PDA

View Full Version : Takeda gyuto quality control question

EdipisReks
10-01-2011, 01:18 PM
I owned one of the cktg special gyutos, and the dimensions didn't work out for me (it was a 300mm knife, not a 270, with all the associated issues), but i liked the knife, and i still like the looks of them. however, i keep seeing that current Takedas aren't as nice as ones from several years ago, and that QC is a problem. how much of a chance is there getting a good one, these days? i'd be interested in a 240 gyuto.

Cadillac J
10-01-2011, 02:31 PM
I've had two Takedas: 240 gyuto and a 240 kiritsuke-gyuto

The gyuto seemed perfect from a build quality perspective...it had no flex, great finish and just a solid all-around construction. I loved everything about it except for the tall blade and curve of the profile, so I sold it to Seb a while back. At the time, I figured if I could have the exact same knife but with a flat profile and shorter blade height, it could be the ultimate for me...so the kiritsuke-gyuto called my name.

However, the kiritsuke-gyuto was a bit of a different animal. It doesn't have as nice of a kurouchi finish(almost has 'dry spots' in some parts?), has a lot of flex in the blade, and just overall doesn't have the solid feel like my previous gyuto. I still like it, but it was different than I expected it to be and seemed like it was made with a bit less care and attention to detail as the gyuto.

tk59
10-01-2011, 03:22 PM
I've only seen one Takeda. A 240 gyuto bought about 2 yrs ago, iirc. I had no problems with it.

EdipisReks
10-01-2011, 04:07 PM
How was blade geometry?

Seb
10-01-2011, 06:37 PM
The gyuto I got from J is outstanding! It would take Seal Team Six or the SAS to take it off me. :D

wsfarrell
10-01-2011, 09:18 PM
I also have a 240 that's a couple years old. It's tall at the heel for sure, but fit and finish are good and geometry is perfect (extremely thin above the bevel). Cuts like a demon, and I can live with the tallness.

unkajonet
10-01-2011, 10:18 PM
I have the 240 that I think tk59 was talking about...no problems at all. Although I think what they're charging now is a little on the steep side.

EdipisReks
10-01-2011, 11:24 PM
I have the 240 that I think tk59 was talking about...no problems at all. Although I think what they're charging now is a little on the steep side.

yeah, i probably should have bought a second (regular one) before the price changed.

tk59
10-02-2011, 12:36 AM
...It's tall at the heel for sure, but fit and finish are good and geometry is perfect (extremely thin above the bevel). Cuts like a demon, and I can live with the tallness.It has looks that only a parent could tolerate but this pretty much sums it up. If I remember correctly, sticking wasn't bad either, esp. considering how thin it is. I think the cladding is a little more reactive than I'd like. It is one of two knives that developed rust spots under my care. (My shig being in another league altogether...)

jaybett
10-02-2011, 04:48 AM
There have been a number of issues reported with Takeda: handles installed incorrectly, globs of epoxy at the tang, metal that can be easily bent, and so on. If you buy from a reputable dealer, then you should be able to find a good Takeda.

Part of the appeal of Takeda, was getting a hand crafted knife, with AS steel, at a good price. Now that the prices have risen, the interesting characteristics, are not so interesting.

Jay

Timthebeaver
10-02-2011, 05:22 AM
My Takeda (250mm gyuto) has the epoxy glob, which doesn't bother me in the slightest. Aside from that, it's perfect.

Seb
10-02-2011, 06:37 AM
I like the epoxy blob.

Timthebeaver
10-02-2011, 08:02 AM
it beats handle rot.

Cadillac J
10-02-2011, 09:47 AM
I like the epoxy blob.

Me too, it was great protection from any moisture getting in there. Then again, the epoxy was PERFECT from what I remember on your gyuto.

EdipisReks
10-02-2011, 01:23 PM
the 300mm takeda gyuto i had had a perfectly even epoxy blob around the tang. didn't bother me in the slightest.

SpikeC
10-02-2011, 02:42 PM
My Takeda has had less use since I have been using the knives that I am making, but it still gets out and is a pleasure to use. I acquired mine earlier this year from CKTG and have no issues with it. I love the hand forged aspect and rustic appearance coupled with the amazing edge and cutting ability.

EdipisReks
10-02-2011, 02:55 PM
My Takeda has had less use since I have been using the knives that I am making, but it still gets out and is a pleasure to use. I acquired mine earlier this year from CKTG and have no issues with it. I love the hand forged aspect and rustic appearance coupled with the amazing edge and cutting ability.

i really liked the rustic appearance, too. i need to get a suji first, but i think i may just snag a 240 Takeda afterwards. thanks guys!

NO ChoP!
10-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Between me and coworkers, there are three different Takedas at my job. Mine came from Salty, and its a few years old. I have noticed a slight overgrind at the heel, and the taper is not even from side to side, following the blade spin. Plus, the bendy thing has always bothered me. It does take a superior thin edge, though.

My buddy has Marios old thinned and rehandled Takeda. It has a completely different profile and geometry than mine, and is shorter, even though they're both 240's supposedly.

Another guy has a newer version. I would attest the quality is no different than the others....

EdipisReks
10-02-2011, 08:26 PM
hmmm. thanks!