PDA

View Full Version : Look what just arrived (Spoiler: it's a knife)

bcrano
12-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share. Now this is a little bit of an odd choice admittedly but I got this knife to fulfill a vacant spot in my line up -- that of a petty (which it really isn't), and to see have Dave experiment with copper etching on it (which didn't work). I know I could have bought a lot of other knives instead that maybe made more sense -- for the $ or whatever, but holding it in my hand, I'm glad I got it none the less, and can't wait to go play with it when I get home!

The said knife is a Mr. Itou 180 small gyuto in R2 with an abalone handle. Another note, this is my first damascus blade. And it looks really cool up close...
http://japanesechefsknife.com/Gyuto180mmAbalone2.jpg
(real photo when I figure out how to post one! but it looks alarmingly similar.)

99Limited
12-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Itou's offerings on JCK got snatched up pretty quick. Glad you grab one while you could. The abalone handle is pretty cool looking.

Eamon Burke
12-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Awww the copper didn't take?

Stilll, that is a WILD pattern.

Timthebeaver
12-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Itou's blades really do look spectacular. I remember seeing a post by Curtis (a long time ago) comparing the edge holding very favourably to a KD (Cowry-X). Can any/other Itou owners comment on their knives?

bcrano
12-13-2011, 04:10 PM
What's cool just from looking at it is the damascus feels very ridgy or defined... maybe it says something secret in braille???

oivind_dahle
12-13-2011, 04:23 PM
How is the handle? How does it feel to hold it?
Nice Knife btw:)

Mingooch
12-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Itou's blades really do look spectacular. I remember seeing a post by Curtis (a long time ago) comparing the edge holding very favourably to a KD (Cowry-X). Can any/other Itou owners comment on their knives?

Tim, love my Itou, holds a great edge, no chipping etc. Never tried a KD, so I cant compare fairly. Love that knife.

bcrano
12-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Oivind, I had read that the handles are boxy -- and it is boxier than the handles on my other knives or a Dave rehandle for example -- but at this side it's not in anyway uncomfortable. I could see if it was a larger handle on a larger knife it could be annoying, maybe -- but not at this size...

tk59
12-13-2011, 06:24 PM
There's certainly a lot going on there.

sudsy9977
12-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Cool knife boss....Ryan

JohnnyChance
12-14-2011, 02:10 AM
There's certainly a lot going on there.

Just your style.

bcrano
12-14-2011, 03:07 AM
As its my first carbon Damascus, do you guys think I should force a patina or go with the flow? Generally or anyone who has experience with an Itou?