PDA

View Full Version : Mashed potatoes without milk/cream?

Kyle
01-25-2012, 05:39 PM
My stupid roommate is allergic to dairy (not just lactose intolerant) so I'm looking for a good mashed potatoes recipe that doesn't use milk or cream. He can eat butter, but he can't touch milk or cream. I did googling and I see suggestions ranging from soy milk to water to chicken stock. Is there a good milk free way to do it or should I just stick with baked or roasted potatoes?

apicius9
01-25-2012, 05:46 PM
One of my favorites is to add some nice olive oil, a bit of lemon juice, and some sage, thin with a touch of stock/broth if necessary (but that just means you didn't use enough oil ;) ). I leave it a little lumpy, more like lightly smashed potatoes. Great with fish or chicken.

Stefan

WildBoar
01-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Stefan pretty much covered a couple good options.

Olive oil (plus some fresh herbs) is great, but leave the potatoes a more smashed then mashed. And a prep with stock works well with a finer mash (and can supplement with some parmigano or other grated hard cheese).

stevenStefano
01-25-2012, 05:56 PM
I never put milk or cream in mine. Just butter and salt and pepper and it tastes great. Why make it more complicated than you need to?

Andrew H
01-25-2012, 05:59 PM
I never put milk or cream in mine. Just butter and salt and pepper and it tastes great. Why make it more complicated than you need to?

If the roommate is allergic to dairy butter won't do.
Olive oil works, but really nothing is as good as butter + cream.

bikehunter
01-25-2012, 06:01 PM
There are those who feel that mashed potatoes without milk or cream aren't worth any bother at all. Use the potatoes for something else. ;-)

Kyle
01-25-2012, 06:03 PM
If the roommate is allergic to dairy butter won't do.
Olive oil works, but really nothing is as good as butter + cream.

Actually, butter is fine, but milk and and most cheeses are not. I guess it's some bacteria that is present in milk that he is allergic too but butter isn't an issue.

Andrew H
01-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Actually, butter is fine, but milk and and most cheeses are not. I guess it's some bacteria that is present in milk that he is allergic too but butter isn't an issue.

Oops, should've read your OP more carefully. Lucky for him that he can have butter.

ajhuff
01-25-2012, 06:25 PM
I have not tried it with potatoes but I have had some success in replacing dairy with soy yogurt.

-AJ

bikehunter
01-25-2012, 06:29 PM
I s'pose sour cream or cream cheese won't work for him, as well?

Kyle
01-25-2012, 06:33 PM
I s'pose sour cream or cream cheese won't work for him, as well?

Nope!

I may just stick with baked potatoes.

Johnny.B.Good
01-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Nope!

Or find a new roommate. ;)

Kyle
01-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Or find a new roommate. ;)

haha

When he goes out of town or if we just know he won't be eating dinner with us that night, my other roommate and I always go crazy with cheese dishes-- mac & cheese, nachos, etc. Basically just junk food that we wouldn't normally make when he is home.

bikehunter
01-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Nope!

Well, if YOU like mashed potatoes a lot, there's no reason why you can't take a large baked potato and mash it with butter, milk/cream and let your roommate eat it baked....and deal with his own deprivation. ;-) I only suggest this as I couldn't LIVE without mashed potatoes. <g>

ThEoRy
01-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Crushed yukon gold potatoes.

Start with the yukon gold potatoes skin on, some whole shallots a few thyme sprigs, salt and pepper in a pot with cold water.

Turn the heat on high and bring up to a boil. Once it starts to boil, turn it off and let the potatoes sit in the hot water till done. Strain, then cool.

Now I take the potatoes and push them through a cross wire rack like this... http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51-36YQZ0YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now to reheat, put some extra virgin olive oil in a pot, cast iron if you have it, the crushed potatoes, and season with kosher salt and fresh white pepper. Turn it up and heat thoroughly. It's nice when you get the crispy caramelized bits on the bottom so don't worry, that's exactly what you want.

Simple, fast, delicious. Enjoy!

bikehunter
01-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Sound delicious...simple and fast? Not so much. ;-)

ThEoRy
01-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Sound delicious...simple and fast? Not so much. ;-)

Extremely simple, and faster than traditional mash.

bikehunter
01-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Whatever. I wish we lived close enough for a little contest. ;-)

apicius9
01-25-2012, 07:08 PM
I see a video coming....

stereo.pete
01-25-2012, 07:19 PM
I've never had any complaints from friends and family when I was on a health kick and used low sodium chicken stock in place of heavy creme. Chicken stock + Butter + mashed potatoes = very tasty.

Eamon Burke
01-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Just beat up the potatoes and leave them be. Butter yours on your plate, or scoop roomie's out and finish yours properly(that's what I do. My wife is off eggs, dairy and gluten. It's tough.).

If you can , Mountain King has a variety called King Rustic. They are AMAZINGLY creamy potatoes, if you can find them. They are seasonal or special order or something like that.

Johnny.B.Good
01-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Extremely simple, and faster than traditional mash.

That does sound good.

Stefan's solution sounds pretty good too.

Johnny.B.Good
01-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Lucky for him that he can have butter.

Now that's a nice "glass half full" attitude. ;)

WildBoar
01-25-2012, 07:46 PM
D'oh -- glad Theory pointed out to use Yukon Golds for the olive oil prep :whistling:

bikehunter
01-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Yukon Golds are, for me at least, the ONLY thing for mashed, no matter what your recipe. ;-).

ThEoRy
01-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Whatever. I wish we lived close enough for a little contest. ;-)

What would the contest be, who could boil water faster? I hope you don't live in Colorado :)

If you want them done even faster, just don't cool them down. Strain em and press em straight through the grate.

It really is super easy and way faster than mashed potatoes though, you should try it. No peeling, no cutting, just throw it all in a pot and start working on something else.

Andrew H
01-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Now that's a nice "glass half full" attitude. ;)

If I couldn't have cream, milk (and cheese?) I would need to have a glass half full attitude.

bikehunter
01-25-2012, 08:15 PM
What would the contest be, who could boil water faster? I hope you don't live in Colorado :)

If you want them done even faster, just don't cool them down. Strain em and press em straight through the grate.

It really is super easy and way faster than mashed potatoes though, you should try it. No peeling, no cutting, just throw it all in a pot and start working on something else.

Nope...Idaho. Except for Yukon Gold, We are too far apart anyhow ThEoRy. I can't imagine the creamy goodness I want in mashed potatoes by pressing them thru a grate, and without some dairy of some kind (butter is a given). And, for the same reason, I would NEVER leave them unpeeled. Shrug

Diamond G
01-25-2012, 08:16 PM
I dont know if this would work for your friend, but Ive used dry coffee creamer, butter salt and pepper for whipped potatoes. Worked great for me, and I think its non dairy creamer!

God Bless
Mike

ThEoRy
01-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Well, it's an alternative to whipped potatoes really. The skins mostly get caught by the grate and don't pass through. This is really more of a rustic side dish I suppose. But it's nice for a change of pace without all the heaviness of cream and butter.

bikehunter
01-25-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm sure yours are delicious. I like potatoes of most any kind, if they're prepared well. I don't find cream and butter heavy at all. ;-)

SpikeC
01-25-2012, 08:53 PM
A little chix stock and butter, what the heck else do you need? Sound just fine to me!

bikehunter
01-25-2012, 08:57 PM
clearly everyone has their individual tastes and preferences.

SpikeC
01-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Yes, except mine are correct and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong!

bikehunter
01-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Oh damn...I forgot about that. What was I thinking? I wonder if Pirsig would agree?

UCChemE05
01-25-2012, 09:03 PM
I feel your pain. My brother is law is allergic to all dairy products (some more than others). Last time I had to make them with margarine. I used some garlic salt to season for salt and some minced garlic. Let it sit for 5-10 min, stirred it again and turned out pretty damn good for what it was.

SpikeC
01-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Oh damn...I forgot about that. What was I thinking? I wonder if Pirsig would agree?

He was the one who told me!

bikehunter
01-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Ah....figures...I always thought of the Buddha when I eat mashed potatoes....well...and gravy...the other godhead of eating.

Kyle
01-25-2012, 09:19 PM
A little chix stock and butter, what the heck else do you need? Sound just fine to me!

I've only ever made them with cream or milk, so I had no idea if chicken stock is a good alternative or just a reasonable dairy free compromise. Admittedly, I'm not even a big mashed potato fan, but every now and then I get in the mood for some good mashed taters.

I gotta say I really like the sound of ThEoRy's crushed Yukon Gold method. It sounds like the perfect side dish for many of the simple, rustic dishes I like to make.

Kyle
01-25-2012, 09:21 PM
I also think it's interesting how lively a discussion about mashed potatoes can get!

bikehunter
01-25-2012, 09:24 PM
I also think it's interesting how lively a discussion about mashed potatoes can get!

So many people love them...If not...worship...in my case. ;-)

Salty dog
01-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Shoot him.

bikehunter
01-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Shoot him.

A solution with less dire consequences would be to let the SOB cook his own meals. Works for me.

littleroundman
01-26-2012, 12:25 AM
Try breaking in 2 eggs and adding salt and pepper.

JohnnyChance
01-26-2012, 12:51 AM
Do you have a food mill? When I run my hot potatoes (skins on, I don't have time to peel them and the mill doesn't let them pass through anyway) through the food mill, I add chunks of room temperature butter as I go. It's almost like making beurre blanc or hollandaise, the butter melts and kinda emulsifies as the potatoes and butter chunks get milled, and you cant add a TON of butter this way. So much that you hardly need cream anyway. If I were to make some milk/cream free, I would do it this way, use mostly butter and then use some extra virgin olive oil and a splash of stock if they need to be thinned more. You won't miss the cream/milk.

Lucretia
01-26-2012, 11:14 AM
I see some smashed yukon golds in my future. Sounds great!

El Pescador
01-26-2012, 02:10 PM
olive oil salt pepper ton o garlic

TB_London
01-26-2012, 04:56 PM
would mayo work instead?

joec
01-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Here is one of my favorite and can be served as a potato salad or hot. I like them both ways. Amount of ingredients is also to your taste as measurements are really unimportant as it depends on how many potatoes. I do it by guess myself as most of my cooking is done.

Mustard Potato Salad

Potatoes, boiled until tender and diced
Hardboiled eggs, chopped
Celery, chopped
Red onion, chopped
Salad olives w/pimientos, chopped
Prepared mustard (brown, spiced, yellow what ever you prefer)
Miracle Whip or Mayonnaise
Salt and pepper

This is the way my mother made potato salad, so I still do it the same way. I love the olives and red onions in it. There are no set amounts for ingredients. This is just a mix-and-taste type recipe. I like a lot of "stuff" in mine, and I like a lot of mustard.

Mix the potatoes, eggs, celery, onion, and olives together. Add some mustard and Miracle Whip. Mix and taste. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add more mustard and Miracle Whip as needed.