PDA

View Full Version : Who's in Your Family?

mr drinky
10-18-2011, 02:54 PM
Over a year ago, someone said something in a forum that resonated with me about supporting custom knife makers, and since then I have exclusively bought from custom makers.

And when I talked with Devin a while back he mentioned how hard it was to compete in terms of price with the Japanese makers -- I mean, come on, a Konosuke HD 240 wa gyuoto is $206!!

I know not everyone can dish out the cash during these lean times, and I still would love to try out a lot of knives, but for now I can and prefer dealing with the makers involved in the knife forums.

Here is my knife family so far.

* Pierre x3 (smaller knives)
* Ealy (gyuto on the way)
* Fowler (just purchased two gyutos)
* Devin (one mid-tech, one custom, and one suji on the way)
* Marko (suji on the way)
* Martell (240 gyuto)
* Adam Marr (honesuki on the way)
* Pendray (hunter)

None of them have been adopted, but I still need a Rader, Harner, and Burke (among others).

k.

Edit: Correction, I have bought a yanagiba from Jon and have my eye on one other knife. Other than that it is all custom makers.

kalaeb
10-18-2011, 03:14 PM
I have been trying to support the members here as well, to date:

Pierre (paring)
Broadwell (gyuto)
Thomas (2 gyutos)
John Jones (cleaver)
Jbroida (gesshin stones)
Marko (Yoshikane Suji w/custom handle and hopefully gyuto next year)
Martel (Handle and when he starts the butcher collection, (hint, hint))

It is my hope to work with all the makers here, but it may take a few years.

DwarvenChef
10-18-2011, 03:34 PM
Ditto on taking a few years, however a few years ago things where better :p

Harner x6
Stephan handles x2 (Dave Installed)
Jbroida X1 (on the way)

As this get better I'll add to the list. However I'm a picky bugger on my style of knives and some makers do not off these interests. But we shall try :)

oivind_dahle
10-18-2011, 03:44 PM
BB: 3
MC: 1
DT: 3
PR: 3
AMT: 8

99Limited
10-18-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm pretty new to J-knives but it didn't take me long to see the value in buying from custom makers.

Carter - x1
DT - x2
HHH - x1
Ealy - x1
Rader - x2(waiting)
Marko - x1(waiting)
Jon Broida Gesshin stones x2
Keller - 1 handle(I wish I could acquire more)
Martell - Hiromoto re-handle x2(waiting)

I can't wait to see what 2012 will bring, but 2011 has worked out pretty well for someone starting from scratch.

mr drinky
10-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Seriously Oivind, AMT 8?? Bravo.

And I also forgot my Murray Carter.

k.

Cadillac J
10-18-2011, 04:13 PM
None in my family unfortunately.

I definitely respect the custom makers and admire their work greatly. But as much as I love knives, I still mainly view them as tools and the $300ish-mark has been my limit for a single piece. I've owned a mid-tech and used someones custom before...neither felt as natural or cut as well as my thin knives that I know and love.

If there was a significant performance gap, then I'm sure all mine would be customs.

For what it's worth though, I've been supporting JKI since the minute it opened.

oivind_dahle
10-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Seriously Oivind, AMT 8?? Bravo.

AMT gives by far most bang for the bucks. His knives will outperform most makers, and I guess only BB and DT is ahead of this one next year.
MC got a great blade, but the handles and finish sucks and Im not sure about the HT either. This 3 elements will put him behind AMT next year :)

Edit:
All my future buys will be from AMT. I will probably end up with far more than 8 from him...

Eamon Burke
10-18-2011, 07:29 PM
AMT gives by far most bang for the bucks. His knives will outperform most makers, and I guess only BB and DT is ahead of this one next year.
MC got a great blade, but the handles and finish sucks and Im not sure about the HT either. This 3 elements will put him behind AMT next year :)

Edit:
All my future buys will be from AMT. I will probably end up with far more than 8 from him...

Wait who is AMT? Marko? Adam?

sachem allison
10-18-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm all about keeping it in the family. So I had to adopt a few to put them there.

Randy - 4 Damascus Dragon slayer set. 1 gyuto, 1 slicer, 2 paring knives
Spike- 1 pettysuki from hell
Will-1 Petty jewel
Del- waiting on 1 gyuto and 1 petty
Randy again- 1-Something special
Colin- 3 Bill the Butcher belts for my kitchen staff.

apicius9
10-18-2011, 07:52 PM
I was just wondering what a custom knife is - is the DT mid-tech one? Or a standard Takeda? Or is it more about buying from small makers, or the ones who are active here? In any case, I decided that I pretty much had what I wanted in knives - and ran out of money - before this forum started and all these great craftsmen came together here. I probably could have bought a few board feet of wood less and could have gotten a few knives instead, and I am definitely curious about many of them, but I seem to have lost that last bit of drive that used to push me into unreasonable actions :laugh:

That said, what might count:

7 Carters (down from 10)
1 Takeda with Fish handle
2 Harners
1 Moritaka (made to my specs)

Looks like I should diversify more in the future. But I do have a few Keller handles :wink: and otherwise customized knives, like a Hiro AS with a Fish handle or a Blazen and a Guede bread knife with koa handles. Handles were made by Adam, Butch, and O'Malley.

Stefan

RRLOVER
10-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Does it count if you custom make them for yourself:help4:

oivind_dahle
10-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Wait who is AMT? Marko? Adam?

Marko.

Burl Source
10-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Ok, I'm a dummy, what is a fish handle?

I have come customs on the way.
Gyuto from Mike Davis
Gyuto from Pierre
Surprise me from Butch Harner
Surprise me from Delbert Ealy

apicius9
10-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Ok, I'm a dummy, what is a fish handle?

Here ya go, Mark:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?669-Fish-n-Poi-The-Original-Rehandle-King&highlight=fish

Fish'n poi is a popular Hawaiian song. There are actually 2 songs with that title, here is the one we hear in the radio every day. I have adopted it as my personal hymn :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGpteUCfJJQ

Here is the other one that is also great. Especially since my wood shop is in Iwalei in an old pineapple cannery :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki_CFXrRUjQ

Stefan

Salty dog
10-18-2011, 09:57 PM
When they step up to the plate I'll buy more.

Too much sizzle.

Marko Tsourkan
10-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Marko.

Oivind,
You are very generous with your praise and your unyielding support, but sometimes too much excitement can be unproductive and create unnecessary pressure and unrealistic expectations.

Please hold your praise (or criticism) of my knives at least until after the passarounds or after I deliver your knives.

M

Larrin
10-18-2011, 10:16 PM
So far I've only taken money from a custom knifemaker.

Mike Davis
10-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Man i am a slacker...Just 2 of mine and one Ealy gyuto....Need to expand my horizons....Just broke.

Marko Tsourkan
10-18-2011, 10:20 PM

Didn't you get a fancy knife as your wedding gift? :)

Salty dog
10-18-2011, 10:21 PM

My favorite knife was made by some nameless faceless dudes in Japan. Why? Because that's the way they make em.

add
10-18-2011, 10:29 PM

Edit:

Not to hijack but...

Genuinely curious, what makes you suspect of Carter's heat treat?
Was it a single knife or multiples?

What characteristics did it (they) have that led you to believe this?

Thanks Oivind!

oivind_dahle
10-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Well, Im satisfied with my Carter, but based on what Ive read from others I have jumped to the conclusion that his HT varies a lot from knife to knife. However Carted is a man of word and fixed one forum members knife big time. I might be wrong about his HT. Just speculations from my side. Sorry if it came out wrong.

I am one of those that love Carter.

EdipisReks
10-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Well, Im satisfied with my Carter, but based on what Ive read from others I have jumped to the conclusion that his HT varies a lot from knife to knife. However Carted is a man of word and fixed one forum members knife big time. I might be wrong about his HT. Just speculations from my side. Sorry if it came out wrong.

so a bunch of BS. got it.

cnochef
10-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Devin Thomas-1 western damascus AEB-L parer, 1 wa AEB-L petty, 1 western 240 AEB-L gyuto
Lloyd Harner-1 CPM 154 parer
Dave Martell-1 western 300mm 01 sujihiki, 1 rehandled Hiromoto AS 300mm sujihiki, 1 rehandled Hiromoto AS 240mm gyuto
Delbert Ealy-1 western 240mm AEB-L gyuto to come

sachem allison
10-18-2011, 11:04 PM
so a bunch of BS. got it.

deep breaths

EdipisReks
10-18-2011, 11:08 PM
deep breaths

oh, come on, that's a bunch of bullsh*t. see "jumped to the conclusion."

add
10-19-2011, 12:53 AM
IMHO, a maker's knife is

Heat treat
Geometry
Steel choice and ergos (perhaps tied as distant thirds, followed by f/f, etc)

So it does catch the eye when it gets brought up... btw, to anyone domestic who may be currently outsourcing to Bos, please feel free to pm. :angel2:

sachem allison
10-19-2011, 01:44 AM
oh, come on, that's a bunch of bullsh*t. see "jumped to the conclusion."

I know, not defending at all. It was a joke.:juggle:

DwarvenChef
10-19-2011, 03:46 AM
One thing I enjoy about custom makers is that their knives are generally "one of a kind" as they makee them by hand and do their best to keep function and quality high. I EXPECT flaws vs a machine made knife because each piece of steel is different, each hammerblow is different. So short of a maker trying to short me out by sending an obviously screwed up knife, I'm happy with the knife. If it's not the same as the very next knife made, I'm ok with it and enjoy the difference. Maybe thats why I don't look at production knives anymore, no variation, boring.

I wrote a whole lot more but decided it was a waste of yours and my time...

Larrin
10-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Didn't you get a fancy knife as your wedding gift? :)

The original post referenced supporting custom knifemakers. I was telling a joke about raising children being expensive.

Larrin
10-19-2011, 11:29 AM
My favorite knife was made by some nameless faceless dudes in Japan. Why? Because that's the way they make em.
Did you mean to quote me when you said that?

Peco
10-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Well here's my list:

:D

Craig
10-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Do any Japanese makers count as "custom"?

I'm not a huge collector of knives. I've only got 5 that I ever use, one of which is a bread knife (which doesn't count.) Of them, the Nakiri is a luxury. I'm pretty happy with my Takeda Nakiri and Watanabe Petty too, so I doubt I replace them with customs any time soon.

To date, all I've got is a Shigefusa Gyuto that Marko put a handle on.

I'm on the list for a Marko and a Rader. Beyond that I'd really like to get my hands on a Burke or a DT. Or a Kramer, if I strike it rich some day.

I've tried to buy a DT straight razor in the past, but missed out because I dithered. Please make more razors Devin. Pretty please?

Iceman91
10-19-2011, 01:35 PM
I currently have an Ealy petty and a carter gyuto as far as customs. I have also owned a Rader but it was his semi-custom line. I am all about supporting the custom knifemakers, my ealy and carter are probably my favorite knives. The problem for me isn't the money, its the wait. I would love to get my hands on a Pierre Rodrigue and a full custom Rader, but when i want a knife, i want a knife. When i get the itch to buy a new one its a bummer to hear that you cant see it or get your hands on it for 8 months plus. I am not saying that they aren't worth the wait, i just don't like to. When i told Del Ealy what i wanted, i think i had it in a week or so.

Mike

NO ChoP!
10-19-2011, 02:11 PM
I still have a list of reputable Japanese makers I must try.... maybe someday.

mhenry
10-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Harner, Carter

Peco
10-19-2011, 03:47 PM
When i told Del Ealy what i wanted, i think i had it in a week or so.

Awesome service. I guess waiting is a huge part of the game when ordering custom.

Lefty
10-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Rodrigue, with more coming
Carter x 2
Does a WC count? Hahaha

ecchef
10-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Nothing spectacular, mostly just a bunch of worker bees w/custom handles.

Masahiro/Fish
Carter/Keller
Moritaka/Keller x2
Takeda/Keller x2
Watanabe/Keller
Unknown/Keller
Yoshikane/Keller
Korin/Keller
Masamoto/Marr
Unknown/Marr
Sabatier/Martell
Glestain/Martell
Kanemasa/Martell
Harner
Martell (WIP)
Thomas

I only listed the ones with "family" ties.

apicius9
10-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Dave, if I had kids, you would pay their way through college ;) I hadn't even realized how many of my wood pieces you had collected. Thanks! We clearly need a picture gallery :)

Stefan

Lefty
10-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Ecchef, I want to see a pic of that Sab!

EdipisReks
10-19-2011, 07:57 PM
oh, oh! i have two knives with Keller handles, so i get to play too. :)

ecchef
10-20-2011, 05:52 AM
Dave, if I had kids, you would pay their way through college ;) I hadn't even realized how many of my wood pieces you had collected. Thanks! We clearly need a picture gallery :)

Stefan

Nah..I only buy the cheap ones! :wink:

I was kinda shocked myself when I started counting. :D

ecchef
10-20-2011, 05:56 AM
Ecchef, I want to see a pic of that Sab!

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?150-Western-Re-Handle-Gallery/page2

Green Lacewood(?) handle.

It's ridiculously comfortable, and the photos don't do any justice to the craftsmanship.

mattrud
10-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Kramer-1
Carter-2
Rader-1
marko- 1 on order
pierre- 1 on order
Burke- 1 on order
takeda- 2
fish handles- 3
takeda- 2
shigefusa- 1
gil cote- 1
haslinger-1
devin-1 + 1 on order
broadwell- 1 on order

DwarvenChef
10-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Didn't even think to add my Carter or others :p

Carter 1
Watanabe 2
Takeda 1
Konusuki 1
Kochi 1 :)
Butch 6
Stephan handles 2

Can already tell I need another knife but I'll wait till I get a bit more caught up. Lucky for us we have very few bills and never went under, just skipping the surface for a couple years.

kalaeb
10-20-2011, 04:43 PM
Kramer-1
Carter-2
Rader-1
marko- 1 on order
pierre- 1 on order
Burke- 1 on order
takeda- 2
fish handles- 3
takeda- 2
shigefusa- 1
gil cote- 1
haslinger-1
devin-1 + 1 on order
broadwell- 1 on order

Dang Matt, those are some nice knives on deck. You are going to be having a nice year.

mattrud
10-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Dang Matt, those are some nice knives on deck. You are going to be having a nice year.

yea I am pretty excited

forgot to add
fowler-1
heiji- 1

Josh
10-20-2011, 09:02 PM
3 Carter
2 Watanabe
2 Devin + in line for 1
In line for 1 Pierre
In line for 1 of Dave Martel
Shig + Stefan handle is in there somewhere
1 of Jons

As many have already said, over the next few years, when $$ gets better, I hope to get 1 of all!!

ecchef
10-22-2011, 10:34 AM

Stefan

Here ya' go...:)

apicius9
10-23-2011, 07:06 AM
Cool, thanks, Dave. Some old familiar faces ;) I hope they are all holding up well. Man, that license plate sure makes the blue handle look small...

BTW, in my own family list I forgot my 5 Watanabes, that shouldn't have happened. I really like Shinichi's knives, have yet to be disappointed.

Stefan

WildBoar
10-23-2011, 11:42 PM
Pierre - paring, petty and suji
Devin - petty, gyuto (both ITK)
Fowler - gyuto on order

Couple Hiromoto gyutos w/ Dave Martell handles

DT spoon and Del fish tweezers

EdipisReks
10-23-2011, 11:48 PM
i do believe a Murray suji is heading my way soon, so there we go. yay!

jm2hill
10-24-2011, 12:13 AM
Some of these be on order:

Forums:

Dave Gyuto
Hiromoto rehandle - Dave
Del Gyuto
Gesshin Ino SB Wa-Petty
Butch Laser Petty

Other:

Tojiro's
Sakai-Ichimonji Yanagi
Masahiro Mishirobi deba

ecchef
10-24-2011, 04:02 AM
Yeah...it's a beast. Only comes out on special occasions. I'm saving it for Ryan. :D