PDA

View Full Version : What I am working on

Delbert Ealy
02-28-2011, 09:06 PM
I am currently working on a huge and very ambitious group of projects for the Badger knife club show in janesville, WI. on march 25-27. This is a show I have been doing for a number of years and I think it is the best show in the midwest. I have fun every year.
For the first time anywhere I am going to publish my list of current projects. Most of these are first time projects and I may not have time to get all the bugs worked out, but I sure am going to try.

More carbon damascus gyutos; at leats 3 in 240mm
carbon damascus petty; maybe in several sizes
Carbon damascus parer; I have several designs here in mind
stainless damascus gray kunz spoons, I have one almost done still tweeking the design
stainless damascus spatula
stainless damascus fish tongs
stainless damascus moribashi; the ultimate in awesome moribashi
stainless damascus oyster knife
stainless damascus measuring spoons in tablespoon and teaspoon set.

I don't know how much of this list I will get done in time for the show, but I would like to have at least one of each done. This is a challenging list of things to make by itself, but I will have to make all the damascus for these items as well. I'm glad I like this job!!

I will post pics and for several of these projects I intend to post WIP threads as well.
Thanks,

WildBoar
02-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Can't wait to see these items! There are quite a few things on that list that I hope make it into our kitchen (once it is ready).

Dave Martell
02-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Nice list Del, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. If we could just keep you off of that other project for that David guy. :p

mr drinky
03-01-2011, 12:05 AM
That is a very cool list of items. I'm intrigued by the measuring spoons. Is this also roughly in order of priority?

k.

Inedible Hulk
03-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Curious as to the price on the gray kunz spoons......

Delbert Ealy
03-01-2011, 01:41 AM
Tomorrow I will be working on damascus, I have a billet in progress for knives, but I would also like to get a couple of stainless billets done. One of these is for the moribashi, that is the first item on the list I think I will finish. I do have some damascus done and I may work on some of the other items on the list, I have little pockets of time here and there throughout the day and I usually have 3 or 4 projects going on at once. For the priority question, I will be working all over.
The only pricing that is set for any of the items are the 240mm gyutos, the short answer there is I won't know until they are finished.
Thanks

so_sleepy
03-01-2011, 02:32 AM
Hey Del, we exchanged emails a day or two ago. I'll be giving you a call in a soon about a custom and a couple of ideas I have.

WildBoar
03-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Del, here's another one -- how about a butter knife? Us home cooks don't get to flash our fancy knives, measuring spoons, etc. much for guests, so a cool damascus butter knife on the dining room table might turn into a good conversation piece.

mattrud
03-01-2011, 12:30 PM
I will take one of each!

very ambitious project good luck, I can not wait to see the results

Chef Niloc
03-02-2011, 01:42 AM
Ummm Del if you make a spoon you know I have to get the 1st one right?? it's kind of a unwritten rule.
If you have not yet started working on it let me send you "the best serving spoon" to use as a reference as the kunz spoon has been done already, & I want to keep my reputation as the muses behind all the custom Damascus spoons in the world. Dam were were all you guys 6 years ago when I started on this quest.

Chef Niloc
03-02-2011, 01:48 AM
I know you have seen the one Hoss made me but have you ever seen my 1st one? The one Ariel made for me?
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/celtic2174/Chef%20Nilocs%20Knives/6ee075b3.png

JohnnyChance
03-02-2011, 02:07 AM
Damn, that was looks real nice. How is the size compared to a lg kunz? Does it hold enough to sauce most dishes?

WildBoar
03-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Wow, that spoon is stunning! Looks a little more 'finished' then the DT spoons (edges eased a bit more, etc.). Thanks for taking on these development projects, as they benefit all of us!

Chef Niloc
03-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Aries is a tasting spoon, so its as long as a kunz (9") but the "dish" is a lot smaller, like a soup spoon.
Arie made his by forging it to shape, kind of like how a sliver smith would "chase" a spoon ( but a hell of a lot harder ). Devan uses a press, so that's one reasion they look different. The steel make up is also different Ariel used 304 & 429MB, it has the looks but it won't temper. Hoss put a spring temper to his spoon as I asked for. Hoss's spoon is "cleaner" looking & more refined, Aries is a free form pice of art.

SpikeC
03-02-2011, 10:24 PM
I know you have seen the one Hoss made me but have you ever seen my 1st one? The one Ariel made for me?
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/celtic2174/Chef%20Nilocs%20Knives/6ee075b3.png

That is sooooooo sick!!!

ThEoRy
03-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Damascus measuring cups.

That just happened.

ecchef
03-03-2011, 12:19 AM
That is sooooooo sick!!!

I believe that AES is not taking orders presently.
I like the oyster knife idea; been toying with that myself for a while. Gotta add a matching clam knife though.

Delbert Ealy
03-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Ummm Del if you make a spoon you know I have to get the 1st one right?? it's kind of a unwritten rule.
If you have not yet started working on it let me send you "the best serving spoon" to use as a reference as the kunz spoon has been done already, & I want to keep my reputation as the muses behind all the custom Damascus spoons in the world. Dam were were all you guys 6 years ago when I started on this quest.

Colin,
I will give you the option on the first one I am happy with, and if you want to send me "the best serving spoon" I'll give that a shot too. I think spoons are cool!

Delbert Ealy
03-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Ok gusy heres an update on where I am. I got the first billet of damascus done, 3 more bars gyuto-sized and I got the stainless billet for the moribashi fused and ready to forge down. And then I had another crazy idea, to take some small pieces of damascus and fuse them onto the sides of an existing bar. I spent all day( I was up until 1:30 am working on this) I started with a bar of O-1 and L-6 for the core and added a few more pieces of that mix as well. Then I started adding the small pieces. Layer upon layer of them, about half a dozen at a time. This differs from the way I normally make damascus, I usually start with a big stack and work it until its done. this billet got piesecs a few at a time, but they were finished patterns. I got a look at the outside of the bar a few times while I was working it and I think it will be monster cool. Its kinda like a crazy quilt of patterns. I was hoping that it would be big enough for 2 gyutos, but sadly it is only big enough for one, and maybe a couple of parers or pettys. It was kinda fun and a bit challenging at the same time. Ok now its back to work.

Dave Martell
03-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Crazy quilt? I love it! :)

oivind_dahle
03-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Del:

I loved your rings!
Can you print name inside as well?

Delbert Ealy
03-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Del:

I loved your rings!

I am sorry, I don't do any engraving.
Thanks, rings are what I am working on today, one of my wifes coworkers is getting married next month.

oivind_dahle
03-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Forgive my lack of knowledge.
Any international standard for size?
Can it be engraved from a gold smith in Norway?

Delbert Ealy
03-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Forgive my lack of knowledge.
Any international standard for size?
Can it be engraved from a gold smith in Norway?
There are not international standards for size, however there are american and european standards and if you give me a european standard size I can do the conversion to american. I am comfortable working in mm, most of the jewelry market is moving in that direction.
You should be able to find a goldsmith locally that does engraving, and they could do it easily.
Thanks,

Delbert Ealy
03-03-2011, 09:28 PM
One other thing I forgot to mention, yesterday I got in over 80 lbs of AEB-l for making damascus out of. Now I have plenty to work with for awhile.

Chef Niloc
03-04-2011, 02:13 AM
Del:

I loved your rings!
I need a wedding ring, hmmm would be nice to have one made by on of us nuts.

sudsy9977
03-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Dell I would love to see pics of u working on the rings. I just can't imagine how u make them. ryan

Delbert Ealy
03-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Dell I would love to see pics of u working on the rings. I just can't imagine how u make them. ryan

I am my own photographer, so you don't get many action shots, here is a wip I did awhile ago.

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?603-mokume-tutorial

Eamon Burke
03-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Damascus is the new copper.

Delbert Ealy
03-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Ok.
Time for some harsh reality. What I accomplished this week. Fortunately I had an order for some gold/silver mokume, I filled that order. I spent the rest of the week making damascus for kitchen knives. I finished 7 bars, 2 of those were the crazy quilt pattern, which I think will be majorly cool, but I won't know until they are back from grinding. 3 of the bars are of random pattern similar to what I have done already. 2 of the bars are something else entirely, another new idea I wanted to try. These bars will be sent off for blanchard grinding, while I am waiting for them I will be working on other projects. I did get my stainless damascus billet for moribashi fused as well. I also got over 80 lbs of AEB-L in for making more. Ok so thats what I did this week.
So whats on the board for this week?
I have 3 bars of damascus already ground and ready to make some knives out of, so thats where I will start. I will also be working more on the moribashi.
My goal for the week is to finish those 3 knives and also make some moribashi. Once I get those things done I will work on more stainless damascus for some of the other projects.

Dave Martell
03-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Damn Del, take a break man! :D

Delbert Ealy
03-10-2011, 12:22 AM
I have 3 blades in the tempering oven now. They are 3 more 240mm gyuto blades. they get 2 hours tonight and a slow cool, and another 1 hour temper in the morning. I spent most of the day heat treating those 3 blades, but not all of it. The stainless billet I had fused for moribashi got some more work today. In fact I misjudged the size a bit, it wound up a bit thinner than I had planned on the thick end. I am still palnning to make moribashi out of it, but I will fuse another billet or 2 and work them out as well. while those blades are tempering in the morning I'll cut up some AEB-L and start some new billets. Most of tomorrow will be taken up grinding those blades. I will be happy if those blades are ready for handles at the end of the day tomorrow, although I may wind up doing the hand-finishing friday morning. We got 4-5 inches of snow today, heavy wet stuff good for snowballs. I didn't go anywhere today, I just hope the roads are clear tomorrow, I have some stuff to send out. I also have to pick up supplies for dinner, once the wife figures out what to have for dinner. I'll have to cook dinner tomorrow night as well.

Delbert Ealy
03-13-2011, 03:08 AM
Well I finally finished those 3 gyutos, I got the handles glued up last night and earlier today I finished the handles. I came in for dinner and then went back out to etch the blades. It took quite awhile, but at this stage I am very careful. A small mistake at this stage can ruin all the work I already put into it. I finished them and spent a little time cleaning my shop. Its not a job that I relish, and there is more to be done. I'll post some pics tomorrow, I need to clean off my bench to get my light tent up so I can get some good pics. Along with the 3 gyutos I got a start on my first sujihiki, a 240mm. I know you guys like longer ones, but thats the size stock I had on hand. I'll post some pics of that one when I get it finished as well. The time change is coming up in an hour and I'm tired, time to go to bed.