PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Hankotsu

ThEoRy
02-09-2012, 04:47 AM
Abridged for time but I think I hit all of the important aspects I hope. Not to disappointed with the first sharpening video I've uploaded. Let me know what y'all think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqEkSHJkQaQ&feature=youtu.be

ajhuff
02-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Thanks! I will try some of your tips there as I have struggled sharpening mine. Since I have never been happy with the edge, I have never been happy using the knife. Good incentive for me to pull it out of the drawer and try again.

-AJ

mdale13
02-09-2012, 11:16 AM
That was hugely informative, and will give me a fair boost of confidence when I go to sharpen my hankotsu for the first time. Thanks so much!

We're you stropping with the same level of micron paste the whole time?

eto
02-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Great vid man. Thanks for sharing, not to many of those video's on Hankotsu sharpening out there.

mpukas
02-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Questions;

Since the hankotsu doesn't have a heel, does the bevel width change along the length of the balde?
You strop on charged felt to debur after each stone, even after running the edge thru the felt block - do you feel it is really that effective? Is your intention only to debur by doing this?

Nice vid - thanks for making it! Cheers! mpp

ThEoRy
02-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Yeah, you can see it pretty good at 4:05, it kind of tapers down. That's just the way the knife is. I suppose the bevel is cut deeper into the steel near the tip and tapers out near the "heel".

Yup, just de-burring on .25 poly diamond. I feel it helps. Stropping between and after really took my game up another level. Dave's class was really informative on this subject.

Cadillac J
02-09-2012, 05:33 PM
You strop on charged felt to debur after each stone, even after running the edge thru the felt block - do you feel it is really that effective?

I do this too, always with great results.