PDA

View Full Version : Line Knife

chefofthefuture
12-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Hey Devin, what ever happened to the ITK run of 225mm line knives?

DevinT
12-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Dropped the ball on that one, whoops.

I did make some 210mm gyuto's though.

Pesky is having me make him a line knife, we'll see how he likes his, and maybe make some adjustments.

Hoss

chefofthefuture
12-23-2011, 02:49 PM
So does that mean there's still a possibility for a run of them?

DevinT
12-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Give me some ideas please.

Hoss

chefofthefuture
12-26-2011, 01:06 PM
I think durability would be priority so it would have to be stainless and the wood would have to be stabilized. 225mm should be the right length, not too big for a line but big enough to be useful.

The shape would be interesting, I always pictured something that has the rough shape of a suji however it would be somewhat taller and have a more pronounced belly so it could be used for slicing or push cuts. Essentially anything that would need to be done in a pinch on the line. I've also always liked the look of a kiritsuke tip, so that might be an idea.

JohnnyChance
12-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Yeah, kinda a gyuto/suji hybrid, maybe 43-43mm tall at the heel. I like the standard Devin profile, but perhaps a slightly higher tip with a little bit more curve would be useful.

chefofthefuture
12-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Yeah, kinda a gyuto/suji hybrid, maybe 43-43mm tall at the heel. I like the standard Devin profile, but perhaps a slightly higher tip with a little bit more curve would be useful.

Yeah I agree that the suji/gyoto combo would be best for what we're going for here. I think one of us just needs to come up with a rough drawing.

El Pescador
12-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Good chance DT and I are working on this at his place on Thursday. Any ideas people?

Dave Martell
12-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Wouldn't a shorter suji (240-260mm) with good board manners be the best all-arounder for a line knife?

El Pescador
12-28-2011, 12:10 AM
I've tried a smaller suji and don't like it as much. Jon Broida has what I think was a HC Masamoto 240mm gyuto that hes sharpened so many times it like a 215mm suji/gyuto.

Justin0505
12-28-2011, 12:29 AM
If you've got a chance to handle a production "Tojiro ITK Shirogami Wa-Gyuto 210mm" I think that there is lot of promise in the basic design premise: stout, blade-heavy design, a heel that's taller than most suji's but on the long&low side of gyuto profiles. I spent a few months with one before I gave it as an XMAS gift.

If you didnt increase the height but kinda "stretched" it another 15mm primarily adding onto a "sweet spot" at the nose, it would be a really cool knife: kinda a gyuto-suji (gyu-ji?).

Obviously a DT knife would have much better attention to detail, fit&finish, etc, but I like working knives that still have a little rustic, rough n' tumble charm and just look cooler with some well-earned wear.

El Pescador
12-28-2011, 12:35 AM
Initially, Hoss and I discussed a 210mm suji but with a stouter blade. It's kinda morphed into the suji/gyuto.

Justin0505
12-28-2011, 12:48 AM
yeah i really like the idea of a stout suji wearing a high heel. It seems like a logical frankenknife, but i have yet to see one done really well.

bcrano
12-28-2011, 01:14 AM
Can't wait to see what the man comes up with.

mattrud
12-28-2011, 03:47 AM
240mm suji has been my line knife for years, gyuto works best for prep, but I will ALWAYS have a 240mm suji on me

JohnnyChance
12-28-2011, 04:50 AM
I think a little bit of an upswept handle would be useful. Not as much as the "Alton's Angle" Shuns, but a few degrees for a little extra knuckle clearance.

chefofthefuture
12-28-2011, 02:07 PM
I think a little bit of an upswept handle would be useful. Not as much as the "Alton's Angle" Shuns, but a few degrees for a little extra knuckle clearance.

wa or western handled?

JohnnyChance
12-29-2011, 01:09 AM
wa or western handled?

Wa

El Pescador
01-12-2012, 12:00 AM
I visited DT this past weekend and watched as he put together a 210mm sujihiki in a spicy white steel/stainless san mai. I left it with him to tweak the handle some. I was able to use it to do some prep for a Mexican BBQ shared with his family and let me tell you: this is an amazing knife. It is a great line knife. I have used other 210mm pettys but felt they were too laser-ish. This knife was light, but substantial at the same time.

For any of you on the fence about contacting Hoss about a custom, don't. He makes amazing knives and knows what an amazing knife is.

Sorry no pics...What happens in Panaca, stays in Panaca.

Pesky

MadMel
01-12-2012, 08:21 AM
I visited DT this past weekend and watched as he put together a 210mm sujihiki in a spicy white steel/stainless san mai. I left it with him to tweak the handle some. I was able to use it to do some prep for a Mexican BBQ shared with his family and let me tell you: this is an amazing knife. It is a great line knife. I have used other 210mm pettys but felt they were too laser-ish. This knife was light, but substantial at the same time.

For any of you on the fence about contacting Hoss about a custom, don't. He makes amazing knives and knows what an amazing knife is.

Sorry no pics...What happens in Panaca, stays in Panaca.

Pesky

Now you've got me wanting pics!!!

Adagimp
01-23-2012, 01:39 AM
Sounds like a cool project. Looking forward to pics of the finished creation.

memorael
01-23-2012, 06:18 AM
The masamoto KS gyuto has a suji/gyutoish shape that I find very usefull a 240 leaning a bit more towards a suji I think would be an interesting shape.

stevenStefano
01-23-2012, 07:49 AM
I think if you made a 210 Masamoto KS that would be perfect for a line knife. You still need such a knife to be a little gyuto like especially if it is only 210 long to give you any sort of usable flat area.

Bryan G.
01-23-2012, 09:27 AM
Yea some sujis are a bit too narrow, and gyutos too tall. I agree with what's been said here. And I like the 225mm length as well. Not a petty but not a 240 gyuto (which can be too long it tight areas) ... I do like the Kiritsuke tip as well, but don't think it's a deal breaker.