PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Shears Recommendation

Johnny.B.Good
11-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Any strong feelings about the "best" stainless steel kitchen shears on the market? I would like a sturdy/handsome pair that comes apart easily for sharpening, and am not worried about cost.

Tojiro? Wusthof?

Thanks!

-Johnny

apicius9
11-23-2011, 11:56 PM
I keep losing the link, but Dave recommends Shuns IIRC. Maybe we can talk him into ordering a few and sending them out to us sharpened...:begging:

Stefan

Johnny.B.Good
11-24-2011, 12:07 AM
I just read up on the Shun shears on Amazon; pretty enthusiastic/favorable reviews. I sort of like the "all stainless" appearance of the Tojiro/Wusthof options, but I suppose it shouldn't be a beauty contest (especially since they will live in a drawer and not on a Mag-Blok for all the world to see).

EdipisReks
11-24-2011, 12:21 AM
tojiro

Dave Martell
11-24-2011, 01:09 AM
I keep losing the link, but Dave recommends Shuns IIRC. Maybe we can talk him into ordering a few and sending them out to us sharpened...:begging:

Stefan

Not Shun...KAI.....but not for kitchen shears necessarily though, they don't seem to offer break apart all steel options. They make some great shears for the money for almost all other applications.

Johnny.B.Good
11-24-2011, 02:01 AM
Not Shun...KAI.....but not for kitchen shears necessarily though, they don't seem to offer break apart all steel options. They make some great shears for the money for almost all other applications.

Bookmarked the KAI site, thanks Dave. I suppose I could use a regular pair of scissors too! Still torn between the Tojiro and Wusthof's however...

ThEoRy
11-24-2011, 02:02 AM
I have the Tojiro fully stainless take apart shears. Love em.

Johnny.B.Good
11-24-2011, 02:23 AM
I have the Tojiro fully stainless take apart shears. Love em.

That's two votes for Tojiro; one more and I'm sold! Just thought the fit/finish and/or durability of the Wusthof's might be better (based on...nothing really).

SpikeC
11-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Maybe a group buy with rehandling by Dave?

Hattorichop
11-24-2011, 03:51 PM
I have this pair of fiskars kitchen shears.
http://www2.fiskars.com/var/fiskars_amer/storage/images/frontpage/products/hardware/hardware-scissors/take-apart-shears/17600-3-eng-US/Take-Apart-Shears_product_main_large.png

ThEoRy
11-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Maybe a group buy with rehandling by Dave?

There's nothing to rehandle, they're fully stainless all the way through. lol

SpikeC
11-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Where there's a will there's a way!
Grind the handles down to a couple of mm thick and attatch scales!

Dave Martell
11-25-2011, 02:23 PM
LOL Spike :D

swarfrat
11-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Where there's a will there's a way!
Grind the handles down to a couple of mm thick and attatch scales!
Not wa handles?

SpikeC
11-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Dave don't do Wa.

SpikeC
11-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Dum didy do..........

Johnny.B.Good
11-25-2011, 05:18 PM
I guess I will order a pair of the Tojiro shears then. And start browsing Burl Source for some exhibition grade Ironwood in case Dave decides to cooperate. ;)

jcsiii
11-27-2011, 05:53 PM
I personally like Joyce Chen scissors. Yeah they don't come appart but they are the perfect size for snipping microgreens and have the durability to cut through lobster and dungenous crab shell. They also come with lifetime warranties and the turn around is typically 2 weeks through the manufacturer. Best part is they fit perfectly in my back pocket for easy access.

Messermeister just came out with their own version recently that I might try too. $7 each and lifetime warranties.

Johnny.B.Good
11-27-2011, 06:09 PM
I personally like Joyce Chen scissors.

These look nice, but I want something I can take apart to clean/sharpen. I do like the size/handle shape though...

SpikeC
11-27-2011, 06:50 PM
A lot of jewelers use the Chen scissors for solder snips. That implies a bit of durability and sharpness.

Johnny.B.Good
11-28-2011, 02:10 AM
A lot of jewelers use the Chen scissors for solder snips. That implies a bit of durability and sharpness.

Price is right. Could pick up four or five pairs for the price of the Tojiros.

Chef Niloc
11-28-2011, 02:42 AM
Just to see if he reads this:
Bill you owe me a set (:

Johnny.B.Good
01-17-2012, 02:11 AM
I picked up the Tojiro shears last week. Haven't had a chance to use them yet, but they look/feel good. Thanks for the advice everyone.

jgraeff
01-17-2012, 11:50 PM
Tojiro stainless are the best in my opinion, they come apart easy as well for sanitation purposes. Quite sharp as well.

mr drinky
01-18-2012, 12:11 AM
No one mentioned the Messermeister break-apart shears. Dave just sharpened mine and they got top marks from Cook's Illustrated -- the same people that rate knives really high that we don't like. Just kidding. They do pretty good IMO.

I like my Messermeister but you can also get lobster/crab sheers. They are cheap and (gasp) can go into the dishwasher. For $10 you can buy a set every few years and not worry about the dishwasher.

k.

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-International-GT-3156-Seafood-Scissors/dp/B00112ALA0

slowtyper
02-10-2012, 01:53 AM
Bumping this older thread...

Looking to buy shears also and considering getting something cheaper and "semi disposable" or the tojiros.

Anywhere to buy the tojiro shears besides CKTG?

Johnny.B.Good
02-10-2012, 02:00 AM
I went with the Tojiros, though I think there are some good alternatives mentioned here.

You don't have to buy them from CKTG. I believe the two listed below are the same as those carried by CKTG.

Cutlery and More: http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro-pro/stainless-steel-take-apart-kitchen-shears-p114254

The Japan Woodworker: http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=10.103.845&dept_id=22380

Deckhand
02-10-2012, 02:02 AM
Bumping this older thread...

Looking to buy shears also and considering getting something cheaper and "semi disposable" or the tojiros.

Anywhere to buy the tojiro shears besides CKTG?

Cutleryandmore

swarfrat
02-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Japan Woodworker too. (http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=10.103.845&dept_id=22380)

SpikeC
02-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Harbor Fright has plastic shears with metal blade inserts, all you would need is some damascus blade inserts and you would be all set!

Justin0505
02-10-2012, 05:03 PM
This is the only time that I will utter this name anywhere close to a recommendation, and it hurts to say it.... CUTCO "super shears"

Closer to tin snips that scissors... They will cut anything softer than steel with no damage. They are like the meat cleaver of kitchen shears. They twist apart easily and even the twist pivot is adjustable and comes apart. No seams or gaps on the over-molded high density plastic handles.

I don't know what retail is on these things now, but like everything cutco sells, I'm sure it's too high. That's what ebay is for.

Also, I bet that these are good too:
http://www.cartercutlery.com/japanese-knives/imported-shears-scissors/kitchen-scissors

mr drinky
02-11-2012, 12:09 AM
This is the only time that I will utter this name anywhere close to a recommendation, and it hurts to say it.... CUTCO "super shears"

Justin, when you uttered that phrase in the last post, the cosmic tumblers fell out of place causing a major shifting of the polar axis and the beginning of Armageddon (or as the Israelis say: Har Megiddo).

k.

jm2hill
02-11-2012, 12:39 AM
Justin, when you uttered that phrase in the last post, the cosmic tumblers fell out of place causing a major shifting of the polar axis and the beginning of Armageddon (or as the Israelis say: Har Megiddo).

k.

Mount Megiddo always messing everything up!

apicius9
02-11-2012, 01:18 AM
That Cutco recommendation had also been made years ago by Fish'n'poi over on KF - or was it Joe? Anyway, there seems to be some truth to that, but I never tried them in Person. I asked Dave to get me a pair of Kai (or Shun? Same thing as far as I know) and sharpen them OOTB for me. I expect that those should last me a while.

Stefan