PDA

View Full Version : Bent tip on a Mac petty

bjg
11-22-2011, 11:27 AM
My sister in law sent in her Mac knives to be sharpened. The one petty has a bent tip, maybe half an inch bend about an inch down the blade. I tried bending it back with some success. It still has a little to go but I'm worried about snapping the knife in half or bending it the other way.

NO ChoP!
11-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Half inch bend, an inch up the tip? Yah, your concerns are legit.

May I inquire where she sent them to be sharpened?

bjg
11-23-2011, 11:48 AM
I wasn't clear on that. I sharpen them for her. My brother brought them to me to sharpen. The petty already had the bend in it. I'm in Chicago and I do sharpen others knives as well.

And my concerns were fulfilled. I got most of the bend out. I used a towel to protect my hand and used a thick pad of paper as the surface to push against. Then I put it in a towel and into a vise to try to get the last of it out. Then it snapped about a quarter inch off the blade. I sharpened it and it's actually in much better shape than when I got it. Minus the tip.

unkajonet
11-23-2011, 11:49 AM
I gotta ask: how did she bend the tip?

bjg
11-23-2011, 12:39 PM
No one knows.

euphorbioid
11-23-2011, 03:35 PM
All of my small Globals have bent tips from our cleaning lady trying to pry stuff out of cracks in various places. Once I started buying handmade knives this practice came to a screaming halt.