PDA

View Full Version : I apologize.

Bill Burke
09-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Hi Everyone, I don't know if any of you have missed me here or not but I would like to apologize for my Lack of knife deliveries. I Have been working two jobs since my wife has had to quit her job because a pituitary tumor has left her legally blind in both eyes. she was the member of the family that had our health insurance so now we have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to keep our family covered. I have been working a "real " job in order to get health insurance coverage and my knife work has suffered for it. I would like to say I am sorry to everyone who is waiting for knive and would like to tell you all not to worry too much I WILL get your knives done as soon as I can.:O

ThEoRy
09-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Best of luck getting things back on track for your family. Gotta do what you gotta do.

mattrud
09-13-2011, 10:19 PM
There are more important things in life then knives. I wish the best for you and your Family.

SpikeC
09-13-2011, 10:22 PM
This news really sucks. I hope that your wife does well.

bprescot
09-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Wish you the best of luck. In my experience people are human beings first and customers second. I'm sure they will understand.

JBroida
09-13-2011, 10:27 PM
+1 to what others have said... sorry to hear about everything, but the most important thing is that you take care of yourself and your family and it seems like you are doing exactly that.

mr drinky
09-13-2011, 10:59 PM
My best to you and your family.

k.

Mike Davis
09-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Very sorry to hear that Bill, Hope everything works out for you guys.

unkajonet
09-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Family first. Best to you and the family.

HHH Knives
09-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Bill, Sorry to hear. We will be prying for your family and if there's anything we can do to help, just give me a shout. Keep the faith and the rest will work itself out.

tk59
09-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Family first. Best to you and the family.+1

Dave Martell
09-13-2011, 11:44 PM
It sucks when people suffer like this, one thing on top of another. I wish the best for your family Bill.

Chef Niloc
09-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Wow bill I new about your wife's pituitary surgery from over at the dog pound. What I did not know is that she lost her sight, very sad. I had to have my pituitary removed in 2006 so I know what it's like and how hard it is but I guess I got lucky. As all the others have sad, knives can wate, we all have to many anyway.

Eamon Burke
09-14-2011, 12:24 AM
Very sorry to hear, Mr. Burke. I applaud your stepping up to the plate in this situation.

sachem allison
09-14-2011, 12:58 AM
love ones first. Best of luck to the family will keep you in my prayers.

mc2442
09-14-2011, 01:23 AM
Is the sight loss permanent, or could it be temporary? Best wishes to you and your wife.

oivind_dahle
09-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Im so sorry to hear about your wifes sight loss :( I know she was ill and that you have a hard time. But there is something really wrong with the world when one of the best knifemakers have to take a "real" job to make a living.

I can't tolerate this!

Dave: will you host a Raffle?
Im donating a new Shigefusa 240 Kasumi Gyuto with Marko handle and says for this one! Ill have Harald (darkhoek) put a solid finish on it as well. The knife is hardly used and will be a really nice knife for the one who get it. I will send it to Marko in NYC for some oiling of the says and handle as well. This knife will be out of this world! Handle is desert Ironwood with a matching says. Ill talk to Harald and we will ship this one on monday. I hope a raffle will make a lot of money for Bill and his family, and hopefully Bill can spend more time making knifes for us nuts! :) Ill pay the shipping from Marko to the lucky winner as well.

http://www.knifeforums.com/uploads/1281987455-DSC_1055.JPG

As for my knife mr Burke. I have lots of time and as Ive told you I want you to take your time. Im happy to see pics of it on Blade Show 2012 ;) Bill: you are meant for making knives, not burgers ;)

Edit: I know this won't solve your problems. All I hope for is that it gives you a chance to breath and take off some pressure on your shoulders .)

ecchef
09-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Oivind, you are truly a class act! It's people like you that give me hope for humanity.

Bill, this is an opportunity to connect with your wife on a new level. May your bond grow stronger. You and the family will survive this and overcome. The knife world is not ready for Bill Burke to step down!

zitangy
09-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Hi,
I am saddened by such tragic news.. AS they say.. strike when the iron is hot... and also when the going gets tough... the tough gets going...

Since i am in the market for a knife , may I start the bid at USD$1,500 ? I hope that it is not too little?

Regards,
david

sudsy9977
09-14-2011, 10:43 AM
sorry sorry to hear bill....hope eevrythiong works out for you.....ryan

p.s.-unfortunately we haven't figured out a solution for the raffles.....the last one didn't go well to say the least.....ryan

The BoardSMITH
09-14-2011, 10:46 AM
I believe I can understand your predicament a little better than maybe some others. Since my wife had a stroke in July she has been out on short term disability and the income has been decreased as well as we now have to pay her portion of the health insurance out of pocket. Your wife and mine are to young to have to endure those issues. I wish her the best and I know you will do what is right.

Also, if Dave is going to host a raffle for your benefit I will add one of my boards to the mix. This one is a 2 x 16 x 22 cherry board with walnut strips. I will pay the domestic shipping.

How about it Dave?

bprescot
09-14-2011, 12:03 PM
So I think there's a ton of desire to do it, it's just a technical limitation as few if any online payment/transfer services allow this kind of thing as I've come to learn. If it weren't for that, I think Dave would set it up in a heart beat.

JohnnyChance
09-14-2011, 12:08 PM
No apology necessary Bill. Best of luck to you and your wife.

Chef Niloc
09-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Dave Oivind's got a great idea but maybe on top of that you could set up a donation fund on you sight like Jon did for Heiji to help the Burke family out? We could post it on some of the other boards, know bills got a lot of friends out there. That way even if someone only has $5 to help out and cant bid in the auction they could help out too, add up to a lot.

Chef Niloc
09-14-2011, 12:22 PM
So I think there's a ton of desire to do it, it's just a technical limitation as few if any online payment/transfer services allow this kind of thing as I've come to learn. If it weren't for that, I think Dave would set it up in a heart beat.

Even with paypal fees the mony would help.

mhlee
09-14-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm hoping for the best for you and your family.

Chef Niloc
09-14-2011, 12:31 PM
sorry sorry to hear bill....hope eevrythiong works out for you.....ryan

p.s.-unfortunately we haven't figured out a solution for the raffles.....the last one didn't go well to say the least.....ryan

I don't know how the last one went down but I have a idea. Dave collects the $$. then PM's me the name, I'll assign that person a number and right it down on paper. When all the tickets are soled I'll mail out a the list of names nod numbers and while the list is in us mail limbo the number can be picked that way no cheating can happen. Not that I think this would be necessary as I don't think Dave would cheat, but just a idea.

kalaeb
09-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Perhaps an auction would be better than a raffle.

JohnnyChance
09-14-2011, 12:45 PM
I don't know how the last one went down but I have a idea. Dave collects the $$. then PM's me the name, I'll assign that person a number and right it down on paper. When all the tickets are soled I'll mail out a the list of names nod numbers and while the list is in us mail limbo the number can be picked that way no cheating can happen. Not that I think this would be necessary as I don't think Dave would cheat, but just a idea.

The issue is that raffles are actually illegal in most states, and Paypal doesn't want to have any liability for helping run a raffle. So if they see any activity that looks like someone is receiving money from a raffle, they investigate, and in our case, found us right away. They shut it down, and ban the person running the raffle from Paypal.

The BoardSMITH
09-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Whatever the answer is or how this can be worked, I'm still good for the offer.

Marko Tsourkan
09-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Whatever the answer is or how this can be worked, I'm still good for the offer.

Me too. Best of wishes to your wife, Bill -

oivind_dahle
09-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Im a man of word. Shig is sent to Marko on monday :) I hope we can find a way to do this the right way. Since Im a norwegian Ill let you american find the way :)

Gonna have Darkhoek post a wip on the sharpening this weekend :) Gonna go through the jnats used to get the perfect polish and grind.
For shig fans I found Haralds blog: http://***********************/search?updated-max=2011-02-07T21%3A54%3A00%2B01%3A00&max-results=7
There you can see the knife yourselves. Its a great knife. The best cutter I have :)

David: Great board!

Then there will be 2 lotteries/raflles/auctions !!!
Gotta love fundraising :) :) :)

SpikeC
09-14-2011, 03:49 PM
I realize that this suggestion is somewhat stone age, butt what about having a raffle where people snail mail their money in check form?

JBroida
09-14-2011, 04:02 PM
lol... makes sense to me

By the way, great idea on the raffle

I always love how the community comes together to help eachother in times of need

oivind_dahle
09-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Checks are not used outside us :S

JBroida = you ended up getting 5000 USD for Heiji. Anything you like to share?

oivind_dahle
09-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Hi,
I am saddened by such tragic news.. AS they say.. strike when the iron is hot... and also when the going gets tough... the tough gets going...

Since i am in the market for a knife , may I start the bid at USD$1,500 ? I hope that it is not too little?

Regards,
david

Im impressed :) You the best :)

JBroida
09-14-2011, 04:19 PM
personally, i believe that if you're giving money to a good cause and your intention is to help, why not just give the money anyways. Thats why when i do things like this, i only accept donations. Pay pal works just fine for that. We could just as easily raise money that way for bill.

(i hope this statement doent come off as abrasive as i'm worried it might... its not a judgement... just a statement of my personal beliefs and what i have done in the past)

Andrew H
09-14-2011, 04:31 PM
I would think the simplest way would be to do donations and then a "give away", where people post in the thread if they've donated. I don't think many in our community would cheat.

Bill: I wish you and your family the best.

mr drinky
09-14-2011, 04:43 PM
+1 to what Jon said. You can still do a raffle (or auction), but having a simple donation system is quick and easy and allows small and large donations. You could even have it so that if you donate a certain amount, the your name automatically goes into a raffle and we just do that unofficial name thing as has been done before without having all of those technical issues that auctions entail.

k.

bprescot
09-14-2011, 05:13 PM
I would think the simplest way would be to do donations and then a "give away", where people post in the thread if they've donated. I don't think many in our community would cheat.

Bill: I wish you and your family the best.Yep. Not officially tied, and totally voluntary. I'd even say, so that it's not a strict *** for tat which might cause issues, that people, while highly strongly incredibly encouraged to donate and will be thought ill of if trying to game the intent of this thing, not absolutely be required to donate.

Edit: LOL Sorry for my foul language. Apparently the forum software doesn't like my use of the word "t.it"

Bill Burke
09-14-2011, 10:00 PM
you guys are too much. Oivind you are quite possibly one of the greatest guys I know. But seriously I was not asking for money or anything like that just wanted to explain why the knives are not being delivered as I promissed. the willingness for all of you to help out is overwhelming. I am not in any way going to stop making knives, I don't think that I could even if I wanted to. they are just going to take longer to get done. thank you so much all of you.

for those of youthat asked it is looking like what sight she has now is all sheis going to get back short of a miracle. But it (her sight) is way better than any of her doctors had predicted.

RRLOVER
09-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Sorry to hear about your wife Bill and best wish's to your family.I know most everyone in this community would help you out in a New York minute.

Pensacola Tiger
09-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Sorry to hear about your wife Bill and best wish's to your family.I know most everyone in this community would help you out in a New York minute.

Or faster than that.

Bill Burke
09-14-2011, 11:46 PM
thanks again everyone. you are all great. As for Patti my wife she is well and doing fine, her job had alot of computer work and was very visually oriented so she had to resign. she has been to some training and hopes to be able to rejoin the workforce in a less visually oriented job. It gives her something to work for and keeps her occupied in a positive manner. thanks again for all the prayers and well wishes and don't give up I will deliver the knive that are on order just not as soon as originally promissed.

Lefty
09-15-2011, 12:11 AM
Bill, it goes without saying...nobody will mind a delay.
Take care of your wife and family, and try not to forget about yourself along the way. We can't wait to see what you come up with next, whether it's a month from now, or a year from now.
You're proving that a good person makes sacrifices for the ones he loves and doesn't even consider them to be sacrifices. You're the definition of "selfless" and we all wish you and your wife all the best.

Darkhoek
09-15-2011, 04:07 AM
I am very sorry to hear about your wife, Bill. Glad to hear, though, that her eyesight is exceeding the dark predictions from the doctors. They usually try to keep expectations down rather than giving people false hope. Miracles do happen and I do hope you and your wife will recieve one shortly.

DarKHOeK

oivind_dahle
09-15-2011, 11:40 AM
no fundraiser then.....

Hows my parrer
Hehe

tgraypots
09-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Mr. Burke, my thoughts and prayers are with your wife, you and your family.

As to the raffle/donations/auction/etc., I'm hopeful we can collectively figure something out. Here in Seagrove with a community of over 80 potteries, we donate approximately $100,000.00 in pots to auctions yearly. Some go for big bucks, some for a trifle of their original value. We also have a potter's relief fund that we all contribute pots too, to be sold and the money used for assisting those of us in need for whatever reason. Having had 2 heart attacks and losing my health insurance consequently, they recently paid for my ER visit and other related costs after having a little knife slam into my hand while deburring when the scotchbrite belt broke. All that said, let's not give up.

I'm willing to donate 4 of my teabowls/stemless wine cups to the cause as well. You can go to my website for an idea of what they might look like, although those actual pieces are long gone. Whoever figures this thing out, just let me know what I need to do to participate on both levels, as a donater of goods, and as a potential recipient of that sweet knife.

Blessings upon you all, esp. the Burkes-Tom

Dave Martell
09-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Many people have come forward with ideas on helping the Burke family and I want you all to know that I think this is great and that we're hashing out the details in the back end to see what we can do here. I know that Bill wasn't looking for anything but too bad - he's getting it anyway. :)

I'll get back to this ASAP.

Dave

Bill Burke
09-16-2011, 12:45 AM
no fundraiser then.....

Hows my parrer
Hehe

It has gotten hung up,with all the others.

Chef Niloc
09-16-2011, 12:56 AM
Many people have come forward with ideas on helping the Burke family and I want you all to know that I think this is great and that we're hashing out the details in the back end to see what we can do here. I know that Bill wasn't looking for anything but too bad - he's getting it anyway. :)

I'll get back to this ASAP.

Dave

LOVE IT! Don't take no for a answer

oivind_dahle
09-16-2011, 03:26 AM
Nice Dave

Ill contact Harald today, and make a cool wip thread on the sharpening. Send me a PM on where you want it to be shipped. We can ship it directly to the winner as well - this way we save shipping cost.

The fundraiser is back on track!!!

For those who want to know more about Shigefusa:
http://articles.latimes.com/2001/mar/29/news/cl-43936

"The balance of the knife is so refined, it feels like an extension of the hand. In a world where nearly everything seems to be made on an assembly line, Iizuka's knives stand out for being entirely made by hand."

For those who want to know more about Marko
http://www.markotsourkan.com/

I really don't think he needs more intro here. He is out of this world, striving for perfection. The handle and saya on this one is one of the best he ever made. Marko had also started his own knife making, and therefor it will be hard to get a shigefusa with Marko saya and handle. Ill let Marko himself tell about this knife as well :)

For me this knife was a perfect cutter. Its also a piece with a nice history, and it is beautiful to look at :) I consider it one of the best knives in my collection.

Bill: I was just joking :) Im in no hurry. Im hoping for a western handle though :) hehe :) Take it to Blade 2012 as well :)

Harald: Can you call me? My iPhone is down and Im on a "lånetelefon", I don't have your number :(

oivind_dahle
09-16-2011, 05:01 AM
Time to post my favorite video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mElhT7V3bA

The song is fantastic, the performance is out of this world, but the response is amazing.
And the song is perfect for Bill in this situation :)

Lefty
09-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Dave, if a straight donation is legal, I'm sure you'll get overwhelming support. I know I'm for it.

oivind_dahle
09-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Knife is given to Darkhoek

He will oil it and sharpen it. I would like to thank Harald for doing this for free for "the cause".
I hope he puts up a WIP. The knife is in Mint condition.

Dave: Any ideas what to do?
Harald will have it at his place until we are ready to ship it anywhere on the planet :)
Harald said he would post some pics. Put it is the Shig on Markos homesite. Maybe Marko can post some pics?

sudsy9977
09-21-2011, 12:44 AM
i am working on something as we speak...it'll take a few days to get all sorted out so just hold tight people....more to come soon....ryan

add
09-21-2011, 02:13 AM
Best thoughts and prayers Bill...

oivind_dahle
09-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Any news?

Dave Martell
09-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Ryan needs to talk with Bill, just waiting on this to happen.

Cipcich
09-24-2011, 01:07 AM
Six pages and no one has suggested that if we had single-payer health coverage one of the most esteemed knife makers in this country wouldn't be in this fix? Instead, we're taking up a collection? What about all the folks who can't make fine knives?

Chef Niloc
09-24-2011, 01:13 AM
Couldn't the ABS start up a program for there members? Maybe join up with the Knife makers guild ?

Eamon Burke
09-24-2011, 01:18 AM
That's a can of worms in USA circa 2011. It would be a paradigm shift for the ABS and the KMG to start doing insurance-related anything.

Andrew H
09-24-2011, 01:28 AM
Six pages and no one has suggested that if we had single-payer health coverage one of the most esteemed knife makers in this country wouldn't be in this fix? Instead, we're taking up a collection? What about all the folks who can't make fine knives?

I agree with you, but suggesting that if we had a single-payer health care coverage wouldn't actually do anything to help Bill out. Where as trying to help Bill out ourselves does do something. If you think this knife forum can convert the country to a single-payer system, please, let me know.

Chef Niloc
09-24-2011, 02:45 AM
That's a can of worms in USA circa 2011. It would be a paradigm shift for the ABS and the KMG to start doing insurance-related anything.

So I guess a " kitchen knife forum" group plan is out if the question?

Cipcich
09-24-2011, 07:01 AM
I was in no way intending to denigrate the efforts to help Bill Burke. I was simply pointing out that, were it not for the antediluvian politics of this country, Mr. Burke would not be in this fix.
It is good that he was able to find employment with health care benefits. Not everyone is so fortunate. I have spent the last ten years trying to provide medical coverage for my seriously ill 31 year old daughter, and know how difficult it can be.
It would be interesting to hear from members in Canada and Northern Europe on this subject. Or Texas.

sudsy9977
09-24-2011, 07:13 AM
i should have news on monday or tuesday for eeveryone....ryan

oivind_dahle
09-24-2011, 09:56 AM
I really look forward to what you come up with!

The shig is ready, guess you seen the post from Darkhoek...
Still got patina, but can be removed after wishes from the winner. The Shig is in mint condition :)
Shipping is included world wide.

I hope this fundraiser gets a lot of people involved!!
And I hope it gives Bill and his family a chance to breath!
Best wishes for Bill and his family from Norway!!!

Dave Martell
10-01-2011, 12:48 AM
I just heard from Ryan on this, the details are just about worked out and there should be a post up VERY soon. :)