PDA

View Full Version : OK, I need a Gyuto

Keith Neal
10-11-2011, 05:09 PM
You guys have convinced me that I must have a gyuto. This forum is going to cost me!

Factors:

To replace a Shun Classic 8" chef's knife for home use. The
Shun now seems clunky and awkward.

My little Carter funayuki has convinced me that I require
a nice thin Gyuto that can be kept razor sharp. I love the
Carter for little jobs, but need a general purpose, full size
knife for larger jobs.

I have a Masamoto yanagiba, Ichimonji kiritsuki and the Carter.
I like to sharpen and care for carbon steel, and keep my knives
in immaculate condition.

I like simple, functional but top quality tools. Simple but nice wood.
Fortunately, I have not yet learned to appreciate damascus.
A nice finish is fine.

Have I left anything important out?

What do you suggest?

Thanks,

Keith

Timthebeaver
10-11-2011, 05:34 PM
You just described a Sakai Yusuke gyuto in white steel. Wa (Ho and Ichii wood) and Yo-handled, 210-270mm versions from bluewayjapan on ebay.

wenus2
10-11-2011, 07:20 PM
You like that Carter.... He sells full size knives.

Jon could get you a pretty sweet 240 Konosuke in carbon with an ebony handle. That's pretty hard to beat for a simple elegant solution. For a few bucks less he has one in stock in white #2 with the standard handle (which is still pretty nice). They have nice F&F as well.

The trend seems to be away from super thin, although it's hard to ignore how much fun thin can be.

obtuse
10-11-2011, 07:22 PM
If you have time to wait and a $400 budget I'd get on the next Martell preorder. You wont regret it! Anything konosuke is good too or geshin ginga from jki

NO ChoP!
10-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Why not Masamoto KS? Thin, elegant, prestigious. Handle is simple, but you can pick different color ferrules from JCK....

Eamon Burke
10-11-2011, 08:11 PM
What about one of Marko's?

TDj
10-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Marko's gonna make some killer knives for sure - but his style isn't "thin", which I thought OP preferred?

Eamon Burke
10-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Marko's gonna make some killer knives for sure - but his style isn't "thin", which I thought OP preferred?

Oh yeah. :slaphead:

Wait, what was the budget again?

stevenStefano
10-11-2011, 09:52 PM
If you're looking for a carbon laser the Sakai Yusuke knives are very good and aren't super expensive. I'd either get one of those or a Konosuke

tk59
10-12-2011, 02:20 AM
If you're as kind to your knives as you make it sound, I would consider the Kochi lines.

Seb
10-12-2011, 07:06 AM
Any of the Sakai White#2 carbon steel knives would fit the bill and they are all awesome: Yusuke, Ashi Ginga, Konosuke...

I have a Yusuke (240 Wa-gyuto) and an Ashi Ginga (225 chuka bocho/Chinese cleaver) in White#2 and the steel is just phenomenal!

Keith Neal
10-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Oh yeah. :slaphead:

Wait, what was the budget again?

The budget is flexible. If everyone agreed that a particular knife is the standout in the category but cost a bunch more, I would be interested.

K

TDj
10-12-2011, 09:18 AM
oh - apparently i also didn't know that the budget was ... pliable. Marko might be a good thought if you do wa- and can wait. And just in case i'm spreading false information - it's not that Marko's knives are going to be "thick" - knowing what I know about Marko (which is actually only a little) - I'd be willing to guess that he's he's probably tried every possible combination of spine-to-edge taper on the planet to find the absolute most efficient combination to make a knife with a 3mm spine cut like a 2mm spine. The problem: he's done taking orders 'til the new year - PT him if interested (he has his own subforum).

macmiddlebrooks
10-12-2011, 09:25 AM
The 270mm ebony and blond ferrule handled Konosuke HD looks :eek2:.

TDj
10-12-2011, 12:59 PM
The 270mm ebony and blond ferrule handled Konosuke HD looks :eek2:.
270mm Konosuke HD with a stefan handle looks good, too
http://afterdinnersneeze.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/p1010007.jpg?w=700&h=504

Sorry ... couldn't help myself but to show off stefan's/dave's work!

macmiddlebrooks
10-12-2011, 01:35 PM

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculously amazing, thanks for making me drool :). One day perhaps...

Eamon Burke
10-12-2011, 06:02 PM
The budget is flexible. If everyone agreed that a particular knife is the standout in the category but cost a bunch more, I would be interested.

K

If it is at all in the cards, go custom.

You will not regret it. Every custom knife I've handled from the guys with subforums here has been in a class apart from production-run stuff.

Pick a guy who's style you like and talk to him. I mean it, you will have a knife that makes you think of more ingredients to cook with!

JohnnyChance
10-13-2011, 02:36 PM
oh - apparently i also didn't know that the budget was ... pliable. Marko might be a good thought if you do wa- and can wait. And just in case i'm spreading false information - it's not that Marko's knives are going to be "thick" - knowing what I know about Marko (which is actually only a little) - I'd be willing to guess that he's he's probably tried every possible combination of spine-to-edge taper on the planet to find the absolute most efficient combination to make a knife with a 3mm spine cut like a 2mm spine. The problem: he's done taking orders 'til the new year - PT him if interested (he has his own subforum).

Marko's knives are pretty thin.

And spine thickness has relatively little affect on cutting ability.

Keith Neal
10-14-2011, 06:34 AM
Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!

Keith

tk59
10-14-2011, 12:25 PM

What is that handle made of?