PDA

View Full Version : OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!

HHH Knives
10-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Hey all you knife knuts!!! Were about to embark on a great adventure here at HHH Knives. And I want to bring you guys along with us..
OK so heres what Im thinking! :scratchhead::idea2:
Soon, I will start a new WIP of a awesome new project. Were going to be forging some Meteorite damascus! Yep that is the "out of this world" reference. I just received a 4 lb. piece of Meteorite and with a little luck at the end of the process we will have a couple of extra amazing and beautiful billets of SPACE STEEL!

This is something Jr and I have not tried yet. But thats the awesome part of this great adventure I call knife making. Trying new stuff and working with new materials. As well as meeting new friends and learning new tricks, and sharing in each others successes as well as our set backs and straight up flops!

If you have read this all the way to here, Please post something to let me know you would be interested in seeing a new "OUT OF THIS WORLD" Work In Progress

Thanks and God Bless YA!
Randy, HHH Knives

macmiddlebrooks
10-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Oh yes please and thank you.

obtuse
10-20-2011, 06:49 PM
I'd love to see it!

SpikeC
10-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Rock on Randy!

The hekler
10-20-2011, 06:53 PM
I would love to see it and hear more about it do you have a picture of the meteorite as is? It'd be cool to follow it from big rock to iron to Damascus billet to hopefully knife.

HHH Knives
10-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Im glad to see there's some interest in this. Im super stoked about this.. But Im easily excited! :EDance2: lol

Theres a really amazing and cool story as to how I came across the piece of Meteorite.. But Ill just say this..... God is GOOD! and it never ceases to amaze me how he orchestrates stuff! :D

As far as when the WIP will start.. Its gona be a week or so, Randy Jr. is finishing up a order. Then barring any unforeseen stuff. We will start the process to forge this space rock into something resembling a bar of steel.. :cool2: Then turn that into a billet of damascus! And followed up by making it into a sweet kitchen cutter!

Also wanted to add a Thanks you to Mr. Delbert, who took a few minutes of his busy day to talk to Jr about the forging process giving us a little better chance of this working out.. right out of the gate. Thanks Del!!

This is gona be a AMAZING, AWESOME, and PHENOMENAL experience for us, and a learning one at that.. Thanks again for posting.

Ill start a NEW WIP thread ASAP. :thumbsup:
Randy

Rottman
10-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Hope your meteorite doesn't come from Sulfuria....

HHH Knives
10-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Rottman, Its a Campo :D

Heres a short Vid of the first slice coming off the meteorite.. whole pieces was over 50 lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_z2L5rlc8k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgbChbJzTQQ

echerub
10-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Wow! This certainly is different :)

HHH Knives
10-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Len, Yes indeed! Its a new and awesome adventure! I can hardly wait to see what Jr comes up with from this stuff!! Tomorrow, I will take a photo of the slice I have.. and get a pic or 3 posted. :)

Burl Source
10-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Hopefully you will be able to use some unforged pieces for bolsters.
Many of the iron meteorites have cool patterns when etched that would be messed up by heat treating.

Delbert ground a dagger blade for me from a gibeon meteorite slice.
After the knife was completed I messed up the etching so I need to re-etch the blade.

Meteorite is cool stuff. Magical powers too.
Supposed to protect you from werewolves and such.
Since I have had mine I haven't seen a single monster so it must be working.

tk59
10-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Cool thread. :thumbsup:

Eamon Burke
10-20-2011, 11:28 PM
Sweet!

Randy Jr
10-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Today should be the last day of forging for my other order, so soon we will be able to start working this meteorite!
This is gonna be so cool :tooth:

WillC
10-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Wow that a serious piece of space rock!:bigeek:
I've seen pictures of this stuff pattern welded with pure iron or "butter". It looked stunning, but he had etched it with something a bit different. I'd have to look up what.
What are you doing for carbon?

Delbert Ealy
10-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Im glad to see there's some interest in this. Im super stoked about this.. But Im easily excited! :EDance2: lol

Theres a really amazing and cool story as to how I came across the piece of Meteorite.. But Ill just say this..... God is GOOD! and it never ceases to amaze me how he orchestrates stuff! :D

As far as when the WIP will start.. Its gona be a week or so, Randy Jr. is finishing up a order. Then barring any unforeseen stuff. We will start the process to forge this space rock into something resembling a bar of steel.. :cool2: Then turn that into a billet of damascus! And followed up by making it into a sweet kitchen cutter!

Also wanted to add a Thanks you to Mr. Delbert, who took a few minutes of his busy day to talk to Jr about the forging process giving us a little better chance of this working out.. right out of the gate. Thanks Del!!

This is gona be a AMAZING, AWESOME, and PHENOMENAL experience for us, and a learning one at that.. Thanks again for posting.

Ill start a NEW WIP thread ASAP. :thumbsup:
Randy

Randy,
You are welcome for the information, however anyone that knows me knows that it is not possible fo me to have a conversation that lasts only a few minutes.
Del

I think That Randy Jr will do fine, but it will be his greaest challenge to date, and I promise that grinding on this will be more of a challenge for you than you have ever done. Be prepared to be patient.

Randy Jr
10-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Raisedbybrocks- We are using 1095 in the mix for carbon
Del- thanks again for spending the time sharing your knowledge with me, its much appreciated. And is sure to happen again:D

Eaglewood
10-21-2011, 06:33 PM
With the combination of Dels information and the talent of the 2 Randys this will be epic!

HHH Knives
10-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Randy,
You are welcome for the information, however anyone that knows me knows that it is not possible fo me to have a conversation that lasts only a few minutes.
Del

Delbert, Talking with you is always a pleasure. I can hardly wait to meet you in person and get the opportunity to shake your hand and thank you in person..

I snapped a few pics of the slab of meteorite that were working with. It dont look like much now. But if everything goes to plan (which it seldom does lol) This slab of space rock is gona be one heck of a beautiful piece of damascus!!

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2093&d=1319246233

SpikeC
10-21-2011, 09:29 PM
How hard is that stuff on the saw blades?

HHH Knives
10-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Spike, Lets just say HARD!!! Eaglewood said it took some trial and time to figure out how and what blade would cut this stuff!! Basically he said its 1 blade per slice.. :bashhead: That was after tearing up a few blades figuring out the proper blade to use, and speed and feed rate etc.

Maybe he will add t this if I miss understood or posted it wrong.

Eaglewood
10-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Diamond blade. Nope
Carbide impregnated blade. Nope
Water jet. Nope
Back to bimetal blades and so far its one blade per slice.

Have spent over $300 in blades so far and only have 2 slices.

Got a friend working on it with an industrial bandsaw that cuts thru large stock. We willfind out next week how it went.
Saving all the shavings as well.

Let me know if anyone else wants a slice or shavings. Im all about trades.

echerub
10-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Wooosh... this is definitely hard material....

HHH Knives
10-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Yep, Its not machine friendly. :) But I am still excited to have the opportunity to work with this material.

Eaglewood, thanks for the input and I sure hope the new slices work out for ya!! I would also love to get some of the shavings at some point to add to a can of mosaic damascus!! :nunchucks::pirate1::viking:

Eaglewood
10-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Randy
Ask and you shall be given. Ill let you know when I have the shavings.

HHH Knives
10-22-2011, 08:14 PM
:happy1:WOO HOO!!!! Awesome! :thanx::EDance2:

SpikeC
10-22-2011, 09:13 PM
I find it interesting how similar the meteorite is to a burl.

HHH Knives
10-23-2011, 03:47 PM
:) I can see what ya mean.

We should be starting the forging process tomorrow!

HHH Knives
10-24-2011, 03:03 PM
WOOHOO!!!

:pirate3: Jr is forging the meteorite!!! :muahaha: Im taking pics! and lots of them and should be able to start a WIP thread tonight!!!:woot:

Andrew H
10-24-2011, 05:22 PM
Yes!

Eamon Burke
10-24-2011, 06:10 PM
=Im taking pics! and lots of them and should be able to start a WIP thread tonight!!!:woot:

I'll hold you to that, Mr. Haas. I need to see this!

Customfan
10-25-2011, 12:56 PM
:happymug:Thanks for sharing Randy.... This project is very interesting...

Can't wait to see how this turns out! Do you have the composition of the meteorite.. or where it might have come from? It must be Ferric but apparently there can be slight variations.

They mostly consist of nickel-iron alloys (Meteoric iron) most likely to survive as large pieces the atmospheric entry. Apparently they are linked to M-type asteroids.. but they do vary slightly in composition.

I was doing some searching and found this meteorite classification:

Iron - Primary iron and nickel
Stony Iron - Mixtures of iron and stony material
Chondrite - Crust and mantle material of terrestrial planets
Carbonaceous Chondrite - Very similar in composition to the sun les volatiles
Achondrite - Similar to terrestrial basalts

HHH Knives
10-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Customfan, Heres a link to the WIP thread. In the header I have all the info on the composition of the piece we have. :)

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?3342-OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD!!!!-W.I.P.

HHH Knives
01-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Was able to start on this project again and have updated the WIP thread.

Heres a link, Grab a cup of coffee and check it out!!

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/3342-OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD-W-I-P