PDA

View Full Version : OOTB edges?

Tristan
02-11-2012, 02:29 AM
noob question: I just decided to add a carter and a masamoto into rotation, and took them out of their boxes.

The odd this is the final edges seem really tiny - 1mm give or take. Even on the carters. Are these microbevels?

After sharpening my edge bevels broaden out significantly. Whilst I can't achieve levels of sharpness that allows the knife to pass through thermal paper standing on its own without a slicing action, I am wondering if there is something to the whole tiny edge thing.

Does anyone here sharpen to only the tiniest edge as well? Or leave much wider bevels?

memorael
02-11-2012, 02:45 AM
tiny edges have to do a lot not only with how you sharpen but how the knife geometry is. For example a very thin knife will have a very tiny edge compared to a thick one. Usually, however, tiny edges mean a larger angle used to sharpen it, larger ones mean larger angles. I wouldn't worry to much about the size of the edge but rather how it performs and if it suits your needs.

tk59
02-11-2012, 03:06 AM
tiny edges have to do a lot not only with how you sharpen but how the knife geometry is. For example a very thin knife will have a very tiny edge compared to a thick one. Usually, however, tiny edges mean a larger angle used to sharpen it, larger ones mean larger angles. I wouldn't worry to much about the size of the edge but rather how it performs and if it suits your needs.+1. My DTITK has a fairly wide bevel on one side while my DT proto has tiny bevels (maybe 0.5 mm).

Benuser
02-11-2012, 07:50 PM
A broad bevel is an indication the knife hasn't been thinned enough behind the edge.