PDA

View Full Version : A Work of Art

Keith Neal
02-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Randy:

I just received Meteorite/Mammoth, and am sort of stunned. It is too georgous for words. For some years I have been looking for a work of art that suited me, and have finally found it.

It has been a delight working with you and is even more of a delight to finally hold it.

Thank you for your skill and imagination to develop such a piece.

Keith

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m580/nealkeith/MeteoriteMammoth2.jpg

oivind_dahle
02-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Nice

How does it preform?
Need to see some action pics!

Johnny.B.Good
02-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Congratulations Keith.

Deckhand
02-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Congratulations! Definitely one of the most amazing knives ever. Glad it went to a good home.

sachem allison
02-10-2012, 05:03 PM
awesome , have fun!

Pensacola Tiger
02-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Wow! It has a home less than 200 miles from me! I can feel the magic!

Beautiful knife. Congrats, Keith and kudos, Randy!

Rick

HHH Knives
02-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Keith, Thank you sir, for the opportunity to make your knife! This one was so much fun to make. and will always hold a special place in my mind and in my heart!

Im happy to hear it made it to you safely. and that your pleased with the knife.. Now go cut something!! lol :)

Thanks guys for following along on this great adventure! and for the kind words and encouragement!!!

God Bless
Randy

Michael Rader
02-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Beautiful. That turned out great.

-M

mr drinky
02-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Ahh, the owner is revealed. Congrats on the amazing blade.

k.

sachem allison
02-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Nice

How does it preform?
Need to see some action pics!
calm down he just got it today. He needs time to fondle it a little, caress and whisper sweet nothings into her ear. Then he can get a little rough tomorrow and take pics and videos.

Johnny.B.Good
02-11-2012, 12:22 AM
calm down he just got it today. He needs time to fondle it a little, caress and whisper sweet nothings into her ear. Then he can get a little rough tomorrow and take pics and videos.

:rofl2:

RRLOVER
02-11-2012, 10:09 AM
That is just stunning......I don't know if I could bring myself to using it.

Keith Neal
02-11-2012, 11:02 AM
That is just stunning......I don't know if I could bring myself to using it.

I'm having that problem, too. I've got to use it, but it will be difficult! Randy recommended Lustra hard wax to protect the finish while using the knife, which I will do.

HHH Knives
02-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Keith. If you have not already ordered the Lustra wax.. Dont.. PM inbound. :D

Keith Neal
02-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Reaissance wax on the way. Thanks.

Her ladyship is rearranging the kitchen sitting area to show off the Galaxy knife. I'll get some photos when it is complete.

HHH Knives
02-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Thats the stuff!! :D Should help keep it looking great!

Please do post some pictures when you can..

Randy

Keith Neal
02-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Randy:

Her ladyship has settled on the proper place for Galaxy. Where most people have a breakfast nook off the kitchen, we have a sitting area where she can sip champagne while I cook. The knife went to her sitting area. I don't know if I will get it back or not!

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m580/nealkeith/kitchensittingarea.jpg

Thats the stuff!! :D Should help keep it looking great!

Please do post some pictures when you can..

Randy

mr drinky
02-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Very nice. Sitting on a Mies Van der Rohe barcelona chair, sipping champagne and looking a beautiful knife.

k.

Keith Neal
02-21-2012, 05:59 PM
http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m580/nealkeith/Galaxyonboard.jpg

Randy, now I have a problem. I had nearly decided the Galaxy knife was too pretty to use, but I knew you wanted at least a report on how well it performed. So I did a bit of cutting. Now I am in love with it, and want to use it all the time. It is beautifully sharp, nicely balanced and handles perfectly. The most surprising thing was that even potato just falls off the blade. No hint of wanting to stick. Now I want to use it, but can't stand to change that beautiful finish. I may have to buy stock in Renaissance wax!

You made a work of art and a marvelous tool. Thanks!

Keith

HHH Knives
02-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Keith, lol Thats not a bad problem to have. Im happy to hear you finally cut something with it! lol :D And even more so that your happy with the feel and performance. I cut with itt a little B4 doing the final assembly and was pleased with the profile. After the knife was completed and I started taking the specs and seeing exactly where the balance point was.. I was pleasantly surprised at how well balanced the blade was to the handle.

Im sure Im not telling you something you dont already know.. But IMO, The best part about a nice carbon steel blade is its ability to take a super sharp edge. The second best part in my experience.. is the great patina that adds such amazing unique character and colors that develop on the blade with use. I think using this knife will only add another level of cool to the look of this piece!! Whatever you decide. Im just happy you are pleased!

Anyways. Thank you for the photos and the update. It makes my day to know your happy with the knife!

God Bless

tk59
02-22-2012, 11:58 AM
That is definitely an awesome piece of work. As far as stickage is concerned, Keith, you might try waxing some of your other blades, too.

Keith Neal
02-24-2012, 08:04 AM
Very nice. Sitting on a Mies Van der Rohe barcelona chair, sipping champagne and looking a beautiful knife.

k.

People on this forum don't miss much!

HHH Knives
03-03-2012, 12:42 PM
you got that right!! :) These guys dont miss a beat! :)

So Keith, Hows your knife? have you started building a patina yet? I need to see some pictures and any updates on the edge holding etc.. :)

Keith Neal
03-04-2012, 03:06 PM
you got that right!! :) These guys dont miss a beat! :)

So Keith, Hows your knife? have you started building a patina yet? I need to see some pictures and any updates on the edge holding etc.. :)

It is marvelous, Randy. Not being a pro, and not using the knife enough to really test it, I cannot judge edge holding. However, it is super sharp!
Went through a good sized mess of collards in short order. It is a joy to use.

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m580/nealkeith/Galaxycollards.jpg

Likewise the bacon.

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m580/nealkeith/Galaxybacon.jpg

HHH Knives
03-04-2012, 04:04 PM
AWESOME!!!!!!!! Love it. Its great to see this one getting dirty! A knife is suppose to be used and enjoyed IMO!! That's what draws me more and more into the kitchen knife world, You guys use em!! I imagine a 240 gyuto, in a home cooks hands would do more actual cutting in a year then 20 of the knives made for hunting or camping combined!

Thanks for posting the photos!! Made my day to see this one with some food on it!! Im glad to hear that your enjoying the knife!

God Bless YA Keith!