PDA

View Full Version : So I'm thinking about passing around my Dragon slayers.

sachem allison
01-09-2012, 01:20 AM
:viking:So, I was thinking about passing around the set that Randy made for me. I love them and I know that alot of you guys are into Randy's stuff, but haven't had the chance to use them. I am thinking about a dozen guys. You can each use them for about a week and pass it on to the next guy. All that I ask is that you insure them, don't remove any patina or modify the knife in any way. You can sharpen them, only if you know what you are doing. 50 posts or a pm gets you in. I will choose the 12 .:bigeek::knife:

Eamon Burke
01-09-2012, 01:21 AM
Oh my GOD I'd love to use these! Even my wife knows all about them.

sachem allison
01-09-2012, 01:26 AM
your in

Pabloz
01-09-2012, 01:26 AM
I'd love to be counted in on this one!!!

sachem allison
01-09-2012, 02:00 AM
your in too!

Andrew H
01-09-2012, 02:02 AM
I'd love to join.

tk59
01-09-2012, 02:12 AM
I'm interested, as well.

mr drinky
01-09-2012, 02:12 AM
This is tempting. But I am gone so often I don't trust that they won't sit for a week or two. I would love to get in on it though.

k.

Chef Niloc
01-09-2012, 02:16 AM
I'm in
Love the butcher belt

sachem allison
01-09-2012, 02:22 AM
I'd love to join.

in

sachem allison
01-09-2012, 02:23 AM
I'm interested, as well.

only if you put a good edge on it!

sachem allison
01-09-2012, 02:24 AM
This is tempting. But I am gone so often I don't trust that they won't sit for a week or two. I would love to get in on it though.

k.

Your in, we'll make you last that way if your not there no one misses out.lol

sachem allison
01-09-2012, 02:25 AM
I'm in
Love the butcher belt

Yeah, i wonder who made that. in!

By the way we all love and use them. thanks, Colin

May have to commission more in the future.

sachem allison
01-09-2012, 02:31 AM
Hey, this is not going to be a cheap set to insure, keep that in mind. I will be sending three of the four knives as two of the paring knives are essentially the same minus about a 1/2 inch and the butcher bandoleer. insured for $2500.00

mr drinky
01-09-2012, 02:33 AM
That's a good point. It will probably be $40+. I'm still in though. I consider that knife rent :)

k.

sachem allison
01-09-2012, 02:35 AM
That's a good point. It will probably be $40+. I'm still in though. I consider that knife rent :)

k.
your in Justin too

Justin0505
01-09-2012, 03:40 AM
your in Justin too

Awesome! I promise to share nice with Karing.

Thanks for doing this!

sachem allison
01-09-2012, 04:15 AM
my pleasure guys!

Pensacola Tiger
01-09-2012, 10:41 AM
If there's still room, I'd love to be included.

kalaeb
01-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Very cool of you, Randy is definately on my hot list. Unfortunately, like Karring I am out alot the next quarter, but would love to hear comments on these knives.

sachem allison
01-09-2012, 11:47 AM
If there's still room, I'd love to be included.

your in! be gentle, i heard about you!

sachem allison
01-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Very cool of you, Randy is definately on my hot list. Unfortunately, like Karring I am out alot the next quarter, but would love to hear comments on these knives.

we can work something out if you want.

Mike Davis
01-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Very awesome!!! I can say that i have already had the pleasure of checking these out :)

Pensacola Tiger
01-09-2012, 12:33 PM

Thanks!

WildBoar
01-09-2012, 01:43 PM
This is a very cool thing to offer! I'm interested to read some of the feedback/ reviews and see if the performance is on the same level as the aesthetics. Randy makes some really beautiful knives!

bcrano
01-09-2012, 02:52 PM
This is a great and generous offer, but I have to abstain. Knowing myself as I do and knowing the limits on my credit cards. I can't play with Randy's knives until I can afford to! But damn can't wait to see what people think!

Eamon Burke
01-09-2012, 06:34 PM

What's the word? I gotta know!

Pensacola Tiger
01-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Me, too.

SpikeC
01-09-2012, 07:19 PM
So tempting...........

eto
01-09-2012, 07:25 PM
I would love to try them if there's still room, Im just shy 4 posts to hit the big 50. I am however local in nyc so im easy to find.

sachem allison
01-09-2012, 08:51 PM
So tempting...........

your in if you want.i owe you that for waiting so patiently for me to get my sh$t together.

sachem allison
01-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Me, too.

i'M sorry, I meant pesky!

SpikeC
01-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Oh, what the he(ck). Sign me up.

sachem allison
01-09-2012, 09:02 PM
that;s it we are full guys. everyone send me your info, so that I can get everyone sorted out and I will send out the knives by next tuesday. I think I will start out on the west coast and end back here.

sachem allison
01-09-2012, 09:04 PM
I would love to try them if there's still room, Im just shy 4 posts to hit the big 50. I am however local in nyc so im easy to find.

your in

RRLOVER
01-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Beautiful Blades,very cool of you to pass them around. Lucky for me I got to fondle them already.

Chef Niloc
01-09-2012, 10:26 PM

:lol2::whistling::bliss::spankarse::punish:

Burrrrr it's cold down here

Pensacola Tiger
01-09-2012, 10:30 PM
i'M sorry, I meant pesky!

Not to worry, I'll be gentle.

Eamon Burke
01-09-2012, 10:33 PM
:lol2::whistling::bliss::spankarse::punish:

Burrrrr it's cold down here

:gunner:

eto
01-10-2012, 12:04 AM
your in

PM Sent
Cheers

HHH Knives
01-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Son this is awesome.. Im excited about it and I dont even get to play with the knives again! lol :) Man that sheath is SLICK nice job on it Chef.

I couldnt of picked out a better bunch of knife nuts myself to test em. Cant wait to hear an see what you guys think and do with the knives!!

sachem allison
01-12-2012, 01:41 AM
Okay guy's here is the list. I have openings for two more guys, as two have pulled out. we will go with this list and adjust accordingly if i get two more.

tinh
spike
pablo
eamon
heath
karring
justin
pensacola tiger
colin
eto
Andrew? we'll talk later
Johnny Chance get a hold of me if you want in

mr drinky
01-12-2012, 01:49 AM
Thank you sir.

k.

ptolemy
01-12-2012, 03:26 AM
These are gorgeous. I'd like some closeup pictures.

chuck239
01-12-2012, 04:01 AM
This is really cool. Congrats to everyone who gets to enjoy them. It's nice to get to try new makers knives and see what you think of them.

-Chuck

HHH Knives
01-12-2012, 09:49 AM
These are gorgeous. I'd like some closeup pictures.

I cant wait to see the again, and see how they have patina'd

Im not trying to steal this thread.. But there are pics of this set over in my makers forum. I think he thread is titles 4 piece set. or something like that. :)

Pensacola Tiger
01-12-2012, 11:02 AM
I cant wait to see the again, and see how they have patina'd

Im not trying to steal this thread.. But there are pics of this set over in my makers forum. I think he thread is titles 4 piece set. or something like that. :)

Link:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/2950-Custom-Damascus-Chef-knife-set

sachem allison
01-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys. Randy I can always send them to you to fondle.

HHH Knives
01-12-2012, 12:56 PM

LOL :) Son, You know I would love to see em again, But I can live vicariously through these 12 guys!!

On a side note, If theres anything you want adjusted of modified on the set.. I would be happy to do so at any time.. Just ask.

sachem allison
01-12-2012, 01:05 PM
I really like them the way they are, Depending on how these guys sharpen them I may have you thin the paring knives a little. I can't get them sharp enough, I'm pretty sure it is my technique not your knives though. :lol2: arthritis is a *****!:sad0:

SpikeC
01-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Wow! This is the first time that I have not been at the bottom of the list! Thanks, Son!

sachem allison
01-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Okay guy's here is the list. I have openings for two more guys, as two have pulled out. we will go with this list and adjust accordingly if i get two more.

tinh
spike
pablo
eamon
heath
karring
justin
pensacola tiger
colin
eto
Andrew? we'll talk later
forgot Vertigo, sorry where do I stick you in the list?

Vertigo
01-12-2012, 06:02 PM
RIGHT AT THE TOP!

But seriously, wherever is most convenient for shipping, lol.

sachem allison
01-12-2012, 06:04 PM
new list

tinh
spike
pablo
eamon
heath
vertigo
karring
justin
pensacola tiger
colin
eto
Andrew? we'll talk later

Eamon Burke
01-15-2012, 12:01 AM
:bliss:

sachem allison
01-15-2012, 01:54 AM
it's on its way to Tinh right now

sachem allison
01-15-2012, 01:55 AM
new list

tinh
spike
pablo
eamon
heath
vertigo
karring
justin
pensacola tiger
colin
eto
Andrew? we'll talk later

Johnnychance is out, who wants in?

Chef Niloc
01-15-2012, 05:00 AM

Dave turned me on to this a few years back so it's what I'm going to use
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000GHWXKC/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=284507&s=kitchen

WildBoar
01-15-2012, 03:57 PM
So those are the magic fingers he fantasizes about? :biggrin:

tk59
01-26-2012, 07:36 PM
These knives are off to SpikeC, as of a couple of hours ago. I'll post some comments, as soon as I get a chance to organize them. Thank you, Son.

tk59
01-29-2012, 01:34 AM
HHH Dragonslayers (overall conclusions are in bold at the bottom)
Aesthetics A
The blade is dark, and very deeply etched. The wood is very nice and dark, very nice quality material, imo. The look was very consistent across the matching set. The signature HHH look is very dramatic but classy-looking in my opinion.
Fit and finish B
There were a few issues that I think are easily corrected for the most part but fair to mention. The choil felt a bit uncomfortable and I wouldn’t want to fix it myself an ruin the etched finish. There were gaps between the copper liners and the tang on every blade. One in particular was quite large where a credit card could easily slide into the gap. I was surprised all of the gaps arrived clean and corrosion free, actually. The grind is fairly even judging by bevel width across the blade. As with most knifemakers, one side is ground more consistently, in this case that was the right side. Small handles were very smooth with no voids or checks and silky smooth, natural feeling.
Cutting C
As soon as the knives arrived I checked for sharpness (they shaved arm hair) and tried cutting an onion and a potato. My overwhelming feeling was that the knife really struggled to cut compared to the other bladed I’d been testing lately. Upon closer inspection, I found the bevels had been cut at 25+ deg on a side by my estimation. With Son’s permission, I reground the bevels to about 15 deg per side with a slight right hand asymmetry. Cutting was MUCH better. Lateral cuts on an onion were nice but vertical or radial cuts required more force than I would have liked. Food release was reasonable but not great with butternut squash posing a bit of an inconvenience. Power cutting was very good. Cleaving the onion in two was surprisingly pleasant and easy. On hard veggies like carrots, the knife felt a bit clumsy and the very flat profile led to some accordion cuts when I was handling large amounts of leafy veggies. The edge felt nice and aggressive but seemed to roll more than I expected but the steel responded well to my glass rod. Reactivity was not bad. Onions stank a bit and mangos discolored before patina really set in. I did feel the damascus drag, as usual.
Sharpening B
The steel was easy to grind but the burr was more fragmented and a bit more tenacious than expected. At first, I thought I might not have finished grinding the bevels in but this observations was reproducible. My guess is that one of the steels in the damascus mix was more of a burr lover than the other. Regardless, I produced the edge with my now standard Gesshin 1k, 5k, Kit8k and a little clean-up stropping on leather w/ 1 mcn diamond and passed the tomato test reasonably well. The plunge line is a little annoying and would catch here and there on my stones.
Other design points B
I thought the knuckle clearance was good on the gyuto and might be an issue on slicer and paring depending on how you like using them. The sheath has a nice, heavy and compact construction. Looks like a modified first draft with some odd stitching holes here and there and the slicer tip sticks out the bottom when completely inserted into the sheath. Cool “ferrule” shape, while aesthically pleasing is not fit for dropping into a knifeblock. I also noticed some tiny voids in the damascus, which I’ve seen in some other damascus knives and I don’t know that they are really a problem.
Overall B-/C+
I think these knives represent a very good, early effort by HHH.:thumbsup: These knives are decent cutters, esp if you like flat profiles. They have a distinctive look, as do all HHH pieces, in general. A few grind tweaks and fixing the gap issues would take these from decent to excellent, in my opinion. For what it’s worth, I’ve checked out some of HHH’s more recent work and the cutting ability has significantly improved. If these were my knives, I would be strongly inclined to take Randy up on his offer to modify the set a touch since I know he’s capable. I’m sure both knifemaker and customer would be happier, in the long run. :my2cents:

tk59
01-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Someone mentioned the overall grade doesn't seem to match the average of the other grades. I don't think all of the categories have the same importance. Also, the bang for the buck factor might be clouding my judgement.:scratchhead: Either way, the main point is these knives are a few tweaks away from being quite nice to use and I know he can do it based on another knife he's made.

sachem allison
02-09-2012, 01:19 AM
Who has the Dragon Slayers?

mr drinky
02-09-2012, 01:46 AM
Someone mentioned the overall grade doesn't seem to match the average of the other grades.

I think it all depends upon how a user weights each category -- but a good point to raise.

k.

SpikeC
02-09-2012, 03:06 PM
They are on the way to Pablo, should get there on Tuesday. I forgot to send him the tracking number yesterday, I will get that done today.

sachem allison
02-11-2012, 02:13 AM
thanks, Spike

Salty dog
02-11-2012, 02:41 AM
HHH Dragonslayers (overall conclusions are in bold at the bottom)
Aesthetics A
The blade is dark, and very deeply etched. The wood is very nice and dark, very nice quality material, imo. The look was very consistent across the matching set. The signature HHH look is very dramatic but classy-looking in my opinion.
Fit and finish B
There were a few issues that I think are easily corrected for the most part but fair to mention. The choil felt a bit uncomfortable and I wouldn’t want to fix it myself an ruin the etched finish. There were gaps between the copper liners and the tang on every blade. One in particular was quite large where a credit card could easily slide into the gap. I was surprised all of the gaps arrived clean and corrosion free, actually. The grind is fairly even judging by bevel width across the blade. As with most knifemakers, one side is ground more consistently, in this case that was the right side. Small handles were very smooth with no voids or checks and silky smooth, natural feeling.
Cutting C
As soon as the knives arrived I checked for sharpness (they shaved arm hair) and tried cutting an onion and a potato. My overwhelming feeling was that the knife really struggled to cut compared to the other bladed I’d been testing lately. Upon closer inspection, I found the bevels had been cut at 25+ deg on a side by my estimation. With Son’s permission, I reground the bevels to about 15 deg per side with a slight right hand asymmetry. Cutting was MUCH better. Lateral cuts on an onion were nice but vertical or radial cuts required more force than I would have liked. Food release was reasonable but not great with butternut squash posing a bit of an inconvenience. Power cutting was very good. Cleaving the onion in two was surprisingly pleasant and easy. On hard veggies like carrots, the knife felt a bit clumsy and the very flat profile led to some accordion cuts when I was handling large amounts of leafy veggies. The edge felt nice and aggressive but seemed to roll more than I expected but the steel responded well to my glass rod. Reactivity was not bad. Onions stank a bit and mangos discolored before patina really set in. I did feel the damascus drag, as usual.
Sharpening B
The steel was easy to grind but the burr was more fragmented and a bit more tenacious than expected. At first, I thought I might not have finished grinding the bevels in but this observations was reproducible. My guess is that one of the steels in the damascus mix was more of a burr lover than the other. Regardless, I produced the edge with my now standard Gesshin 1k, 5k, Kit8k and a little clean-up stropping on leather w/ 1 mcn diamond and passed the tomato test reasonably well. The plunge line is a little annoying and would catch here and there on my stones.
Other design points B
I thought the knuckle clearance was good on the gyuto and might be an issue on slicer and paring depending on how you like using them. The sheath has a nice, heavy and compact construction. Looks like a modified first draft with some odd stitching holes here and there and the slicer tip sticks out the bottom when completely inserted into the sheath. Cool “ferrule” shape, while aesthically pleasing is not fit for dropping into a knifeblock. I also noticed some tiny voids in the damascus, which I’ve seen in some other damascus knives and I don’t know that they are really a problem.
Overall B-/C+
I think these knives represent a very good, early effort by HHH.:thumbsup: These knives are decent cutters, esp if you like flat profiles. They have a distinctive look, as do all HHH pieces, in general. A few grind tweaks and fixing the gap issues would take these from decent to excellent, in my opinion. For what it’s worth, I’ve checked out some of HHH’s more recent work and the cutting ability has significantly improved. If these were my knives, I would be strongly inclined to take Randy up on his offer to modify the set a touch since I know he’s capable. I’m sure both knifemaker and customer would be happier, in the long run. :my2cents:

In short: Have Randy make you a set once he knows what he's doing.

mr drinky
02-11-2012, 03:30 AM
In short: Have Randy make you a set once he knows what he's doing.

I would agree with holding off on an elaborate set early on for any knifemaker just going into kitchen knives, but there is also something fun about trying new stuff out (if you have the means). I loved Salty's posts that showed the progression of Fowler, and I probably bought a Fowler knife because of it.

k.

Randy Jr
02-12-2012, 09:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHZ3j0251B0&feature=youtu.be:biggrin:

sachem allison
02-12-2012, 09:37 PM
http://youtu.be/RHZ3j0251B0 :biggrin:

can't open it

stevenStefano
02-12-2012, 10:55 PM
I would agree with holding off on an elaborate set early on for any knifemaker just going into kitchen knives, but there is also something fun about trying new stuff out (if you have the means). I loved Salty's posts that showed the progression of Fowler, and I probably bought a Fowler knife because of it.

k.

There is also getting in while a maker isn't so well known and they don't have a massive waiting list and their prices aren't that high

mr drinky
02-12-2012, 11:11 PM
There is also getting in while a maker isn't so well known and they don't have a massive waiting list and their prices aren't that high

100% agree. I was in on Dave's first Hiro handle buy and his first batch of knives. I also got in on Marko's first list and a fairly early pre-buy with Del. I just had an Adam Marr finished and also ordered a knife from Randy. Two Fowlers are also in my collection. Though not all of the knives have been perfect, I've enjoyed using them all and they are amazing knives. Getting in early is fun and you get to play with some interesting knives.

I can't wait for my knife from Randy. Any good maker learns and wants to learn to make better knives, and Randy is no different.

k.

Pabloz
02-13-2012, 12:11 AM
They are on the way to Pablo, should get there on Tuesday. I forgot to send him the tracking number yesterday, I will get that done today.

Spike,
Got it, AND I am anxiously awaiting their arrival.

PZ

Pabloz
02-15-2012, 12:15 AM
Hey All,
They arrived a few hours ago. Went back to re-read TK's assessment which is exteremly accurate. There are very few things that I can add and this posting is just first impression stuff. The only thing I have cut with them is bacon, and jack cheese for refried beans.

Gaps TK mentioned.
Right hand bias still there. I will touch up on 5K Choseras and strop.
Ricassos look like they get in the way of sharpening. Dinged scale on the left and scratch marks on the right were probably caused by sharpening.
Pins a little off but that may be intentional due to thong holes......do chef knives need thongs?????? If so, WHY??
Little nic in slicer blade. This could be due to brass ring in sheath if blade was inserted backwards. Will try to clean up when I sharpen and strop.
Scratches from sharpening. The pattern welded steel hides them really well.

More to follow. This is just straight out of the box as they arrived.

PZ

El Pescador
02-15-2012, 12:23 AM
Good eyes!

tk59
02-15-2012, 12:31 AM
Nice pics and measurement, Pabloz. Some of the sharpening scuffs were probably me. I do remember getting caught here and there while resetting the bevels. The slight right-hand bias was me, as well. I thought it would help with the cutting performance a bit without adversely affecting the edge-holding. The scratches were there when they got to me and the thong-holes are something that is specific to Son.

sachem allison
02-15-2012, 12:36 AM
actually those lanyard holes are so I don't drop them, had heart surgery awhile back and they cut some nerves in my wrists when they took some arteries out to put in my ticker. sometimes I loose feeling. I definitely don't want to drop these.lol too purdy! scuffs and scratches are fine, it is a working set and I expected a few knicks and dings on this pass around. I can always have Randy do some spa treatment at the end.lol I don't mind a right hand bias as Most of my knives are.

Pabloz
02-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Nice pics and measurement, Pabloz. Some of the sharpening scuffs were probably me. I do remember getting caught here and there while resetting the bevels. The slight right-hand bias was me, as well. I thought it would help with the cutting performance a bit without adversely affecting the edge-holding. The scratches were there when they got to me and the thong-holes are something that is specific to Son.

TK,
Now I see why you are considered the sharpening master. If you can do that precise a bias by eye...WOW.
PZ

They have started to take on a really BITCHEN patina that I will try to get some shots of in natural light. The bright electric blue is just dazzling. This pattern is SOOOOOO COOOL I almost get lost in my thoughts just looking at it a while and it hides the small scatches really well. I hope I can get down to Joe Cordova, my mentor, and show him...if that's OK with you Son.

I'll give them a 5k touch up today and get some cut tests done. I'm thinking cabbage and carrots for slaw, parsnips and baby yukons for that baked recipe someone posted...that was great.

If there are any questions about em that y'all might have please post them.

sachem allison
02-15-2012, 12:45 PM
TK,
Now I see why you are considered the sharpening master. If you can do that precise a bias by eye...WOW.
PZ

They have started to take on a really BITCHEN patina that I will try to get some shots of in natural light. The bright electric blue is just dazzling. This pattern is SOOOOOO COOOL I almost get lost in my thoughts just looking at it a while and it hides the small scatches really well. I hope I can get down to Joe Cordova, my mentor, and show him...if that's OK with you Son.

I'll give them a 5k touch up today and get some cut tests done. I'm thinking cabbage and carrots for slaw, parsnips and baby yukons for that baked recipe someone posted...that was great.

If there are any questions about em that y'all might have please post them.

fine with me, do what you gotta do

tk59
02-15-2012, 06:20 PM
TK,
PZMaster? Uh, no... Still, thanks for the feedback. Also SpikeC might have been responsible for some of that. I don't know if he sharpened it. :)

Pabloz
02-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Master? Uh, no... Still, thanks for the feedback. Also SpikeC might have been responsible for some of that. I don't know if he sharpened it. :)

In a PM Spike said he left the angles and just stropped them with some .5 micron spray and that they were fun to play with. I'll leave the angles for Eamon and just lightly touch them up. I'm sure he'll want to see them. I would absolutely love to be next after Jon did a sharpen job on a knife. The one Skype lesson I was in on was great....can only imagine a face to face session.

SpikeC
02-15-2012, 11:34 PM
I did work the edge on the parer. The bigger knives had nice edges on them, but the parer felt dullish so I worked it a bit on an Ozuku until it passed the 3 finger test. I left the other edges as Tinh set them to let the edge durability be evaluated by more usage. I was a little surprised by a loss of edge acuity after shredding 3 potatoes and thinly slicing 2 more. I was whacking away on my Boardsmith, butt still felt that the edge could have held up better. The stropping did bring it back pretty well, though. The slicer had a spot on the blade that I could not seem to get sharp. It was as if there was a not complete weld there, the next people will have to determine if it an issue, or just an anomaly.
I have written 3 reviews so far and my 'puter has eaten all of them, so this my be it!

tk59
02-16-2012, 12:18 AM
...I was a little surprised by a loss of edge acuity after shredding 3 potatoes and thinly slicing 2 more. I was whacking away on my Boardsmith, butt still felt that the edge could have held up better. The stropping did bring it back pretty well, though...I felt the same way, in general.

Pabloz
02-16-2012, 10:29 PM
If it's ok with everyone, Spike can send the Sigma stones to Eamon and I'll send Eamon the Dragon Slayers at the same time that way he can have another Christmas party. Then Eamon can send the stones to me and I'll get em back to Marko and the D/Srs can go next on the list. Will that work for everyone?

Eamon Burke
02-17-2012, 01:16 AM
It'll work for me, lol. :knife:

sachem allison
02-17-2012, 01:20 AM
sounds fine to me also.lol

sachem allison
02-17-2012, 01:21 AM
Hey, Eamon can you send the knives to Justin when your done as Karring well be out of town? justin0505

Eamon Burke
02-17-2012, 01:43 AM
No, I'll be keeping them.

sachem allison
02-17-2012, 01:52 AM
No, I'll be keeping them.
well if you really want them they are yours, I take little girls and their pretty mommies for payment.

Eamon Burke
02-17-2012, 01:57 AM
OH! You've found my kryptonite!

....I will send them on to Justin.

sachem allison
02-17-2012, 01:59 AM
isn't kryptonite a wonderful thing, sometime though?

DeepCSweede
02-17-2012, 10:57 AM
OH! You've found my kryptonite!

....I will send them on to Justin.

The girls and Mommy or the knives?:doublethumbsup:

Eamon Burke
02-18-2012, 11:31 AM
After I do get these, is anyone adverse to me bumping Colin up on these? It would only affect:

heath
karring
justin
pensacola tiger

If not, I understand. I've just got a score to settle. :zipper:

Pensacola Tiger
02-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Eamon,

No problem here.

Rick

Rottman
02-18-2012, 01:38 PM
I've just got a score to settle. :zipper:
Not many people will get traumatized by a wire edge:biggrin:

mr drinky
02-18-2012, 07:16 PM
After I do get these, is anyone adverse to me bumping Colin up on these? It would only affect:

heath
karring
justin
pensacola tiger

No problem from my end. I am out of town for most of the next three weeks anyhow, so I need a bit of delay.

k.

Chef Niloc
02-18-2012, 08:31 PM

heath
karring
justin
pensacola tiger

But you got to use the sig's and no power tools!

tk59
02-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Awesome. A showdown.:gunner:

Justin0505
03-01-2012, 02:54 PM
No problem for me either, just gimme a heads-up before sending them my way.

Pabloz
03-01-2012, 06:48 PM
They are on the way to Eamon as of today. He should get them on Monday...Tuesday at the latest.

PZ

SpikeC
03-01-2012, 09:56 PM
I guess I better get the stones out! Do I have Eamons addy?

Eamon Burke
03-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Heh! Now I have a P.O. Box! I can leave it everywhere!

Burke Cutlery
P.O. Box 1405
Hurst, TX

Ok maybe not everywhere, but I had to throw it out there at least once. What's the worst that could happen? Someone sends me a knife as a threat? I'll just sharpen it and send it back with a receipt!

Pabloz
03-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Hey Eamon,
How about an update. What did you think of the edge I left on em. To sushi/sashimi guy was it worth a bean? And how 'bout them stones????

Eamon Burke
03-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Oh I got them late last week! Managed to get a few days at work with them. I have talked to Randy a bit about them. I'll post my thoughts after sharpening them and using them a little more.

Eamon Burke
03-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Got an address for me to send these too, Colin?

Chef Niloc
03-21-2012, 01:15 AM
Got an address for me to send these too, Colin?

You got it...it's getting warm here in NY now so do you go sending a chill with that berrrrrr

Andrew H
03-21-2012, 01:20 AM
You got it...it's getting warm here in NY now so do you go sending a chill with that berrrrrr

:rofl2:

Chef Niloc
04-06-2012, 02:25 AM
They hit me today. I'll get to give them a good work out this weekend, just wanted to test out the edge Eamon sent me today. I gave it a light stropping and would you look at the size if the burr that came off!
By the way I like the mods you made to the sheath Son, cool

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/celtic2174/f464728a.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/celtic2174/8abbef25.jpg

Chef Niloc
04-06-2012, 02:27 AM
For anyone new out there the burr was is a joke, and a dam funny one if I do say so myself.:clown::laughat::whistling::laugh:

El Pescador
04-06-2012, 02:31 AM
funny Colin!

Eamon Burke
04-06-2012, 09:19 AM
But that was the secret to push cutting tp! :clown:

I just realized that I haven't written on these yet!

And holy crapoly, those took their sweet time getting there.

Pabloz
04-11-2012, 02:13 AM
ROFLMFAO......you are such a dip shythe Colin !!!!!!!!! That looks more like a pub hair from the guard robot that Son bought.

Just send em back to me....I'll save em.....OOOOHHHHH better yet....touch em to one of your new STROPS. Gottta have one of those when they are done.

eto
04-21-2012, 06:29 PM
So what's the status on these bad boys who's got them and who's next.

Thanks
Jason

mr drinky
04-21-2012, 06:44 PM
The Minnesotans should be coming up pretty soon.

k.

eto
04-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks Drinky, can't wait for my turn.
The Minnesotans should be coming up pretty soon.

k.

Chef Niloc
04-26-2012, 04:16 AM
Thanks Drinky, can't wait for my turn.

I think that time has come, shoot me your addy in a PM so I can send them to you.

eto
04-27-2012, 12:11 AM
I think that time has come, shoot me your addy in a PM so I can send them to you.

PM sent Chef

eto
05-05-2012, 11:02 PM

Just got the knives today. Thanks Chef Niloc.

I will mess with them for about a week, so who ever is next please shoot me a PM with your address info to mail it out.

Has anyone sharpened them yet?

tk59
05-06-2012, 12:17 AM
...Has anyone sharpened them yet?I sharpened them and so did Eamon, I assume. Why?

SpikeC
05-06-2012, 12:25 AM
I had to touch them up.

Chef Niloc
05-06-2012, 02:17 AM
I didn't sharpen them, wanted to pass Eamon's edge along, bur free!

Eamon Burke
05-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Ok here's my quick review(I'm tired of remembering I haven't given my thoughts on these). I put off making comments for too long, and now I've likely forgotten things, but here's what stood the test of time.

Aesthetics:
They are SA-WEET looking. These things have that antiquated, heirloom look to them. Nice enough to hang on the wall. We've all seen them. Yes, the scales drifted and have gaps on them. I could tell that really bothered Randy, they didn't leave his shop like that, and I'm sure he'd do what it takes to fix them if Son wants.

Performance:
The profile of the chef's is very flat--a bit too flat for me. It cuts well, and the balance point is far forward enough for me. You can tell this is a knife for Sabatier enthusiasts. I didn't get to use the slicer much, but it's more like a boning knife since it's not longer than the chef's anyways. The belt holster was great to have around at work, if I still worked there, I'd at least buy a canvas one. It's just too handy to have a knife right there, especially the paring knife. The paring knife was really handy, btw. A bit long for my style on a parer, but comfortable nonetheless.

The blades stuck pretty good, making cutting some things seem a bit more laborious than needed. The grind is pretty flat and the damascus is grippy grippy. Low reactivity.

The tip on the gyuto is thin, and has all the things that come along with that(more nimble, but flexy).

The bolster area is pretty thin, and necessitates a strong pinch grip. Also, being such a small amount of metal, the chef's knife was prone to flexing a lot at that spot.

The Edge:
They sharpened up easily enough(it is carbon steel), but they just wouldn't go past a certain point. I couldn't get that insane, piss-ripper edge off of them. They sort of took a nicely cleaned up toothy edge and stopped dead right there. I took them to a sigma select II 10k, then on strops of 3 microns, 1, .5 and .5. I like to do this basically to see what happens. The answer: nothing really. Anything beyond a stropped 5-6k edge on these will make little to no difference, and won't improve cutting ability. Not sure what that's about, maybe it's the damascus. It's not required that a knife shave like a comfortable straight razor, but I just wish I knew why this was.

Overall:
I liked them. I liked looking at them, and wearing a set of knives on my person at work. Cutting performance didn't really stand out to me, but they honed up well on my Idahone, low reactivity, and very cool look to them.

Basically if you like things to look like timeless antiques and love Sabatiers, you'd probably love these.

eto
05-06-2012, 08:55 PM
I sharpened them and so did Eamon, I assume. Why?

No reason. Just cut with them and they are sharp. nice sharpening job guys. I will use them for a few days and send them to mr drinky who I think got skipped in line.

Thanks,
Jason

eto
05-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Slayers are on there way to mr drinky.

mr drinky
06-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Who is next on the list or who hasn't gotten to try these out? Justin is passing on trying them out as he is too busy.

k.

Pensacola Tiger
06-26-2012, 10:42 AM
K.,

I think I'm next on the list. PM sent with my addy.

Rick

Pensacola Tiger
07-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Just my luck. My wife had the day off so we went to lunch and the Brown Truck of Joy that usually comes at dinnertime came while we were gone. I have to wait until tomorrow.

Pensacola Tiger
07-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Got them today. Thanks again for doing this pass around, Son.

Rick

sachem allison
07-10-2012, 04:30 PM
have fun.

sachem allison
07-16-2012, 12:43 PM
who on the list hasn't gotten a chance to use these? We are going on 6 months and nobody has communicated with me, we need to know where to send them next.

Eamon Burke
07-16-2012, 12:43 PM
SOMEONE ELSE REVIEW THESE!!!!!!

Pensacola Tiger
07-16-2012, 01:09 PM

I'm working on it.

sachem allison
07-16-2012, 10:37 PM
someone stick crothcipt in there please.

Pensacola Tiger
07-17-2012, 05:10 PM
OK, who on the list hasn't gotten the knives yet?

Rick

mr drinky
07-18-2012, 09:49 PM

I will fully admit I have been a slacker on reviewing these knives and posting to the forum in general. The knives came at a super crazy time and I didn't get to work them out nearly as much as I had hoped, and I didn't even sharpen them for Rick before I passed them on. Sorry Rick.

Anyhow, even though it isn't a proper review, here are some of my impressions.

* I'll reiterate the handle thing that Eamon mentioned. The gaps from the wood pulling away was noticeable and made me a bit cautious with them as I didn't want too much moisture to get in on my watch. Son said he is going to send them back to Randy to get them reworked after everyone is done, so I imagine all will be fixed in due time and they will be looking super sexy.
* Along that line, the look of the knives is amazing and I loved the damascus pattern and its low reactivity. They were stunning blades IMO, and handling them only made me more eager to get my custom knife from Randy.
* I did think the chef's knife a bit sticky for my taste and sometimes reached for other knives for certain cutting tasks. With that said, I'm not a huge stickler on this issue, and I believe there is more to a knife than just pure cutting utility.
* As for the slicer, I really liked the knife. I thought it was a nice size and very nimble, and it was a great utility knife for my cooking style. In the future I would like to get something similar in size and shape.
* The parer, however, was too small for me. The western handle in such a small size felt awkward to me.
* The belt/holster was very cool and everyone who saw it was complimentary. With that said, as I was packaging the knives up to send off, I slid the slicer in and the tip was able to poke out the bottom and punctured my finger. A parting gift of some blood :)
* And as I said before, I didn't have time to sharpen them, so I didn't get a proper read on how the sharpened up, and usually I like to compare to a similar knife in my arsenal too, but that too didn't happen.

Thanks again Son for the pass around.

k.

Pensacola Tiger
07-22-2012, 09:06 PM
These will be on the way to Crothcipt in the morning.

Thanks, again, Son for generously allowing us to have a chance to see and use Randy's work.

Rick

Pensacola Tiger
07-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Here are my impressions of the Dragonslayers.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Pensacola_Tiger/Misc%20Photos/030949ca.jpg?t=1343047643

As I unpacked the three knives, I was struck by their understated yet elegant appearance, in comparison to the photos that Randy had posted in his WIP thread. The months of patina formation had muted the flash of the damascus and the ironwood handles and copper rivets had acquired an antIque appearance that was very attractive.

On first use, I found that the edges needed attention, so out came the Gesshin 6000. I was able to touch up the edge on the gyuto and slicer, but I needed to drop back to a Gesshin 2000 on the parer.

I diced celery with the gyuto and found that I had to “power through” it, rather than have it slice the celery easily as with some of my other gyutos. If it was my knife, I would want to thin it behind the edge to improve performance.

The slicer, on the other hand, was a good performer, probably because it was thinner and not as tall as the gyuto. It was my most liked knife, and made me appreciate the utility of a thin blade of this length for a lot of tasks. It made the job of following the contour of the seed when cutting the flesh of a mango away from the it very easy. It shone at trimming steaks and slicing a roast chicken. The best knife of the trio, in my opinion.
Oddly, the parer is thicker than the slicer, and this negatively affected its performance. Everything from peeling an apple or peach to hulling and slicing strawberries was affected.

In the week or so that I had them, I used them exclusively in my kitchen, and found them to be very pleasing to use. WIth a little tweaking, they will be great.

Thanks again to Son for letting us use Randy’s creations.

Rick

Crothcipt
07-30-2012, 01:59 AM
I got them on Thrs. but have yet to do much with them. It's our busiest week out of the year, and I got a second job washing dishes (hey easy money is all I can say) at a Thai/Sushi restaurant on mon. This also means more funds for knives. Any who I am loving the satchel, am thinking of having a friend who does tack work make me one. The box was very well packed, and was a flash back to christmas as a kid.

Crothcipt
08-09-2012, 04:43 AM
Well first I have to say that I dropped the slicer one day. I have no idea what happened but I turned my back and heard the thunk of it hitting the ground. It hit right under the lanyard hole and created a "chip" in the scale. The lanyard moved and created a crack in the second scale.
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8976&thumb=1&d=1344205409

the crack on the other side.
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8975&thumb=1&d=1344205403

and a total shot of the handle.
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8977&thumb=1&d=1344205414

I have already contacted Son about this.

They are on the way to Heath Besch.

I will do a review in a few days, after I put my thoughts in order.

SpikeC
08-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Ouch! Bummer, dude!

Crothcipt
09-11-2012, 05:59 PM
When I first started posting on kkf Chef Son put these up for the passaround. I being a new member was a little afraid to ask, but I wanted to try out Randy's work. At that time the Zombiebuschef knife was happening. Which got my curiosity on how well his work is. Fast forward a few months. I asked Son if I could get in at the end of the passaround, really wanting to try out Randy's work. Ty so much Son for letting me in on this, it was well worth the wait.

That being said my first reaction when I was unwrapping each knife from the bubble wrap was a complete awe. The wood matched the blade in many areas that you just don't see when looking at pictures. The scabbard is rustic and "worn" looking that is matches the blades very much.98349835

I had a hard time trying to use the scabbard, but I think that it was just me not being used to it. I couldn't figure out how it was supposed to fit. But I am still wanting to have a friend make one for work.

The small pairing knife was almost to small for me to use. It didn't seem sharp to me but it worked well enough it didn't need sharpening. When I get the video done you can see what I mean. I liked it very much and wished it was a little bigger.

The slicer was the best one out of the bunch. It took a mean edge and would do anything you needed it to. Right length and very comfortable in the hand.

The Kiritsuke tipped gyuto was cool looking and mean. It sharpened up very nicely, exp when the "dead spot" showed up at the end of the video. I loved the tip for work with it. It just worked well. In compairason with Butches it is very similar (reflecting back not side by side) in shape but that is about it. I think for this Randy's to be more functional the height at the heel needed to be a little higher. But I am not writing this with it in hand and with memory of each so I won't break that down. Don't get me wrong I loved using this when I got used to how it worked.

In all total I miss these still. I found many ways these could be used and often. I took great pride in just holding each blade and looking at the scabbard, to the feeling of it being American made. Hopefully I will have the video edited and downloaded tonight or early tomorrow.

9836 The bowl of salsa in the back ground is a commercial to the video. 98379838983998409841

Crothcipt
09-12-2012, 07:10 PM
well after some editing and editor software problems I finally got it done and posted this morning. It is a more in action than anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4X-Mkobh9M