PDA

View Full Version : Strops, Hones, & Compounds

Dave Martell
10-14-2011, 01:26 PM
We have a crapload of stropping goods on the way to us so I'm opening up the pre-order/back order status on all of them so that I can ship as soon as it arrives.

This is the first time in many many many months that we'll have everything strop related that we sell available. You can back order (pre-order) all items on this page now...

Strops, Hones, & Compounds (http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/category-s/27.htm)

PS - This includes stropping kits too. :)

obtuse
10-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Awesome! Let's see if I can scrape the dough together :)

Dave Martell
10-14-2011, 10:01 PM
I should have everything and be able to ship by the end of next week.

obtuse
10-15-2011, 12:59 AM
Whoa! That's faster than expected ... I shouldn't have splurged on the expensive Bourbon tonight :sad0:

Dave Martell
10-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Today I received everything except for felt and CrO powder which are both expected by tomorrow to arrive. Once I have your stuff for your order it'll get shipped.

*Note - Even though I ordered a lot of product this time I believe 1/2 of it has already been reserved so if anyone is wanting something please order as soon as you can or you'll have to wait for the next load.

Thanks to all of you for your generous support. :)
Dave

tk59
10-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Sweet.

Dave Martell
10-22-2011, 11:18 AM
I'm waiting for one component on the kits to arrive (I hadn't checked the boxes before posting that it was all here - doh) and then it'll all be listed on the site.

Dave Martell
10-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Ugh......I'm STILL waiting for one piece of the puzzle to arrive......it's lost somewhere in the USPS mess. :bashhead:

tk59
10-28-2011, 06:21 PM
The strops arrived a couple days ago and I've used one of the preloaded ones a few times. I'm not liking them quite as much as the old ones although they seem to be working so far. What is really bothering me is the preloaded ones are unsticking from the metal backing and the glue is gooey and sticky. What's the deal and what do I do about it? The not preloaded ones seem fine but are they going to unstick once I treat them with something?

Dave Martell
10-28-2011, 06:28 PM
The strops arrived a couple days ago and I've used one of the preloaded ones a few times. I'm not liking them quite as much as the old ones although they seem to be working so far. What is really bothering me is the preloaded ones are unsticking from the metal backing and the glue is gooey and sticky. What's the deal and what do I do about it? The not preloaded ones seem fine but are they going to unstick once I treat them with something?

The reports are now pouring in. :bashhead:

Yes it seems that once a compound is sprayed on the leather it will remove itself from the plates pretty easily. I had this happen at first but then I got the problem to disappear (by conditioning with oil) but then I got another load of strops that appear to be coming apart regardless of what I do. :doublebanghead:

If you want to re-glue the leather back down then that's cool but I don't expect anyone to do this. I'll be contacting the strop maker and getting his input on this but please don't worry about being at a loss as this will be taken care of one way or another.

Sorry for the trouble.

tk59
10-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Hey dude, no head-banging. I need you to focus! ;)

...If you want to re-glue the leather back down then that's cool... What seems to be working as far as regluing?

Dave Martell
10-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Hey dude, no head-banging. I need you to focus! ;)
What seems to be working as far as regluing?

I'm focusing on jumping off a bridge. :D

So far I've been told by one guy that he used CA glue and another that used contact cement. The CA glue was used to tack down the curling sides where the guy who used the contact cement peeled the leather off of the plate, cleaned the plate, and then attached. Both say that the problem is solved.

Dave Martell
11-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Ok folks, don't anyone ever argue with me ever again when I say that I've got bad luck.

So I've been waiting on one last component to put the strop kits together...... the first shipment - lost, the replacement shipment just arrived with nothing in the package! You've got to be kidding me!?!? :doublebanghead:

Dave Martell
11-02-2011, 12:48 PM
On the leather issue, it's still unresolved but it's being worked on. Thanks for your patience on all this.

heirkb
11-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Ok folks, don't anyone ever argue with me ever again when I say that I've got bad luck.

So I've been waiting on one last component to put the strop kits together...... the first shipment - lost, the replacement shipment just arrived with nothing in the package! You've got to be kidding me!?!? :doublebanghead:

At least they care, right? :slaphead:

Dave Martell
11-02-2011, 09:56 PM
At least they care, right? :slaphead:

Yeah.....that's......something I guess.

Dave Martell
11-05-2011, 03:09 PM
The final component has arrived. :dance:

I'm packing up all backorders today for shipment on Monday morning.

Oh and a heads up - there's a few kits, bases, leather, chromium oxide, and felt pads/blocks in stock as well. I believe over 60 in stock request emails went out for the kits alone so those will likely go pretty quick.

http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/category-s/27.htm

Dave Martell
12-15-2011, 02:51 PM
On the leather issue, it's still unresolved but it's being worked on. Thanks for your patience on all this.

Update>

The leather that's now being supplied with our hones is pretty good stuff and I'm satisfied with it, however, it does present a problem when used in combination with the Dupont diamond spray. The Dupont spray shrinks the leather and causes it to curl at the edges and pull away from the steel plate. This isn't something that is going to be able to be fixed.

The choices for us then are to either go with a new leather pad or diamond spray. Most likely the leather will stay and the diamond will go as a couple of the options I have are pretty good for new sprays, in fact, one of them is nicely surprising me but it may not be a financially viable option.

So we're still stumbling along but I'm convinced that the effort will be worth the work. I'll keep you posted.

Dave Martell
12-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Oh and the base may have a new face lift coming soon - a new weighted version is on the horizon. I've been testing it and like it better than any other bench hone I've used to date. It's great for us heavy handed stroppers since it stays put nicely, it makes the old HA steel top base seem like a feather in comparison and it still retains the classy look that the current base has. Another wife friendly hone. :)

SpikeC
12-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Instead of diamond spray, I use a diamond paste one of my leather strops. It doesn't do anything to the leather except keep it from drying out.

Dave Martell
12-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Instead of diamond spray, I use a diamond paste one of my leather strops. It doesn't do anything to the leather except keep it from drying out.

I love diamond pastes when I can get a good spread going. I haven't had much luck with it on textured leather though, sort of clumpy. It's great stuff though since you can get it in real high concentrations.

Dave Martell
12-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Here's a surprise for myself, I just got in another version of the Dupont polycrystalline white diamond spray to test, it's supposed to not curl the leather. It's a tweaked version of one I've been selling. So far so good in testing for curling and edge quality. They sent 0.25 & 1 mic samples to test and I'm liking what the 1mic is giving up. Makes me wonder if an even coarser version might be worth checking out.

Anyway, this is very uplifting news for me. :)

jmforge
12-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Anyway, this is very uplifting news for me. :) But not for your leather. :D

zitangy
01-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Here's a surprise for myself, I just got in another version of the Dupont polycrystalline white diamond spray to test, it's supposed to not curl the leather. It's a tweaked version of one I've been selling. So far so good in testing for curling and edge quality. They sent 0.25 & 1 mic samples to test and I'm liking what the 1mic is giving up. Makes me wonder if an even coarser version might be worth checking out.

Anyway, this is very uplifting news for me. :)

Based on this, I shot an email to Allied High Tech products which also makes the same product. They got their local rep in Singapore Agent to deliver samples and the US guy suggested that I tried their GLYCOL oil based adn not water based solution as leather and water does not gel at all.. either it gets mouldy or when it dries up.. contracts! I supposed if sprayed enough , whatever is used as a carrier once it reaches the glue... chemistry goes into action and possibly unglues the leather from the base (?)

I am surprised by the sharpness! my test knife.. is a silent cutter on paper..

ONly thing is that the solution is grey in color adn will wait for my new strop comes in 2 weeks time adn that teh current strop that i am using is 25 years old and had been loaded with other compounds. Will see how it changes the color of the leather...

Now I am using it as a polish on my watch strap and knives ! man I am not disappointed at all

rgds

david

Dave Martell
01-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Hi David,
Thanks for this information, I will keep it in mind for future testing, however the Dupont diamond we use isn't available in the oil solution. :(

Thanks again though,
Dave