PDA

View Full Version : New HHH makers mark. What do you guys think?

HHH Knives
01-04-2012, 12:01 AM
First I gota say THANKS CLAY!!!! for taking this bull by the horns and running with it.

I started on this a few months back Worked with friends, Darcy and Clint to design the logo. Then I ordered a hand stamp. Which I paid dearly for.. And when It arrived, It wouldnt make a mark. even in cherry red steel. So the stamp maker, Made another stamp for me.. redesigning it where it was gona work for sure..... Guess what.. It didnt!!lol So I ended up with 2 stamps that wont mark steel.. I was bummed but with a bad taste in my mouth from the whole thing with this vendor, I just put it on the back burner. Then my buddy Clay took my logo and contacted Ernie and had some stencils made. and hooked me up with the stuff to get r done! all within a week and for less then 1/4 of the cost of a hand stamp.. If this works as good as I hope. Ill be a happy camper!

Then, today I get a email from him with the first marks on some scrap steel with the New HHH Logo. He had to test it out dont ya know.. lol

What do you guys think of the new mark? Its a little mark, about 1/2 inch hig and wide.

On a side note, I have 2 new HHH leather stamps!

WildBoar
01-04-2012, 12:07 AM
Too much belly, and tip is too high :D

SpikeC
01-04-2012, 12:08 AM
I think it looks good!
Of course, I just hand carve my marks into the steel before HT.....

HHH Knives
01-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Too much belly, and tip is too high :D :rofl2::tease::lol2:

I gota admit, Thats funny right there, thanks for the laugh, I needed it!:thumbsup:

Eamon Burke
01-04-2012, 12:41 AM
Excellent, big improvement.

Andrew H
01-04-2012, 12:43 AM
It would look better with a gyuto, but I like it :viking:

Mike Davis
01-04-2012, 12:54 AM
Very nice Randy!!!! Clay must really like you :)

HHH Knives
01-04-2012, 02:14 AM
Thanks guys! Im sure I can have some made with a Gyuto Heck I may have to get one with a Suji too! :D

Mike, you know, Its Gods favor in my life brother.
Im blessed in the city and blessed in the country, Blessed coming and going, Blessed to be a blessing! Speaking of being a blessing, Im doing a GAW on the pay it forward area of that Dog pound forum! For any of you knife makers that may read this thread.. :) (mike) lolol

Again Thanks guys, for the comments. Ill post some pics of it on a 240mm blade soon for size reference.

Jim
01-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Its Nice Randy, I would like to see the scale, some of the logos are just so huge. For me they detract from the knife and seems like the maker has a "confidence problem" hahah..

HHH Knives
01-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Jim, Thanks Yep, This mark is a little under 1/2 X 1/2 or should I say aprox. 12mm X 12mm :D

So its a little bigger then my current mark, But not so large it takes a 210mm bade to put it on! lol I know what ya mean about some marks. I would hate to distract alot from any aspect of the knife with a HUGE mark. :)

Lefty
01-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Looks great, Randy!

HHH Knives
01-05-2012, 02:53 AM
Its Nice Randy, I would like to see the scale, some of the logos are just so huge. For me they detract from the knife and seems like the maker has a "confidence problem" hahah..

Dialed in on the etching a little and then applied a mark on a 240 Gyuto That I have profiled on my bench. Im super happy with it! :)

ecchef
01-05-2012, 03:57 AM
I like it. Has kind of a Gothic look.

Jim
01-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Looks great!

Ratton
01-05-2012, 11:33 AM
I think it looks really good, I like it! :2thumbsup:

DeepCSweede
01-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Looks good but I agree with previous comment that it should be a reasonable size. Some of them are so big they take away from the knife.

DeepCSweede
01-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Dialed in on the etching a little and then applied a mark on a 240 Gyuto That I have profiled on my bench. Im super happy with it! :)

Okay, now I see it on the knife - It looks fantastic!:viking:

GLE1952
01-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Very Nice!

WildBoar
01-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Looks like a good size!

HHH Knives
01-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Im thinking that this mark will be a winner! And I will be adding the mark to all future orders. If you have already placed a order and would prefer the old mark. Please let me know.

Thanks guys for your input, I appreciate it!
Randy

Bryan G.
01-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Randy I agree, I think that is perfect size my friend. It looks really good. The only thing that turns me off from these forums as too many of you guys are producing too many good looking knives .... well I guess I just have to start making more money and do more things so I can check one (or two, or three) out from every maker. So perhaps it's a good thing to add even more motivation to me!!! Keep up the good work. Impressive

Kind Regards

Bryan

Keith Neal
01-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Im thinking that this mark will be a winner! And I will be adding the mark to all future orders. If you have already placed a order and would prefer the old mark. Please let me know.

Thanks guys for your input, I appreciate it!
Randy

Randy:

Very elegant new mark. I like it. And I have a good idea where it should go first!

Keith

Eamon Burke
01-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Nice etch BTW. You practiced!

mr drinky
01-06-2012, 06:34 PM
I like it, but how does the center knife outline come out in reality? It seems as if it might get lost in the damascus every now and then.

k.

HHH Knives
01-06-2012, 06:57 PM
I like it, but how does the center knife outline come out in reality? It seems as if it might get lost in the damascus every now and then.

k.

The knife behind the HHH is crisp and actually on this blade darker by at least 1 shade then the damascus color.. But I agree on some patterns it may get lost a bit.. But, with the knife in hand or even at arms length. Its distinguishable and easy to see.

I really didnt want the knife to be super prominent, more a subliminal message in the image.. Where when you see the HHH with the knife behind it, your mind will be like Oh HHH Knives. Where the HHH alone you might not think the same thing.. and scratch your head going what the heck is HHH

Im not a marketing pro by any means. But see things like this all the time in logos or commercials etc. So I figured I would try it..

Cool thing is, I was looking into Tee shirts today and the logo looks CRAZY good blown up on the back of a shirt, and again small on the pocket. :) I hope when I get back in line with my cash to place a order for some shirts and hats.. ( scullys! For Mike and I. :) ) Randy Jr. wants hoodies.and the price per shirt was like really hight! So he may have to wait a year for hoodies!

Thanks for the question, and Thank you guys for the input and comments Its encouraging.

Eaglewood
01-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Very nice Randy!!!! Clay must really like you :)

Randy is not only my Brother in Christ, he is an awesome friend and teacher. When I saw him hit his mark on the anvil and things went flying, I decided it was time to help him out. Was my pleasure to do this for him. When I saw the smile on his face after he got that dialed in-- it was all worth it.

kalaeb
01-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Good stuff Randy!

WildBoar
01-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Looking forward to getting an HHH t-shirt w/ each knife order :doublethumbsup:

RRLOVER
01-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Looks Great Randy,I like an understated etched logo. For me a giant name with info I just don't need looks Tacky to me etched on a chefs knife.

HHH Knives
01-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Im blessed and thankful that Clay went out of his way to help me out on this.. And even more so, I'm pleased with the design. Its gona look AWESOME on the blades, as well as on the Tee's and hats and scull caps, etc. Here are a few variations. of the design.

I know what you all mean about some of the maker marks being used.. I wanted a mark that I can use for my hunting knives and folders as well as my kitchen cutlery. And because 85% of the knives I make are damascus, I wanted to keep it simple as to not distract and or take away from the flow of the knife..

Thanks guys for your input and comments.
Randy

HHH Knives
01-13-2012, 01:05 AM
Heres the first knife with the new mark,, Or at least a sneak peak!

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3628&d=1326431070

Mike Davis
01-13-2012, 01:59 AM
Awesome Randy!!! Now i am redesigning my logo...It is huge....lol

Ratton
01-13-2012, 12:24 PM
:thumbsup: :wow: :doublethumbsup: What more can I say!!!

WillC
01-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Looks great Randy. stainless seems to etch just a touch crisper than carbon, maybe its just the contrast.

HHH Knives
01-15-2012, 11:11 AM
Im super happy with the new mark, The size and how well I am able to etch it into a blade.. Eaglewood made a believer out of me, As I swore I would not use a ether.. Im still going to have a stamp made that will work on blades.. Similar to this mark at some point in the near future..

Will, It did mark the stainless very well. I dont think its darker, Just that the stainless is lighter/brighter then carbon damascus.. More testing required! lol

Mike, I like your ELS (extra large stamp) . lol But what if you want to make a folder? or a smaller paring knife??? I guess you could just wrap it around the blade, starting on one side and continuing on the other! lolol :) Hey why not? ROTFLMAO!

HHH Knives
05-15-2013, 02:19 AM
Been messing around with some new images, Planning on doing some T shirts. and stickers etc. :)

Please take a look and let me know your thoughts. :yammer:

cclin
05-15-2013, 02:51 AM
simple is better for me...I vote for bottom one(either black or white back ground)!!

GlassEye
05-15-2013, 02:54 AM
simple is better for me...I vote for bottom one(either black or white back ground)!!

+1

Crothcipt
05-15-2013, 02:55 AM
Honestly I like them all. I can see the ones with the girls on a t-shirt.

HHH Knives
05-15-2013, 02:59 AM
Simple and understated is almost always best! :) Yet over the top has its place!! So far Im just testing the waters. and havin fun. But sooner then later Ill be ordering a batch of shirts. and just the HHH hardly fills up the back of a 2X Tee! lol

K9drivr
05-15-2013, 03:12 AM
I like simpler as well. Have you thought of adding your tag line to fill up space?

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit..

HHH Knives
05-15-2013, 03:18 AM
Yep.. But have not done it yet. :) Will try and get it on there and spaced out to look right! :) Great idea

Paradox
05-15-2013, 08:13 PM
I think they look great but I'd loose the mudflap girls though.

HHH Knives
05-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Im with ya. No Mud Flap girls.. Not even on the T shirts! :D

Still working out some details. I added a Rocker and the web site below. Still tweaking the design a bit.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!