PDA

View Full Version : Feather damascus petty

HHH Knives
12-31-2011, 05:57 PM
Just finishing up this one.

Its a carbon damascus blade, forged by Randy Jr. 190mm blade with mammoth tooth bolsters and stabilized buckeye burl handles. stainless hardware.

Sry about the bad pics. Mother nature didnt want to cooperate and its been overcast and raining the last couple days Ill update with a few better pics ASAP. :wink:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3391&d=1325372170

Andrew H
12-31-2011, 06:32 PM
I'd call it a 190mm gyuto. But whatever it is, it's purty. :thumbsup:

Well done Randy + Randy Jr!

HHH Knives
12-31-2011, 07:34 PM
I agree, it could be called many things. But Im calling it a Awesome little cutter. :D

It feels great on the board, and has a surprisingly light,quick feel in hand. Weighing a total of only 6 oz.

WildBoar
12-31-2011, 08:05 PM
Randy, I'm so glad you and Jr. joined this forum :doublethumbsup:

HHH Knives
12-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Were glad to be here, Thanks David.. :)

tk59
01-01-2012, 12:01 AM
Nice feather pattern and although I generally dislike unnatural colors on scales, that buckeye is surprisingly beautiful.

rmbonham
01-01-2012, 12:32 AM
you could probably put poop scales on it and that crazy beautiful feather damascus would still make it look like a million bucks.

Eamon Burke
01-01-2012, 06:02 AM
Love it.

Love the tooth.

Mike Davis
01-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Very nice Team Randy!!!

HHH Knives
01-01-2012, 10:22 AM
you could probably put poop scales on it and that crazy beautiful feather damascus would still make it look like a million bucks.

LOL Thats funny. Thanks.

I have said something similar about some of my woods, "That you could put this amazing wood on a rusty old lawn mower blade and it would still look like a million bucks!"

HHH Knives
01-02-2012, 01:08 PM
The sun came out today for about 3 minutes. lol And I ran outside with my camera and knives in hand to try and get pics in natural light.. Which is how I shoot most of the photos of my knives.. So here are a few more pics of this awesome Feather Petty!

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3438&d=1325527566

JohnnyChance
01-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Beautiful work Randy and Jr! Is that some file work I spy around the handle? :wink:

HHH Knives
01-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks Johnny, Indeed it is, you have a good eye! Its a thorn and vine pattern. Heres a few pics. ;)

HHH Knives
01-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Nice feather pattern and although I generally dislike unnatural colors on scales, that buckeye is surprisingly beautiful.

Thanks tk.. I love Buckeye, although it can be a challenge working with it.. even when stabilized its often one of them woods that take some TLC to make look good! :)

HHH Knives
01-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Love it.

Love the tooth.

Very nice Team Randy!!!

Thanks guys for the comments on this one. :) This went to one of our KKF members, maybe he will chime in and give some feedback on the knife..

DeepCSweede
01-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Randy & JR. - Nice job and beautiful piece - I love the feather damascus and the attention to detail is great - The thorn and vine pattern is a nice touch.

HHH Knives
01-12-2012, 09:18 AM
:thanx:

JohnnyChance
01-13-2012, 05:31 AM
This one is mine. So far it has been great. The grind is different than my first HHH, a 210mm Kiritsuke gyuto, more of a full convex than a small blended bevel. Much nicer performance wise. I know Randy called it a petty, as that is what I asked for, but dimension wise I guess it does look more like a 190mm chef or petty/chef. I still use it in hand and feels small and nimble to me. Randy Sr. and Jr. basically nailed each thing I specified: fine feather pattern, 190mm long, 42mm tall at the heel, 2.5mm at the spine, full convex grind, Shigefusa-esque profile, mammoth tooth, file work just around the handle. I provided the wood, a piece from Craig Stevens I got last spring. The steel has been nice, I havent gone through a full progression on the stones yet. Pretty well behaved reactivity wise, browned some onions but that was before patina had really set in. Taking on a nice blue and purple patina which is very hard to photograph, I've been cutting every piece of bloody protein in sight with it. Profile is perfect, good for on board use or in hand. Whenever we have a slow night at work and I can be extra mindful, this will be my big pimpin line knife. Thanks again to Randy and Co.!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-obJTDSPS13Y/Tw_7KnaT5ZI/AAAAAAAABT0/aUQ2q7gCRpQ/s912/IMG_1270.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-chdNxpvIDVg/Tw_7L9M72FI/AAAAAAAABT8/-lK7ydL2lpQ/s912/IMG_1271.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6YNYPTLjVKQ/Tw_7L9lxVDI/AAAAAAAABUA/37Y0CmLk1n0/s912/IMG_1272.JPG

HHH Knives
01-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Johnny, Thats looking good! love that patina!

Im happy to hear your lovin the new knife. I think with all the talk about line knives lately.. That this profile would fit the bill for that quite well.

I forgot that you had one of the 1095 K tip knives. I have made changes to my grinds. (mostly because of what I have learned from this forum and its members, Thanks guys:D)

Thanks for the write up and sharing the pics.. Makes my day. :)
Randy

sachem allison
01-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Johnny, Thats looking good! love that patina!

Im happy to hear your lovin the new knife. I think with all the talk about line knives lately.. That this profile would fit the bill for that quite well.

I forgot that you had one of the 1095 K tip knives. I have made changes to my grinds. (mostly because of what I have learned from this forum and its members, Thanks guys:D)

Thanks for the write up and sharing the pics.. Makes my day. :)
Randy

Heh! I could of swore I asked for feather pattern, way back in the beginning for the Dragonslayer set and I was told Randy Jr. didn't think that pattern would make a good chef knife. Now I see feather patterns all over the place, what gives? I feel betrayed! a little dirty! My heart hurts. I could of been the first one, but know the little guy didn't feel good about it! Huh! Maybe I should have talked to Devin, Will or Micheal Rader. grmble, grumble,grumble. Nice work guys.stunning,can't wait for the meteorite blade.

HHH Knives
01-13-2012, 11:00 PM
lol, Ouch.. :( That stings a little! lolol

Yep, I had to twist Jr's arm to get him to make me this 180mm blade.. I challenged him to figure out how to make this in larger sizes. So, he has been working on the pattern and his technique. (Because its one of the most requested patterns right now. And Im so mean Grrrrr.)

So now with modifying how hes forging the pattern, and after a couple more test billets. I think we will be able to offer blades in the larger sizes. 240mm, 270mm etc.

Chef Son, The Meteorite blade is going to be extra special to make up for this little snag. :) I have been thinking about this project quite a bit lately, and have a few ideas. Jr. is forging a second bar of meteorite damascus right now..

Next time you get a couple extra minutes.. Give me a call. and lets make a plan.

sachem allison
01-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Randy. I'll give you a call maybe sometime this week or monday, tuesday . really nice work, that's why I wanted it, because no one else had it.:sad0: Tell him I'm heart broken. by the way really love that stainless damascus piece you test etched your logo on.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3628&d=1326431070

JohnnyChance
01-14-2012, 01:29 AM
Don't worry Son, next time I am in the city I will let you fondle it for a bit.

sachem allison
01-14-2012, 01:40 AM
Don't worry Son, next time I am in the city I will let you fondle it for a bit.

hey, you want in on the dragon slayer pass around?

JohnnyChance
01-14-2012, 01:43 AM
I abstained because I have 2 knives from Randy already, I figured I would let some others get in on it instead.

When they get back from their world tour, let me know. We can do an exchange and I will let you borrow some pieces too. Haha, switch kits for a week or two.

sachem allison
01-14-2012, 02:03 AM
I abstained because I have 2 knives from Randy already, I figured I would let some others get in on it instead.

When they get back from their world tour, let me know. We can do an exchange and I will let you borrow some pieces too. Haha, switch kits for a week or two.

sounds good

HHH Knives
01-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Glad to hear you like the knife Johnny! Its a awesome little cutter! I really like the profile you wanted and will be making it again!! Its awesome to get some feedback. Thanks for posting!