink Man Woman' some day.

Wow,
I just finished watching the trailer for that movie, I can't wait too watch it.
I've actually imagined installing magnetic knife racks around my whole kitchen and surrounding myself in kitchen knives.

I make stained glass lamps and i've surrounded myself in them, so why not!

Thanks for the movie tip Eamon!

Marko Tsourkan
09-09-2011, 09:26 PM
I personally like a knife rack option (over a knife block or a magnetic strip), but I don't own many knives so it will work for me. One of these days I will make a few racks that I can incorporate into Roesle Open Kitchen that have in my kitchen. The idea is to utilize the existing rails to "hang" the knife racks on them. I worked out a design, selected material, but haven't had time to make them.

Magnetic strips are nice, but they do magnetize your knives a little bit. Never considered countertop knife blocks for storage, as I like my countetops empty of stuff, with exception for cutting boards.

M

oivind_dahle
09-11-2011, 04:50 AM
For my high end knives with says Im thinking of a wall rack like the one Korin sells. Just not on the desk, but on the wall. Hmmm, though choice. My GF don't want knives displayed like this...

oivind_dahle
12-07-2011, 06:43 AM
Ive been thinking of this for a while.

Im not sure about saya or not, but I come up with this knifestand.
Please remember that Im not skilled in paint, nor photoshop or anything.

Knives:
Parer - 90
utility - 120
Gyuto - 200
Gyuto - 240

All sanmai with 52100 and stainless, western handles.

oivind_dahle
12-07-2011, 06:50 AM
Argh

Flickr didnt work, nor could I upload here, does this work?

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/388363_10151004443920556_774000555_21844033_112358 4159_n.jpg

PierreRodrigue
12-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Only thing that I would be careful of is where the peg supporting the knife near the heel is positioned. If it is forward of the balance point of the knife, the handle would drop, and the knife fall off.

tk59
12-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Only thing that I would be careful of is where the peg supporting the knife near the heel is positioned. If it is forward of the balance point of the knife, the handle would drop, and the knife fall off.Yup. The top two, maybe three knives will have to sit more to the left.

Marko Tsourkan
12-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Argh

Flickr didnt work, nor could I upload here, does this work?

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/388363_10151004443920556_774000555_21844033_112358 4159_n.jpg

Wrong depiction. Knives need to be on their spines, not edges.

This is similar to a design that I am ultimately going to adopt, however, I have some reservations.
- a free standing block, is not very stable, so in this sense I favor wall mounted one
- if your kitchen is small and you are clumsy, you are running a risk of bumping a knife off the rack (storing a knife in a saya would help, but that is kind of overkill)
- one can embed magnets to keep knives more stable on the rack, but some don't like the idea of their knives magnetized

Citizen Snips
12-07-2011, 09:33 AM
saya for work

block for home

mano
12-07-2011, 10:09 AM
+1 magnetic knife rack. Takes up almost no room, easy to take and put back knives and wooden ones look nice. After 30+ years of blocks and drawers with slots for knives it's the best.

I keep sayas in a drawer for when I need them, but I'm sure the magnets would hold them with sayas on.

Seth
12-07-2011, 10:39 AM
I use all three: the high end knives (doi, nenohii) are on the mag-block, the knives in rotation near the cutting board (KS, suisin), and the knives out of rotation in draw blocks. I have slight reservations about the mag-block as it seems even with gentleness the knife snaps a bit against the edge -- or at least the giant usuba does. The block is one that has many plastic little 'needles' rather than slots and think this is okay for edges. Maybe I have too many knives.
Seth

BTW, anyone have a source for Shigs?

Justin0505
12-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Maybe I have too many knives.
Seth

BTW, anyone have a source for Shigs?

Hahah! :
"I might have to many knives...anyone know where I can get some more!?!?"

- If these is 1 post that sums up KKF / blade junkies, then that's it!

But to answer your question: Yes, Dr. Naka: he's in the vendor section and also has a blog. For many years Marko was the guy to go to for Shigs and he also did the best custom handles for them, but now he's moving on to making his own blades. He's also in the vendor section and you may want to check with him just to make sure he doesn't have any left.

But to get back to the OP: Hey Oivind, have you made any decisions yet? I'd like to see what you end up with.

oivind_dahle
12-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Nope :) Not yet

My knives will be made next year, I hope to see pics in may.
Ive been waiting for a long time on these knives. Im not sure about anything anymore.
What I do know however is that my knives will make this one look ugly: http://www.epicedge.com/pics/89777_1_b.jpg

Muhahahahahaha..

Im thinking on these knives almost 10 times a day, and Im having a hard time to decide how to store them. I would however point out that these knives will be used on a daily basis. No drawer queens for me!! .)

Ill see what more I can come up with the next couple of months :)

Seth
12-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Dr. Naka is not taking orders right now for personal reasons according to his blog and emails with me.
s.

Marko Tsourkan
12-07-2011, 12:21 PM
PM sent.

M

Andrew H
12-07-2011, 12:23 PM
PM me. I have one or two left.

M

You stocked up, didn't you? :eyebrow:

Marko Tsourkan
12-07-2011, 12:29 PM
no, just leftovers that I didn't get to put handles one. One for sure, two maybe.

M

echerub
12-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Im thinking on these knives almost 10 times a day)

Oh, that happens to me as well - and that's not even for customs. Sometimes it's just about knives that I'm debating about getting.

Justin0505
12-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Dr. Naka is not taking orders right now for personal reasons according to his blog and emails with me.
s.

Oh, I was not aware of that. Bummer! Dr. Naka seemed like a really cool guy, I hope that his personal stuff gets revolved and he is OK.

However, you just got lucky with the news from Marko. A Marko handled shige is, IMO, the best kind of Shige... and with him discontinuing his work on them, the rare opportunity to own one got rarer.

FYI , he's kinda famous for taking FoReVeR to complete work, but thats due to unrivaled perfectionism (its an affliction, really) and laser-beam attention to/obsession with detail.
-My ShigeMarko was certainly worth the wait.

@Oivind
Ahhh, I see that this post was just another(failed) attempt to occupy your mind/ help you get through the wait for your knives. I don't blame you though; it must be driving you crazy(er) :tease:

Seth
12-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Yes Justin0505 - I think I qualify as a junkie and all that goes with it: sharpening is my idea of relaxation, warning friends and guests of the danger of making eye contact with my knives, practicing cutting for no reason, explaining myself to people who look at me like I am nuts, and yes, thinking about new knives at least 10x/day....

BTW, Eat, Drink is a must see; one of my favorite movies.

Seth