PDA

View Full Version : Hi! From Portland Maine- the culinary Mecca of the North East:)

brainsausage
02-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Just wanted to say hi to all you other knife-knuts. I've been observing this forum as well as Knifeforums 'In the Kitchen' forum for awhile, and I thought it was time to take part once in awhile. I'm currently the newly christened Sous-Chef at Local 188 Restaurant, in Portland Maine. I'm lucky to be surrounded by a crew of fun, creative, and truly talented people. As well as a thriving local food community. We have some truly amazing, and stellar eateries in this little town, multiple James Beard winners and nominees. It's really a wonderful time to be a chef, not only here in Portland, but across America. Particularly in regards to the amazing steel available to us ply our trade with now days:thumbsup: I look forward to sharing my addiction with you fellow addicts:spiteful:

SpikeC
02-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Welcome to the Knut House, Brain, from the other Portland!

JMJones
02-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Welcome, I am a little up the road in Bangor.

brainsausage
02-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Welcome to the Knut House, Brain, from the other Portland!
Thanks Spike!

brainsausage
02-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Welcome, I am a little up the road in Bangor.

Hi! Are you employed at any of the local eateries, by any chance?

Deckhand
02-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Welcome! Spent a summer in Westbrook and caught striped bass at old orchard beach. Gotta love a place where even McDonald's serves lobster. :biggrin:

Johnny.B.Good
02-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Welcome!

Hope you'll share some pictures of your collection. Impressive.

SpikeC
02-06-2012, 07:45 PM
multiple James Beard winners and nominees. :

Of course, you know that James Beard was from Portland, Oregon!

brainsausage
02-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Welcome!

Hope you'll share some pictures of your collection. Impressive.

Thanks Johnny! I feel a little light in the knife bag compared to your set up :biggrin: I'd love to post some pics, but I'm using a iPhone 4s as both my only camera/sole means to interact with the interwebs... I'm a little ignorant in this regard- but can I download pics straight from my phone somehow? Or do I have to use a hosting site? And if so- is there any you'd reccomend?

SpikeC
02-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Picassa works well for me. Free and simple to use.

brainsausage
02-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Of course, you know that James Beard was from Portland, Oregon!

I actually didn't know that... Dammit! Someday we'll be known as something besides 'the other Portland' or 'the place where Lobsters come from' or 'the city that Bourdain completely neglected on No Reservations' :razz:

brainsausage
02-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Picassa works well for me. Free and simple to use.

Nice! Thanks!

Johnny.B.Good
02-06-2012, 08:09 PM
I have seen some pretty good pictures taken with an iPhone, but you'll have to host them somewhere before sharing here.

I recommend Picasa.

http://picasa.google.com/

brainsausage
02-06-2012, 08:14 PM
I have seen some pretty good pictures taken with an iPhone, but you'll have to host them somewhere before sharing here.

I recommend Picasa.

http://picasa.google.com/

Thanks for the link Johnny, I'll check it out.

Johnny.B.Good
02-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Spike beat me to it. My father knows next to nothing about computers and he uses Picasa frequently. You'll figure it out.

As for my knives, I'm lucky enough to have some nice things, but don't feel that I deserve them (yet). I would trade any one of them for half the skills that you pros possess in the kitchen. I have a lot of learning to do, but this is a great place to do it. Fun place to do it too.

sachem allison
02-06-2012, 08:29 PM
welcome!

Deckhand
02-06-2012, 08:29 PM
I actually didn't know that... Dammit! Someday we'll be known as something besides 'the other Portland' or 'the place where Lobsters come from' or 'the city that Bourdain completely neglected on No Reservations' :razz:
Sorry no offense intended. Wish California had better seafood i.e. maine lobster, crab cakes, etc.

sachem allison
02-06-2012, 08:30 PM
As for my knives, I'm lucky enough to have some nice things, but don't feel that I deserve them (yet). I would trade any one of them for half the skills that you pros possess in the kitchen. I have a lot of learning to do, but this is a great place to do it. Fun place to do it too.[/QUOTE]
whatcha got? i'll trade you for some pro restuarant skills.:spiteful::angel2:

brainsausage
02-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Spike beat me to it. My father knows next to nothing about computers and he uses Picasa frequently. You'll figure it out.

As for my knives, I'm lucky enough to have some nice things, but don't feel that I deserve them (yet). I would trade any one of them for half the skills that you pros possess in the kitchen. I have a lot of learning to do, but this is a great place to do it. Fun place to do it too.
I've been poking around here for a bit, and this seems like a fun, good natured, helpful bunch. I've frequented some other non-knife forums that were anything but enjoyable.
The greatest thing about playing with food IMO- is there is always something new to learn. Be it a new flavor combo, playing with textural contrasts, discovering old/new techniques, or just refining your julienne. As long as you never stop learning, you'll never grow bored. Which changes your job into a passion, which in turn makes life in the kitchen pretty awesome:)

Johnny.B.Good
02-06-2012, 08:36 PM
whatcha got? i'll trade you for some pro restuarant skills.:spiteful::angel2:

If you were not on the wrong coast, I might take you up on the offer. How about my Sab paring knife for an hour long knife skills or sharpening lesson? ;)

I took a 12-week series of "basic" cooking classes at Viking years ago (I was less serious about cooking then than I am now) and enjoyed it, but think it would be fun to have a few private or semi-private lessons with a pro.

brainsausage
02-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Sorry no offense intended. Wish California had better seafood i.e. maine lobster, crab cakes, etc.

Absolutely none taken. I wasn't pointing any fingers by any means. Just poking fun at our little town's big ego more than anything else:)

brainsausage
02-06-2012, 08:39 PM
welcome!

Thanks, nice to be here!

brainsausage
02-06-2012, 08:44 PM
If you were not on the wrong coast, I might take you up on the offer. How about my Sab paring knife for an hour long knife skills or sharpening lesson? ;)

I took a 12-week series of "basic" cooking classes at Viking years ago (I was less serious about cooking then than I am now) and enjoyed it, but think it would be fun to have a few private or semi-private lessons with a pro.

I could teach you how to swear and drink, all the pros I know excel at that;)

sachem allison
02-06-2012, 08:45 PM

I would do it for free, but I'm not good at sharpening anymore, hands don't work right. lol never get rid of the sabatier paring knife good ones are hard to find.

sachem allison
02-06-2012, 08:46 PM
That's what I was going to teach him.

brainsausage
02-06-2012, 08:55 PM
That's what I was going to teach him.

Maybe we should compare styles sometime:)

PierreRodrigue
02-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you will find you will be right at home here!

Eamon Burke
02-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Welcome! Good to have more Chefs I can visit when I inevitably vacation in the Pacific Northwest.

brainsausage
02-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you will find you will be right at home here!

Thanks Pierre! I've received a very warm welcome!

brainsausage
02-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Welcome! Good to have more Chefs I can visit when I inevitably vacation in the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks Burke! And I appreciate the sentiment but I'm on the Atlantic side;) But if you're ever floating around New England...

Johnny.B.Good
02-06-2012, 09:51 PM

Thank you for the generous offer, but I spent four years in a fraternity at the University of Oregon. Swearing and drinking are a problem, not the problem.

Good to have more Chefs I can visit when I inevitably vacation in the Pacific Northwest.

Wrong Portland. ;)

Eamon Burke
02-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Whoa. I read "portland oregon" and "north west".

Yeah, 13 hour Monday shift it was.
:theline:

Dave Martell
02-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Welcome to KKF! :)

brainsausage
02-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Whoa. I read "portland oregon" and "north west".

Yeah, 13 hour Monday shift it was.
:theline:

That'll do it;)

brainsausage
02-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Welcome to KKF! :)

Thanks Dave! And thanks for the beautiful job on my Ino!

Johnny.B.Good
02-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks Dave! And thanks for the beautiful job on my Ino!

Why don't you go figure out Picasa so we can all see what a beautiful job Dave did on your Ino! ;)

Unless of course Dave has some pictures of it that he would be kind enough to share here... New handle? Super sharp? Both?

JMJones
02-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Hi! Are you employed at any of the local eateries, by any chance?

No, the knife stuff is a hobby not a career.

brainsausage
02-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Why don't you go figure out Picasa so we can all see what a beautiful job Dave did on your Ino! ;)

Unless of course Dave has some pictures of it that he would be kind enough to share here... New handle? Super sharp? Both?
Super sharp, and an amazing tip repair. If my knives weren't at work I'd be tempted to get some pics up... I promise within the next few days I'll get some up. Probably won't be til Thursday or Friday though. I have a bunch of projects in the works- housemade bacon, pancetta, chourico, pork rillettes, pork belly terrine, all on top of the regular day to day stuff- stocks, specials, soups, etc. gotta stay busy, idle hands and all that ;)

brainsausage
02-06-2012, 11:11 PM
No, the knife stuff is a hobby not a career.

Gotcha, didn't know if maybe we'd run into eachother. You should come check out Local 188 if you haven't already...

JMJones
02-06-2012, 11:19 PM
I will have to, I will actually be in Portland in a few days for the evening.................... for Disney on Ice:eek2:.

brainsausage
02-07-2012, 12:55 PM
I will have to, I will actually be in Portland in a few days for the evening.................... for Disney on Ice:eek2:.

Yikes! Dare I ask why?!?!!??

Pensacola Tiger
02-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Welcome! My college roommate was a "Maine-iac". He used to listen to "Bert and I ..." for hours on end when he got homesick.

Rick

JMJones
02-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Yikes! Dare I ask why?!?!!??

Three year old son and a little girl on the way, the Dad Life...

http://youtu.be/fZa7hU6tP_s

not sure how to embed the vid