PDA

View Full Version : Chefs loves my Kono HD which knife to get him that will compare

jgraeff
10-11-2011, 11:11 AM
So my chef always steals my Kono HD at work and is always hinting the he loves the knife. Im looking to get him something similar, something stainless or semi-stainless with wa handle preferable but yo handle is fine.

Im more concerned with price overall i don't want to spend very much as i have to buy everyone christmas gifts.

I was thinking the carbonext its 128 right now thats pretty decent, or the TKC but thats kinda outa my price range. any other suggestions??

obtuse
10-11-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm having a hard time thinking of any real substitute for the HD in a lower price range. The CarboNext is the obvious choice, but by most accounts needs thinning.

tk59
10-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Yeah. You're not going to get anything with that kind of fit and finish for less, I think. The CN is fine without thinning but can do better with a little TLC. That's where I'd go.

99Limited
10-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Giving your chef anything less than a Kono HD will be, well, less. Why don't you clean your Kono up and give it to your chef and buy yourself a CN? This is assuming that you really like your chef and where you work.

tk59
10-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Dang... That would be love, right there...

mpukas
10-11-2011, 03:14 PM
How about the Yusuke Swedish Stainless f/ Blue Way Japan (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Swedish-Stainless-Wa-Gyuto-Knife-240mm-Octagon-/380368599010?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588fbc37e2)? It's less than a Kono (or any other comparable), but their steel is HRC 58-59 compared to the Kono's 61. BWJ offers Yusuke's stainless and white #2 which is HRC 61-62 for the same price in each knife in each length, in both wa and yo handles. I have the white #2 and don't have any problems w/ rust or reactivity to foods.

If that's too much, then I 2nd the CarboNext. mpp

jgraeff
10-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Giving your chef anything less than a Kono HD will be, well, less. Why don't you clean your Kono up and give it to your chef and buy yourself a CN? This is assuming that you really like your chef and where you work.

Ya not gonna happen lol. I love that knife way too much plus i don't really have the money to get another one. I was thinking the Gesshin 210

chefofthefuture
10-11-2011, 04:30 PM
What about the Kikuichi TKC? It's a solid workhorse knife in any kitchen.

Citizen Snips
10-11-2011, 11:16 PM
How about the Yusuke Swedish Stainless f/ Blue Way Japan (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Swedish-Stainless-Wa-Gyuto-Knife-240mm-Octagon-/380368599010?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588fbc37e2)? It's less than a Kono (or any other comparable), but their steel is HRC 58-59 compared to the Kono's 61. BWJ offers Yusuke's stainless and white #2 which is HRC 61-62 for the same price in each knife in each length, in both wa and yo handles. I have the white #2 and don't have any problems w/ rust or reactivity to foods.

If that's too much, then I 2nd the CarboNext. mpp

^^this

TDj
10-12-2011, 09:10 AM
but if the yusuke's too much, why not a yoshihiro that you hand-smoothed the edges to? it'll be cheaper.

jgraeff
10-12-2011, 10:58 AM
That is an option, i first thought of the TKC but i knew i couldn't afford the price so i was hoping the CN would be a good deal cheaper but its really not by much.

phan1
10-13-2011, 02:52 AM
I would just get the white #2 version of the knife. $100 cheaper if that's in your price range...

AFKitchenknivesguy
10-13-2011, 03:07 AM
Hmm, kinda weird that you are buying your boss something so pricey, yet at all. You must really like him.

jgraeff
10-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Its not really that i like him that much, but he has only ever used cusineart knives and i almost feel bad for him that when he uses mine i can tell he really enjoys a good knife. Id like to stay under a $100 although I'm not sure anything in that range remotely compares.

swarfrat
10-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Maybe get him a combo stone and teach him how to sharpen his own knives?

No matter how nice a blade you give him, if he doesn't learn how to keep it sharp he'll be borrowing yours anyway.

JanusInTheGarden
10-13-2011, 12:08 PM
He's your boss thus he can afford to buy his own dang knife. You are seriously the nicest line cook I've ever heard of.

stevenStefano
10-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Tell him you'll buy him an HD if you get a pay rise

TDj
10-13-2011, 01:33 PM
He's your boss thus he can afford to buy his own dang knife. You are seriously the nicest line cook I've ever heard of. I kind of agree with this - it's not like HD's are a rarity. Plus, if he buys it, he might spring for a super-cool handle or something (just so you guys don't mix up your knives ... and so his can be pimped out).

slowtyper
10-13-2011, 01:44 PM
He's your boss thus he can afford to buy his own dang knife. You are seriously the nicest line cook I've ever heard of.

+1 I understand being a nice guy, but this is a bit weird and could make problems at work depending on what type of work environment.

phan1
10-13-2011, 03:29 PM
I think you guys are reading way too much into this. But in that price range, I'd Get a carbonext, no doubt about it.

TamanegiKin
10-13-2011, 04:32 PM
How can you guys tell him It's weird with no idea where he works, who he works with and the type of vibe at his workplace. I've gifted a knife or two when money wasn't a concern, I've sharpened knives of co workers, I've let people borrow knives, I love spreading the knife gospel when I can.

slowtyper
10-14-2011, 12:53 AM
How can you guys tell him It's weird with no idea where he works, who he works with and the type of vibe at his workplace. I've gifted a knife or two when money wasn't a concern, I've sharpened knives of co workers, I've let people borrow knives, I love spreading the knife gospel when I can.

Hmm you are right!

AFKitchenknivesguy
10-14-2011, 01:18 AM

Easily, I just did. Sounds like you're a great guy, the most I do is sometimes bake or help him haul something in my truck. He makes twice as much as I do, why would I spend $100-200 on him? I know what my coworkers would say, but I'll leave that to your imagination. Then again, I am in the military and there are rules against that.

macmiddlebrooks
10-14-2011, 02:12 AM
I know what my coworkers would say, but I'll leave that to your imagination.

Was thinking something similar.

TamanegiKin
10-14-2011, 03:52 AM
Easily, I just did. Sounds like you're a great guy, the most I do is sometimes bake or help him haul something in my truck. He makes twice as much as I do, why would I spend $100-200 on him? I know what my coworkers would say, but I'll leave that to your imagination. Then again, I am in the military and there are rules against that.

I see what you're saying and how it could be strange.
It's different from kitchen to kitchen though, I've worked with chefs who I wouldn't even share a recipe with but I've worked with others who have held raffles to raise money on my behalf while I was out of work. Too many variables IMO to say it'd be weird in all cases. That's the only point I was trying to make, apologies if it came across any differently.

jgraeff
10-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Was thinking something similar.

You guys worry too much about what other people think.... seriously though who cares. This was a question about knives not work environment.

and ya our kitchen is very different, we have 90% of a young crew who all went to culinary school together and are good friends, plus our chef is also a part time instructor at the culinary school. We all usually get jackets or something from him/owners for christmas so i figure that itd be something nice to do since they are good to me.

I wouldn't spend 200+ on a knife for him as i can't afford it but if i can find a decent one for about 100 or less than ya sure i can spare that.

Eamon Burke
10-14-2011, 05:29 PM
I'd buy a knife for my boss. It is a little wierd to spend money on someone who gave it to you in the first place, but a gift is a means of defining a relationship--by not giving a gift, you are basically saying "you are the guy who gives me money", and by giving a knife you are saying "you are a cook, whom I work with and notice".

Fujiwara. Just get him a Fujiwara. It's cheap, and not VG-10.

sachem allison
10-14-2011, 11:56 PM
I have some brand new Miyabi 5000s 240mm gyutos if your interested, pm me.
They are thin and fairly shop out of the box. they have wa style handles