View Full Version : Holly in a handle?

12-06-2011, 08:36 PM
As the holiday season is here I have a question about a wood for use in handles, namely holly, that festive wreath material.
I have some chunks of holly that I acquired from my neighbors back yard a few years ago, and I just started slicing a little of it up. Is there any reason not to use slices of it as spacers in handle construction? It's a lot cheaper than something like horn as it was free.

12-06-2011, 08:40 PM
I don't know enough about it to comment on using it unstabilized. But I did have a little bit stabilized by K&G and it came out with a slightly yellow cast, almost like some mammoth ivory that I have used. So I was also thinking about that as spacers instead of ivory. Try it out and let us know :)

HHH Knives
12-06-2011, 08:40 PM
The stuff I have used is white like ivory and has good tight grain. Makes a nice handle. I rehandled a Ruger with holly handles and engraving etc a few years back. Its holding up really nice! Go for it.. Just make sure its dried well B4 using, so it doesn't move and or shrink.

12-07-2011, 12:04 AM
Holly strips were traditionally used as a "filler" between teak planks on the cabin floors of South Florida custom fishing boats like Rybovich and Merritt, so it is probably a fairly durable wood.

Diamond G
12-20-2011, 02:05 AM
Does Holly Stabilize well? Ive got several blocks, but have been turned off to the discoloration when grinding and buffing, mine has looked "dirty" when finished.

Thanks and God Bless