PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Fingerstones

Dave Martell
10-11-2011, 07:45 PM
I've got myself a little stash of these guys and thought that maybe some of you might want some for yourself.

They're man made (no soak needed) stones that are sort of fast wearing yet fast cutting and they easily conform to shapes of uneven bevels and the popular hamaguriba form.

These stones aren't meant to re-surface the sides of knives like many people use natural fingerstones for. They're strictly for cleaning up and making an even surface appearance of the blade road of single bevel knives to bring up a nice kasumi finish and texture. The surface provided is great for food release and is easy on the eyes.

These little buggers are what I've been using for years to help me make not so pretty stuff look good. For a sharpener using synthetic stones on single bevel knives this is the answer you've been looking for.

I'm thinking of selling 3 or 4 pieces for $10. Any interest?

Eamon Burke
10-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Don't lie, you dropped a king 800, didn't you?

Got any pics of a bevel? I don't need them, but hey, that's not always stopped me.

Dave Martell
10-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Don't lie, you dropped a king 800, didn't you?

Got any pics of a bevel? I don't need them, but hey, that's not always stopped me.

LOL :D

Even though I have dropped a King 800x these aren't from that or even King 800x fingerstones. I did use those a lot early on though.

These stones are actually what I use after a King 800x finish on lots of knives I do. I get mucho compliments on this too and it's oh so simple to do.

I don't have comparison before/after type pictures (yet) but here's one example of what a bevel would look like from using these stones on it...

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1983&d=1318378696

obtuse
10-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Perty! I might be interested

Dave Martell
10-11-2011, 10:28 PM
I forgot to mention that these stones work great on wide beveled doubles like Takeda and Moritaka type knives as well.

Vladimir
10-12-2011, 05:48 AM
It is interesting to see the photos themselves Stones :)

tk59
10-12-2011, 09:48 AM
I'll try one. Can you send it with my previous order?

Dave Martell
10-12-2011, 11:02 AM
I'll try one. Can you send it with my previous order?

Will do - thanks! :)

Dave Martell
10-12-2011, 11:04 AM
I got this PM last night....

so how the finishing of this stone then ? hazy, cloudy, or slightly mirror like 5k or 10k naniwa ss ?

My answer....

The finish is going to be greatly effected by the stone used directly before it. I almost always use either the King 800x or synthetic aoto but it works also following the Rika, Kitayama, etc. It ranges between hazy/scratchy to matte(ish) to near polished. Also how you use it will effect the end results too, like if you build up mud or use heavy or light pressure, etc.

Dave Martell
10-12-2011, 11:05 AM
It is interesting to see the photos themselves Stones :)

I'm going to do something for this soon.

kalaeb
10-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Why would these not work on the face of dbl bevel knives for scratch removal? I have not ever used finger stones before so I'm not sure of thbe process

Dave Martell
10-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Why would these not work on the face of dbl bevel knives for scratch removal? I have not ever used finger stones before so I'm not sure of thbe process

I've only tried them a few times for this so I could be wrong. I think that maybe if the blade face was prepped first then these stones would work like they do on the bevels. I never spent the time to make the blade faces even and properly textured so that's why I was thinking that.

unkajonet
10-12-2011, 11:36 AM
I'll give them a try. Can you add them to my care package?

Dave Martell
10-12-2011, 11:46 AM

Yes sir - thanks! :)

geezr
10-12-2011, 07:39 PM

:plus1:

Ordered synthetic finger stones - thanks Dave :thumbsup:

Dave Martell
10-13-2011, 12:10 AM
:plus1:

Ordered synthetic finger stones - thanks Dave :thumbsup:

No.....thank you! :)

ecchef
10-13-2011, 01:23 AM
Ok, throw one in with all the other stuff & add it to the bill. :angel2:

Keith Neal
10-13-2011, 01:24 AM
Dave:

I would like to try these. Can't find them on your web site. How do I order them?

Keith

Dave Martell
10-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Ok, throw one in with all the other stuff & add it to the bill. :angel2:

Done - thanks Dave!

Dave Martell
10-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Dave:

I would like to try these. Can't find them on your web site. How do I order them?

Keith

Hi Keith,
I haven't put them on my site yet since I was trying to see if there was any interest before I went to the trouble. I can either send you an invoice now or you can wait for me to get them listed which I'll hopefully get done soon.

Thanks

Dave Martell
10-13-2011, 09:52 PM
I did a down and dirty photoshoot today of using these stones on a knife I was working on. I'll get them posted up tomorrow.

Dave Martell
10-14-2011, 12:28 PM
CLICK HERE (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?3204-Using-Synthetic-Fingerstones&p=49199#post49199) for pictures of these fingerstones being used.

Dave Martell
10-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Synthetic Fingerstones now available HERE (http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/product-p/synfinst.htm)

geezr
10-14-2011, 01:50 PM
CLICK HERE (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?3204-Using-Synthetic-Fingerstones&p=49199#post49199) for pictures of these fingerstones being used.

:wow::coolsign:

Dave Martell
10-14-2011, 10:07 PM
:wow::coolsign:

It's a good thing that you feel that way since it's your knife. :D

Dave Martell
10-15-2011, 08:46 PM
These are going fast, thanks to everyone for your orders. :thumbsup:

geezr
10-20-2011, 05:11 PM
It's a good thing that you feel that way since it's your knife. :D

:viking: Really great knife to look-at and to use all the time - prepped beef slices and vegetables for beef tomato we will have for dinner tonight. :hungry3:
Cut-up some beef into smaller steaks for other meals. Looked around for something else to cut. :knife:

Dave Martell
10-20-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm glad that you like it Ken. :)

Dave Martell
10-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Has anyone had a chance to use these stones yet? Any comments or questions?

TamanegiKin
10-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Just ordered a set. Looking forward to trying 'em on my nakiri :)

geezr
10-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Has anyone had a chance to use these stones yet? Any comments or questions?

Saw this post, realized I ordered the finger stones - they are still in-the-bag :D
Really enjoying my new knives the few times I cook at home. This lack of prep activity means the (many) knives stay sharp and prefer not to futz with them just now.
But I will try the finger stones on the hand-down yanagi that has not been used for a real long time :spin chair:

Dave Martell
10-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Just ordered a set. Looking forward to trying 'em on my nakiri :)

They'll be shipping out tomorrow morning, thanks Erik!

Dave Martell
10-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Saw this post, realized I ordered the finger stones - they are still in-the-bag :D
Really enjoying my new knives the few times I cook at home. This lack of prep activity means the (many) knives stay sharp and prefer not to futz with them just now.
But I will try the finger stones on the hand-down yanagi that has not been used for a real long time :spin chair:

Let me know what you think when you get around to trying them out.

echerub
10-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Used them on ... two blades, I think. I didn't have good contrast to begin with from the stones I used beforehand, so the synthetic fingerstones didn't a whole lot in those two instances. Certainly nowhere close to what I saw them do following a King 800 :D

I'll still have to keep trying with other stones before the fingerstones to see what happens :)

Dave Martell
10-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Sounds like you need an 800x Len. Check out Lee Valley

The hekler
10-27-2011, 09:43 PM
I tried my synthetic finger stones a few days ago and had great results. I used them on a Shigefusa gyuto that I removed a forced mustard patina from. I might have gotten a little too aggressive with removing the patina and wanted to restore the finish to something closer to new. I was very pleased with the results though to be honest if I had taken my time a bit more and paid more attention I could have done better. My only complaint with the stones is that for some reason it seemed to leave a somewhat larger scratch every one and a while like a larger piece of grit was breaking of the stone, being trapped between the stone and knife. Not a very noticeable scratch but if I was looking for a professional finish I would be upset. I will continue to experiment to try for even better results, but so far so good. Oh on another note I used the knife for the first time since refinishing and the food release was amazing! 10x better then it was before I had refinished it so great results for function not just looks.

Dave Martell
10-27-2011, 10:00 PM
I tried my synthetic finger stones a few days ago and had great results. I used them on a Shigefusa gyuto that I removed a forced mustard patina from. I might have gotten a little too aggressive with removing the patina and wanted to restore the finish to something closer to new. I was very pleased with the results though to be honest if I had taken my time a bit more and paid more attention I could have done better. My only complaint with the stones is that for some reason it seemed to leave a somewhat larger scratch every one and a while like a larger piece of grit was breaking of the stone, being trapped between the stone and knife. Not a very noticeable scratch but if I was looking for a professional finish I would be upset. I will continue to experiment to try for even better results, but so far so good. Oh on another note I used the knife for the first time since refinishing and the food release was amazing! 10x better then it was before I had refinished it so great results for function not just looks.

Nice, I never tried them that way, thanks for sharing this. :)

Oh and the scratches will come when the stone needs it's edges rounded over, it's a corner digging in almost always. Just do a quickie rounding every so often when using and this won't be a problem.

The hekler
10-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Nice, I never tried them that way, thanks for sharing this. :)

Oh and the scratches will come when the stone needs it's edges rounded over, it's a corner digging in almost always. Just do a quickie rounding every so often when using and this won't be a problem.

Thanks for the tip I wondered if that could have been the cause.

TamanegiKin
10-27-2011, 11:33 PM
They'll be shipping out tomorrow morning, thanks Erik!

Awesome, thanks again Dave. I'll be sure to get some before and after shots.

geezr
10-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Let me know what you think when you get around to trying them out.

used finger stones last night - result is a clearly distinct wavy line, very shiny at the edge :jumpy:
not uniform so will need more work :pirate1:

tk59
10-28-2011, 06:25 PM
...not uniform so will need more work...same here...

Dave Martell
10-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Did you guys do the foundation work first or are you just going to the fingerstones? If you did the flattening and all that good stuff first and you see unevenness from the fingerstones they're pointing out unevenness in the bevel...OR....you just need more practice with them. :)

unkajonet
10-28-2011, 11:55 PM
More practice needed here...and I need to do the foundation work, too. But I did notice a difference. Nice contrast.

TamanegiKin
10-31-2011, 09:46 PM
Received my set today. I only had twenty minutes to play with 'em today but so far so good.
I muddied up my king 800 then did my best to polish only the hagane on a gesshin 5K and followed that with my new finger stones. I think will a little more time and some more practice I'll get some cool results. Thanks again for offering these Dave.

Before:
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x350/tamanegikin/IMAG0466.jpg
After:
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x350/tamanegikin/IMAG0467.jpg

Dave Martell
10-31-2011, 11:11 PM
That's pretty good, thanks for sharing your results. :)

geezr
11-01-2011, 12:59 AM
Did you guys do the foundation work first or are you just going to the fingerstones? If you did the flattening and all that good stuff first and you see unevenness from the fingerstones they're pointing out unevenness in the bevel...OR....you just need more practice with them. :)

:D just jumped right to the finger stones - the hand-down yanagi has been used and sharpened before but shows some uneven areas - still there is distinct contrast.....:)

tk59
11-01-2011, 11:14 AM
I spent more time at 1k and it's coming out better. :)

Eamon Burke
11-01-2011, 08:17 PM
I used them on a Shigefusa gyuto that I removed a forced mustard patina from. .... My only complaint with the stones is that for some reason it seemed to leave a somewhat larger scratch every one and a while like a larger piece of grit was breaking of the stone, being trapped between the stone and knife. Not a very noticeable scratch but if I was looking for a professional finish I would be upset.

I'm not sure if you have the same finish I do, but the shige that I have has these fine, hair-like lines in the face, running laterally--from handle to tip--and my fingerstones don't remove them. I'm not sure what they are exactly because of how they behave(strangely), but they are there, and Dr. Naka said they are one of the little distinctions of Iizuka san's work. What are the odds this is what you are looking at?

The hekler
11-01-2011, 10:42 PM
I'm not sure if you have the same finish I do, but the shige that I have has these fine, hair-like lines in the face, running laterally--from handle to tip--and my fingerstones don't remove them. I'm not sure what they are exactly because of how they behave(strangely), but they are there, and Dr. Naka said they are one of the little distinctions of Iizuka san's work. What are the odds this is what you are looking at?

I think I know exactly what you are talking about and you may have answered a question thy I haven't yet figured out how to ask and I thank you. I do have odd lines on that one gyuto that I think are what you are talking about. These are not what I would call "hair like" they are thicker and seem to be in the actual steel of the knife not just the finish. Also where the finish runs perfectly straight these lines seem to follow the shape of the spine. Are these what you are talking about? The lines I was talking about in the above post were scratches Which I am convinced were left as Dave pointed out by me not rounding off the edges. It is odd though the lines that I think you are talking about are only on one of my three shigefusa's at first I thought they had something to do with the forced patina but the more I look at then the more natural to the knife they seem.

Dave Martell
11-02-2011, 12:42 PM
We just got in some King 800x (http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/product-p/king800.htm) stones that work great with our synthetic fingerstones (http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/product-p/synfinst.htm).