PDA

View Full Version : High polish stickiness

TamanegiKin
11-14-2011, 05:41 PM
I was slicing apples for pie today with my KS.
I hadn't used this knife for a month or two since I polished it using micromesh pads. I liked the honyaki knock off look. If only I could fake a hamon hmm.... Anyway, as I cut into the first Apple I noticed how sticky my knife became, I started recording with my phone. It didn't bug me on the right side but on the inside(left side) It's a nuisance. I think I'm going to sand it back down to a lower grit tomorrow. Anyone else have a similar experience after polishing a knife, or is it more of a technique issue?

Can't embedd the video from my phone but here's the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_sv53CefvQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

JohnnyChance
11-14-2011, 05:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=8_sv53CefvQ

Good tunes. I don't polish any of my knives, so I am of no help to you there.

stevenStefano
11-14-2011, 06:02 PM
I think this is a pretty common problem with highly polished knives. I've read loads of times of people spending hours to get a mirror polish then going back to sandpaper as soon as they use the knife because everything sticks to it so bad.

Peco
11-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Still look like an awesome knife :D

TamanegiKin
11-14-2011, 06:37 PM
@Johnny, thanks and thanks for fixing the link :beer:

@Steven, yea I thought the feelings were mixed on the high polish, some don't seem to have issues with it while others do. I had to give it a go but it looks like I fall into the latter category.

@Peco, thanks!

Sarge
11-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Could also be a technique thing I'd try cutting more with the tip area or front 1/3 of the knife and see if that helps. I'll bet a combination of both technique and slightly rougher finish makes a difference for sure.

Can't offer much more than that since I haven't polished a whole blade in awhile and the last one I did (cheap Stainless cleaver) I didn't have stickiness issues with.

Salty dog
11-14-2011, 09:18 PM
I think this is a pretty common problem with highly polished knives. I've read loads of times of people spending hours to get a mirror polish then going back to sandpaper as soon as they use the knife because everything sticks to it so bad.

They are wrong. It's about technique.

shankster
11-14-2011, 09:50 PM
"They are wrong. It's about technique. "

I thought it was all about the "grind"....

stevenStefano
11-14-2011, 10:46 PM
They are wrong. It's about technique.

My own knives are scratched to hell from thinning, but I have read many times of people spending hours polishing knives to then go back to 2000 grit paper. Care to elaborate, I haven't heard of a way round this before.

tk59
11-14-2011, 11:02 PM
"They are wrong. It's about technique. "

I thought it was all about the "grind".... It's about both. A couple of my knives are basically mirror polished but they rarely have sticking issues due to the grind. I do find that if I use a little pressure to keep an asymmetric blade from steering, food will release much more easily. If I allow the steering to control the blade, I have more sticking.

Eamon Burke
11-14-2011, 11:47 PM
I don't like a polished face. It shows every little scratch, sticks, and doesn't provide for that cool edge-bevel contrast.

RRLOVER
11-15-2011, 07:31 AM
It is about velocity and speed.At the pace you were moving that knife could have been finished with 80 grit and thinly sliced apples are going to stick.

ecchef
11-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Nice knife, nice ink, nice vid.....music :no:

I'd agree with some of the other guys here, a little technique mod may be in order.

tk...interesting observation about the steering/sticking correlation. I'll have to experiment with that.