PDA

View Full Version : SALE - All U Need Strop Kit

Dave Martell
01-16-2012, 02:45 PM
We have all of the components headed our way to make a limited amount of strop kits available. Since we would prefer to make them and ship as soon as we can we're offering them available to pre-order now at a reduced cost.

These kits literally fly out the door as the demand is higher than the supply so please don't hesitate on securing one for yourself if you've been waiting.

Also worth noting is that we've made a change to the diamond spray included. We've switched from 0.25 mic to 1.0 micron. The new diamond is still the white Dupont as it was before, however, we were supplied with a different version that does note contain the component that was drying out and curling the leather so those issues are behind us. The new 1 mic diamond spray offers a slight bit more bite to the edge created yet not so much as to make it a completely different product to use and be familiar with. I'm very happy with the solution that the supplier provided us here. You can purchase in total confidence.

Thanks everyone for your support! :thumbsup:

See the ALL U Need Strop Kit (http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/All-U-Need-Strop-Kit-p/allustrop.htm) for details

Dave

Dave Martell
01-16-2012, 02:49 PM
All U Need Strop Kit (http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/All-U-Need-Strop-Kit-p/allustrop.htm)

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3711&d=1326739755

JohnnyChance
01-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Good call on the bump to 1.0 micron.

Is the bottle I have the old version or the new version of the 1.0 micron diamond?

tk59
01-16-2012, 04:26 PM
The old version was blue.

Dave Martell
01-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Good call on the bump to 1.0 micron.

Is the bottle I have the old version or the new version of the 1.0 micron diamond?

You have the same diamond but with the stuff in it that curls the new leather.

Dave Martell
01-16-2012, 04:47 PM
The old version was blue.

You're correct, Johnny has some Dupont white 1 mic that I had tried a while back and never went with it.

ejd53
01-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks Dave, just put in my order.

Dave Martell
01-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks Dave, just put in my order.

Awesome - thanks Ed!

ThEoRy
01-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Dave, if you could have the .25 micron without the drying ingredient that curled the leather which would you prefer the .25 or the 1 micron? Is it a huge difference in final performance? Or is it simply a different strokes for different folks kinda thing?

Dave Martell
01-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Dave, if you could have the .25 micron without the drying ingredient that curled the leather which would you prefer the .25 or the 1 micron? Is it a huge difference in final performance? Or is it simply a different strokes for different folks kinda thing?

I'd take either or in this stuff but I'd have to say that I'm being won over (slightly) by the 1mic. I have always preferred 1mic in most brand's mono diamond but once I got this Dupont poly I was able to get more bite from a finer grade and that's why I went with the 0.25mic. So now we have 1mic poly and that should be as good or better. To be truthful it's sort of splitting hairs here.

Andrew H
01-16-2012, 11:31 PM
To be truthful it's sort of splitting hairs here.

Nothing stings like a pun. :D

Eamon Burke
01-16-2012, 11:37 PM
Aren't there carbides in some steels, like VG-10 that are bigger than .25 micron? In that case, you wouldn't want to use a super aggressive compound like poly in a grit finer than that, or it would encourage carbide popout.

tk59
01-17-2012, 01:55 AM
The smallest average carbide size I've heard of is on the order of 1 micron. Most stainless steels have much larger chromium carbide clusters, some on the order of a hundred microns. I have a feeling that strops don't really do a whole lot in terms of loss of carbides compared to embedding the edge in wood (or food) repeatedly.

ThEoRy
01-17-2012, 02:33 AM
To be truthful it's sort of splitting hairs here.

Mmmmm that is what we do here no? :biggrin:

If I ever run low I'll definitely try the new stuff.

Dave Martell
01-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Yeah just don't ditch the 0.25mic to buy some of this new stuff as it's not necessary unless you're going to a new style leather pad. I definitely wouldn't advise buying it just to try.

unkajonet
01-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Was there ever a workaround for the new pads with the old spray? I still have a full bottle left of the .25 micron stuff, and some of the new pads coming in.

ThEoRy
01-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Nah don't worry I won't, I still have quite a bit left from when I took your class like 14 months ago. Stuff lasts a while. But now if I did run out, would you advise against spraying the new stuff on my old felt and leather pads? Would I need fresh pads as not to mix the two together or does it not matter?

Dave Martell
01-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Nah don't worry I won't, I still have quite a bit left from when I took your class like 14 months ago. Stuff lasts a while. But now if I did run out, would you advise against spraying the new stuff on my old felt and leather pads? Would I need fresh pads as not to mix the two together or does it not matter?

The new stuff is backwards compatible so you're OK to use it on the felt pad and old style leather pad. Spraying over the old diamond stuff and mixing them together like this is not a problem.

The only issue is using the old spray with new style leather - that's no good.

Dave Martell
01-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Was there ever a workaround for the new pads with the old spray? I still have a full bottle left of the .25 micron stuff, and some of the new pads coming in.

You can't use the 0.25 mic spray with these new leather pads, the old spray will dry and curl the leather within a day or so.

Dave Martell
01-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Update>

I received word that the Lacewood bases will be replaced with a new heavier granite base in the future. This is a nice change in some ways but cost isn't one of them. The new base will add at least $20 to the price of the kits plus shipping will be more as well. This means that after these Lacewood bases/kits are sold there will not be anymore available and then the price will increase to approximately $120-130.

I'm bringing this up here as a heads up for you to get one of the Lacewood strop kits (http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/product-p/allustrop.htm) before they're gone and to get it now while its on sale.

Dave

Dave Martell
02-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Today is the last day for this sale. Thanks to all of you who made purchases! :)

Dave

HHH Knives
02-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Dave, I just wanted to say thank you again brother for the all you need strop kit. Its a great addition and has been very helpful in my sharpening process!

Dave Martell
02-02-2012, 04:00 PM
I'm glad to hear that it's helped you Randy :)

mc2442
02-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Will there be any leather available for sale soon? Any left over after the full kits, which I already have, are filled?

hax9215
02-02-2012, 10:27 PM
I once attempted to glue a piece of sole leather to the top of a carpenter's tool box to strop my ice chisels, it will be interesting to see how this works with the proper equipment. This entire KKF schema is turning into validation of years-old beliefs and practices; Ihad the whole kitchen laughing at me in 1983 for making a sheath with a belt clip for my line knife! Any suggestions on who can re-handle my forthcoming Gesshin Hide?

Hax CLEAVERS RULE!!!:D

Dave Martell
02-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Will there be any leather available for sale soon? Any left over after the full kits, which I already have, are filled?

Yup, we'll have leather pads available as soon as I can put it all up on the website, shouldn't be more than a day or two. Thanks for asking! :)

Tristan
02-03-2012, 05:49 AM
@%%$&!*@ - Am I too late again??? I'm going to order one now

Tristan
02-03-2012, 05:52 AM
FML - it is out of stock again. How much is it when it is on sale? If there is a set available, seriously, this one needs to be set aside for me Dave. I missed it 3 times?!

My fault yes I know. Please?

Dave Martell
02-04-2012, 08:38 PM
I've got all the pieces here to make up the kits so as long as I don't screw up they should all ship out on Monday.

Thanks everyone! :)