PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Santoku with Curly Koa.

HHH Knives
10-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Heres one I made for the Get together.. We used it a little and it got handles alot! :) Its a 1095 HC full tang with stabilized Koa from Burl source. Beautiful stuff! Deep curl and great movement!

I did a forced mustard patina on this blade. rounded/relieved spine and choil. Stainless fittings with single mosaic. made from nickel silver, stainless and copper.

Full flat grinds with blended convex. 210mm blade.

For more info on this one, Please visit my web page. http://www.hhhcustomknives.com/high-carbon-kitchen-cutter-santoku-with-koa-handles/

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1953&d=1318341189

obtuse
10-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Nice knife! The curly koa looks awesome. It looks more like a really flat gyuto to me :)

Andrew H
10-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Nice knife! The curly koa looks awesome. It looks more like a really flat gyuto to me :)

Just what we want santokus to be...

Looks good Randy.

Kyle
10-11-2011, 12:54 PM
The koa really does stand out on this. Nice work!

mr drinky
10-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Nice blade. Is that the one in the video from the get together?

k.

HHH Knives
10-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Thanks Guys. The blade is not the same one we used in the video. It was at the Get together on the table and is in a few of the SWAG pics.. :)

This Koa is some of the deepest curl I have ever had the pleasure of using.. The handle looks so 3-D!!

HHH Knives
10-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Just what we want santokus to be...

Looks good Randy. Thanks Andrew. Im trying!!

HHH Knives
10-11-2011, 02:56 PM
I forgot to mention. Its FREE shipping to all KKF members. And 10.00 off actual shipping cost to anyone outside of the USA.. Forum special. Just PM me after you make the purchase and I will refund the shipping cost when I print the shipping label. :)

Heres a few more pics with a lighter background.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1963&d=1318356018http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1965&d=1318356032

Choll
10-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Hi Randy. I just purchased this knife and will appreciate the discount. I guess because I am new to the forum I cannot send a PM yet. Anyways I look forward to getting the knife and using it down here in MS. Thanks!

kalaeb
10-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Hi Randy. I just purchased this knife and will appreciate the discount. I guess because I am new to the forum I cannot send a PM yet. Anyways I look forward to getting the knife and using it down here in MS. Thanks!

Nice score, let us know how you like it.

99Limited
10-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Yeah Choll, you saved me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to walk away to keep from grabbing it for myself. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Vertigo
10-11-2011, 06:34 PM

Thanks. That was very close to being a 1 minute sale, I saw the thread right when he listed it and almost pulled the trigger. Glad someone else took the temptation away!

apicius9
10-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Very nice, not sure if I would cal, it a gyuto or a santoku, but it's a great looking knife and a very nice working size IMHO. And nothing with koa can ever look bad ;)

Stefan

Eamon Burke
10-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Aww I missed the price. Now I don't know how much to steal, I mean save.:pirate1:

Mr. Haas, your work is blowing my mind lately. It talks to me. I gotta get my hands on one.

HHH Knives
10-11-2011, 08:50 PM

Thank you sir. I will get this one packaged up and sent out to you first thing in the morning.. :)

SpikeC
10-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Very nice knife, Randy. How are you doing your mustard finish, if I might ask?

HHH Knives
10-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks guys for the comments and complements on the knife.. :)

Spike, I just clean and dry the blade and apply the mustard with a small paint brush. Leave it on the blade about 5 min. and rinse.. Then, if need be you can reapply to any areas that need it.. This blade I reapplied mustard to the entire blade a second time. Rinse and dry then light oil. :)

1095 steel reacts very quickly to mustard.. Some other High Carbons you may have to wait longer to get similar results. But as far as I can tell. Theres no wrong way to do it. Mainly, Have fun and experiment till you get your desired effect.

Burl Source
10-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Congratulations Choll,
Beautiful knife. Cool pattern in the patina.

I am curious about the mustard patina.
Will it keep looking like this? or will it darken and evolve over time as it is used?

SpikeC
10-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Mine evolve and become more uniform over time.

Mike Davis
10-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Choll....I almost took this one straight from Randy's hands! It is the most impressive Koa i have seen in hand...Looks like the figuring goes as deep as the other side of the handle! It feels beautiful in hand, and is a joy to hold. Amazing knife and great score!

HHH Knives
10-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks Mike. Yea its a beautiful knife.. :) I seen you fondling it quite a bit! lol :lol2:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1985&d=1318430597

The patina on my knives get darker and richer over time. Alot depends on what you cut and how you clean it I think..

Choll
10-17-2011, 05:30 PM
I received this knife Saturday. It is a thing of real beauty, both to look at and to hold. I have not gotten to cut much with it yet, but I have done a bunch of staring at it because of how good it looks. Thanks Randy and I suspect I will be in contact for another when my bank account allows.

HHH Knives
10-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Choll. Im very happy to hear the knife arrived safely. Thanks you again. May it serve you well.

God Bless
Randy