PDA

View Full Version : Videos....

DwarvenChef
12-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Bugger I was going to order the New video on Nakiri Knives but the shipping pushed this up to the $50 range and I just don't see me getting it for that price.

I really enjoy the videos made by artisans doing their craft and if I could would buy any and all their DVD's linked to anything I have gotten from them. I'll just have to wait and pry that they show up used somewhere at a reasonable rate :p

Oh well...

JBroida
12-07-2011, 08:46 PM
what video?

mpukas
12-07-2011, 09:13 PM
what video?

Carter's new vid on chef's using nakiri knives? $35 + shipping

SeanRogerPierce
12-07-2011, 09:33 PM
I thought the video is available as download for 25 $ without shipping costs!?

DwarvenChef
12-08-2011, 12:47 AM
I thought the video is available as download for 25 $ without shipping costs!?

Yes it is, One, I don't trust 9 hour downloads... succy connection, two, I'm a bit material still, I want a disc...

Justin0505
12-08-2011, 02:56 AM
I bought the download. I haven't finished all of it yet, there's a lot of content, but 2/3 though the main video (haven't watched special features yet) and I can't say that I really learned anything. It's kinda remedial / beginner level instruction, but some of the stuff that they do (peeling garlic by holding a clove in hand and scrapping it with the blade) could be pretty dangerous for a novice, so I don't know who his audience really is with these. I like Carter and I appreciate what he's doing so I don't regret the $25, but I would also say that I don't think that it's worth the $50 that you'd have to pay, Dwarven.

Also, I hate to play the better / worse comparison game, but Jon's video's are the best done (great camera work, and commentary / explanations) and most informative. Even as a jaded knife snob I still learned a lot. I think that the amazingly high bar the Jon's videos set is what made me a bit underwhelmed when it came to the Carter one.
I'm also really impressed that Jon just put them out there for free. -I almost feel guilty about getting so much out of Jon's videos without paying anything... so I'll just have to buy more stuff from him until that feeling goes away.

DwarvenChef
12-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Having a custom nakiri from Carter really put me in the mood to get the video, just OUCH...

I also like Jon's videos and hope to see more :)