View Full Version : king 1000 with dark splotches....mold inside?

01-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Took a look at a friends stone that looked very dirty and had these black splotches on it. I took a flattener to it and ground it down until it looked all even (hard to tell since it was wet), but when it dried up the dark splotches came back. I never tried sharpening with it. Is this mold that is inside the stone? Just wondering what to do with this stone now....

Dave Martell
01-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Sounds like mold to me. I've had this happen to my King stones in the summer when it's real hot in the shop. During those times I have to change the water frequently and wash the stones down too.

Pensacola Tiger
01-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Would soaking it in a solution of bleach and water help?

01-07-2012, 07:17 PM
I got some grease or oil on my King #8K a while ago and the spot has never gone away. Ignore it.

01-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Most likely mould, could be oil and could be staining from not cleaning the stone.

If it's not affecting how the stone works, barely worth worrying about.

(But a little bleach in the water won't hurt anything, and if it's mould, the bleach will clear it up fairly quickly.)


01-07-2012, 08:58 PM
What problems are caused by mold growth in stones? Does the fungi break down the stone binder?

01-07-2012, 10:44 PM
What problems are caused by mold growth in stones? Does the fungi break down the stone binder?

Possibly, but I don't know for sure. I would not be surprised if there was some kind of animal/plant/biological thingy that will break down a stone though, if you'll let it.

I do know a slimy stone can be inconsistent, slipping and gripping alternately more than expected. A quick flatten usually takes care of that though, which I do unless I'm being especially lazy (which might also explain the slimy stone!).

A quick shot of bleach in any water used for keeping stones keeps the crap away, and is cheap. No point finding out for the sake a of a $0.01 shot of bleach, is it?