PDA

View Full Version : Materials for stropping paired with compounds

Eamon Burke
03-15-2011, 12:25 AM
So what stropping materials do you find work best with what levels of compound/type of compound? Not what substrates do you prefer overall, but how do you use them together?

Mainly, I'm interested in seeing if anyone prefers to do, say, 1 micron paste/spray on balsa and .25 and smaller on leather. Or something like that.

Anyone use a particular substrate for finishing to beginning stropping?

I'm thinking that leather might be a good substrate to use for the last compound, since it gives good feedback(which I get almost NONE of by the .5 level if I do my knives right) and does a bit of help blending off those imperfections.

Thoughts?

mainaman
03-15-2011, 01:23 AM
For touch up I would use CrO or plain leather strop.

spinblue
03-15-2011, 09:25 AM
It was my impression given what a lot of info has been made available on forums, that the diamond gives a toothier edge for kitchen knives. While the green stuff is better for the final polish on razors.

Eamon Burke
03-15-2011, 12:39 PM
I know this, what I was interested in was how the different pastes perform on different substrates.

Like, do you prefer poly sprays paired with leather, and CrO paired with balsa, etc?

Jay
03-15-2011, 01:56 PM
CrOx with leather is a natural combo, but I find that some of the diamond sprays can expand and subsequently crease the surface of leather- no good at all considering the level of fineness you're trying to acheive. I think they work better with balsa. (I have no experience with felt, though.)

Aphex
03-17-2011, 12:13 AM
I think Salty did a pretty good exteriment on this subject a while back.

If i remember correctly, the best "tomato push cutting" edge came from a textured leather/.25 diamond combination.

Eamon Burke
03-17-2011, 10:10 AM
I think Salty did a pretty good exteriment on this subject a while back.

If i remember correctly, the best "tomato push cutting" edge came from a textured leather/.25 diamond combination.
I'd love to see that!
I'll ask him if it's around anywhere.

Pensacola Tiger
03-17-2011, 10:23 AM
I'd love to see that!
I'll ask him if it's around anywhere.

Here's the thread, but the video's been removed.

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/889440/tp/1/

Cadillac J
03-17-2011, 10:44 AM
I really like Felt + Diamond spary (1 micron) for stropping in between each stone for deburring purposes, and then Leather + Chromium oxide powder(o.5 micron) for final stropping.

This works well enough for me that I haven't had the urge to try anything else, but I'm sure I'll get around to some CBN and balsa some day.

Eamon Burke
03-18-2011, 12:27 AM
Yeah, I'm asking because I have some stuff coming in and that will put my stock at balsa, several leather types, paper, CBN, CrO, and SiC. I feel like I"m at a drive through trying to pick what to put on where. (Except the balsa, of course, I'll just sand it down if I don't like it).