PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Do?

Salty dog
01-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Just for the sake of discussion.

I received this bar of damascus from Devin. (Thanks again Devin!) It measures 20 inches by 39mm. I have made my plans but what would YOU do and WHO would do it? Money is no object.

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a442/Saltys_knives/dtbar.jpg

oivind_dahle
01-28-2012, 07:24 AM
2 x suji or 1 x suji + 1 x petty if you wanna make knives :)

2012 is the year of the suji you know :)

cnochef
01-28-2012, 07:48 AM
14" scimitar with matching 6" boning knife!!!

Or, if you think 39mm is not wide enough for a scimitar, how about something really unique like a 14" ham/salmon slicer (never seen that done in a full custom) and a 6" utility/picnic knife in the French peasant style .

Marko Tsourkan
01-28-2012, 08:13 AM
For a scimitar you need more height, as the blade curves up. 39mm is not tall enough.

I try to avoid waste as much as possible (Devin's steel is just to pretty to waste), so if I had 20" bar, I would make two knives out of it. Laying them out so tangs overlap, you have about 15.5-16" of steel for blades. That would enough for a suji and a petty, a suji and a boning knife, two mid-size sujis and so forth.

If tangs are welded, you have about 18" of steel to work with.

M

Twistington
01-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Suji for sure(270mm or so) and the remaing bar would make a petty in whatever length i would be able to squeeze in.

kalaeb
01-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Form it in a bracelet for my wife and a suji for me.

Great looking bar.

WildBoar
01-28-2012, 10:15 AM
That pattern, to me, would look best on a blade as wide as you can keep it. I'd lean towards a suji, or maybe a longish petty (210?), and with the rest maybe have a neck knife or fixed blade hunting knife made. Cost-is-no-object would steer me to the guy who made the damascus in the first place. But I would also give strong consideration to Pierre Rodrigue, as he has made many examples of those types of knives. And if you want knives with a little more flair, I would consider HHH.

There are so many talented makers on the Board now it's tough to choose!

tk59
01-28-2012, 11:10 AM
...I try to avoid waste as much as possible (Devin's steel is just to pretty to waste), so if I had 20" bar, I would make two knives out of it. Laying them out so tangs overlap, you have about 15.5-16" of steel for blades. That would enough for a suji and a petty, a suji and a boning knife, two mid-size sujis and so forth.

If tangs are welded, you have about 18" of steel to work with.

M+1 Although I'd consider a shorter gyuto/suji hybrid deal, if it fits. To me, the WHO part of it is a no brainer. You're going to want Devin's HT. I don't think his grind is bad, either. On the handles, I also like Devin's elegant and clean-looking wa-handles. For western, I'd go with Rader maybe, if he'd do it, or possibly HHH, as long as you don't plan on storing it in a knife block.

Cadillac J
01-28-2012, 11:16 AM
2012 is the year of the suji you know :)

Not true, suji has been king for many...you are just now catching up :D

Eamon Burke
01-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Petty + pocket knife. But I've got EDCs on the brain.

El Pescador
01-28-2012, 01:21 PM
Suji and break levers for the Harley.

tk59
01-28-2012, 01:25 PM
+1 Although I'd consider a shorter gyuto/suji hybrid deal, if it fits. To me, the WHO part of it is a no brainer. You're going to want Devin's HT. I don't think his grind is bad, either. On the handles, I also like Devin's elegant and clean-looking wa-handles. For western, I'd go with Rader maybe, if he'd do it, or possibly HHH, as long as you don't plan on storing it in a knife block.Racial or offensive terminology? Thanks, Johnny... NICE. Anyway, I'm amending my response. I'd grind a knife or two out of it myself and if I screwed up, I'd ask Hoss nicely to save my a$$. :)

ThEoRy
01-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Suji and a petty. If there's any left over then maybe a straight razor.

Andrew H
01-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Racial or offensive terminology? Thanks, Johnny... NICE. Anyway, I'm amending my response. I'd grind a knife or two out of it myself and if I screwed up, I'd ask Hoss nicely to save my a$$. :)

The bar better be pretty thick :D
I'd get a long suji and hopefully a petty out of it. Having Hoss make it seems appropriate.

RRLOVER
01-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Suji and break levers for the Harley.

I have been dreaming of Dammy Harley parts for a while.I could see a HUGE market for it,way cooler then chrome.I would say you can do a suji or try your hand at some jewelry.

ThEoRy
01-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Scott,

If you don't mind my asking, what exactly are your plans for this piece?

Regards,
Rick