PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Natural Stones

Mint427
02-06-2012, 09:14 PM
I have visited several site vendors and saw that J. natural stones are offered for sale. Some are pretty expensive and look great. Do folks sharpen/finish German SS knives using these stones? Are they reserved for carbon knives only? I'm using Beston now which seems to work great -- my wife wants to buy me a stone (:

memorael
02-06-2012, 09:33 PM
I wouldn't particularly recommend a Jnat for SS. Also I don't think Jnats are something everyone should own, since they are quite expensive and also finicky on which steel and on technique too. I do find however that carbon steels like white and blue react better to most Jnat's but in my opinion nothing that's really needed in most cases.

mainaman
02-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Jnats certainly work just fine on Stainless, if you have the funds and want to experience a Jnat by any means go for it.

cwrightthruya
02-07-2012, 12:06 PM
I agree with mainaman. J-nats are excellent for almost everything. But, with that said, I have not had the greatest success using J-nats on VG-10 or ZDP (could just be the PITA steel though). Everything else has worked magnificently.
I would also add that I have seen my best results on wide beveled knives (in my case clad carbon), where I can coax out each stones properties, and make them really shine.

memorael
02-07-2012, 12:44 PM
I have used several Jnats on several stainless knives and the edges are no where as good as using an artificial stone. Maybe you are just better at sharpening than I am so is there something special that you do to your stones or something. I would not recommend Jnats on stainless steels at least the ones used in:
suisin inox honyaki, Hattori FH knives, A Type knives and VG-10.

mainaman
02-07-2012, 01:00 PM
I have never had a problem with VG-10, I have honed many razors w/e the stainless steel they use, I am sure it depends on the stones used too.

cwrightthruya
02-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Oh... Not razors...Those are a completely different story...:). I was speaking strictly for the mostly softer stones (lv 4 max, as a finisher), I use to sharpen my kitchen knives. I just find with those particular softer stones, that I abrade away much more stone than I would like to in the process. Thats just me being stingy with my expensive stones (haha). However, it does eventually put a great edge on for me.

Razors on the other hand. Regardless of steel type, I have not found anything that I like better for a straight razor than a good quality Lv5+ Jnat.

But, I agree, I think it heavily depends on the stones used...probably as well as the technique.

BTW...If your wife wants to buy you a stone..You are a lucky man!! Definitely take her up on it.:)

mainaman
02-07-2012, 02:28 PM
I know, I have used my stones on knives too, but the point is if one can get a razor sharp enough on a Jnat then one can get an edge on a knife too, provided the correct stone is used.

JohnnyChance
02-08-2012, 01:53 PM
I have visited several site vendors and saw that J. natural stones are offered for sale. Some are pretty expensive and look great. Do folks sharpen/finish German SS knives using these stones? Are they reserved for carbon knives only? I'm using Beston now which seems to work great -- my wife wants to buy me a stone (:

You have just one stone right now? A Beston 500? What knives do you have, just german stainless, or some others too?

If all I had were german knives and a Beston 500, I would definitely NOT get a jnat. You could get a synthetic finishing stone AND a new knife for the price of most jnats, plus I doubt a german stainless knife would be able to make use of the benefits of a natural stone.

maxim
02-08-2012, 02:13 PM
+1 on that

You have just one stone right now? A Beston 500? What knives do you have, just german stainless, or some others too?

If all I had were german knives and a Beston 500, I would definitely NOT get a jnat. You could get a synthetic finishing stone AND a new knife for the price of most jnats, plus I doubt a german stainless knife would be able to make use of the benefits of a natural stone.

Mint427
02-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Just thinking of the german steel; I'm getting some Japanese knives soon, so I think I'll follow the advice that I've seen here. The 500, 1200, & 5000 synthetics should handle it all wouldn't you think? BTW, hearing from you guys really helps the new guys...thanks!