PDA

View Full Version : Fowler passaround Spoiler

SpikeC
10-31-2011, 04:29 PM
Remember this? I just sent the Fowler Wrought Iron san mai on to WildBoar. My thoughts on the knife will be along shortly!

UglyJoe
10-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Looking forward to it!

Eamon Burke
10-31-2011, 05:54 PM
I've been meaning to write mine too, but where did mr. fowler go? he kind of fell off the earth.

Lefty
10-31-2011, 07:02 PM
I've wondered the same, but he pops up from time to time, and I've seen pics of his newer knives. I was always o the fence about his stuff before, but the new ones make me want to give one a go-around.

Pensacola Tiger
10-31-2011, 07:49 PM
He's alive and well, and just put this jewel in the mail:

http://fowlerblades.com/wp-content/gallery/chefknives/pentiger.jpg

mr drinky
10-31-2011, 08:09 PM
Nice pick up Rick. I bought two of his recently (on the way), but that one is a beauty.

k.

Pensacola Tiger
10-31-2011, 08:12 PM
Nice pick up Rick. I bought two of his recently (on the way), but that one is a beauty.

k.

Thanks, K. Did you get one of his gyutos?

mr drinky
10-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Yeah, a 240 and I also got that petit gyuto that was advertised on the other forums and he is making a sheath for it. I think I am going to use that as my travel knife.

k.

Andrew H
10-31-2011, 08:29 PM
I have one of his 240 gyutos with a convex grind. After a little tlc (slight profile adjustment to pick up the nose a bit, and some sandpaper on the spine), it is a knife worth far more than what he was charging when I last checked.
His W2 is pretty amazing.

RRLOVER
10-31-2011, 09:04 PM
I have one of his 240 gyutos with a convex grind. After a little tlc (slight profile adjustment to pick up the nose a bit, and some sandpaper on the spine), it is a knife worth far more than what he was charging when I last checked.
His W2 is pretty amazing.

975$ for a 270 dammy gyuto does not seem under priced to me.

SpikeC
10-31-2011, 09:32 PM
The gall of that guy!!

Andrew H
10-31-2011, 09:47 PM
975$ for a 270 dammy gyuto does not seem under priced to me.

Maybe, but I wasn't talking about damascus.

thistle
11-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Well, I've been away from the forum for awhile, but I was just contacted by Wildboar for the Fowler pass around, which I joined ages ago. First off, thanks to Wildboar, for contacting me, & to Niloc, for letting me jump him in the line (I live in Alexandria, VA & it makes sense to pass it on to me, instead of sending it up to NY).

I'm so happy I got this right before Thanksgiving, while I'm still unsure of my sharpening skills, I don't mind testing it for prep. This year for T'giving, I'm smoking 2 12 lb. Turkeys on my WSM, making pickled shrimp, bean dip, spinach-Parmesan side dish, & maybe, roasted cauliflower w/pomegranate seeds & yogurt cheese. How's everyone else's T'giving prep going? Once I run this lovely knife through it's paces, I'll mail it on to the next person. Thank you again to Mr.Fowler for letting us use his knife, & give our feedback...Thistle/Linda

Eamon Burke
11-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Sounds delicious! I just got delegated to doing stuffed mushrooms and rolls for a friends get together. that may not be enough for me....

StephanFowler
11-22-2011, 12:17 PM
I hope Thanksgiving goes well for you Linda

RobinW
11-22-2011, 08:24 PM
I just sharpened a 260 gyuto from Stephan and his W2 is some of the best i've ever sharpened. It took a killer edge and released the burr faster than anything i've had before.
Looking forward when it is my turn to use the knife...

WildBoar
11-22-2011, 10:19 PM
I need to get my comments and some pics up for the pass-around knife. Should be able to over the long weekend. It was a knife with personality!

thistle
11-25-2011, 06:38 PM
My T'giving was great, I'm still walking around in a food coma. I think my smoked turkeys were a little under, so I sliced off the breasts (which were done), & hacked up the carcasses for stocks- have 3 different ones going in crockpots. 1 will be a turkey pho, for my daughter, who LOVES pho ga-she only eats the noodles & meat, I like the bean sprouts, broth, & Thai basil (I can take or leave the noodles). I have lots of family coming over tomorrow, so I will use the knife for prep, for whatever I come up with-hope everyone is having a peaceful holiday weekend...