PDA

View Full Version : Shun Classic 300mm Yanagiba

G-rat
02-16-2012, 03:05 PM
This is my first sale on the forums so please ask any questions you feel you need to.

I am selling a used Shun Classic Yanagiba 300mm - $90 shipped.

I know its a Shun...meh? I bought this from Citizen Snips over a year ago. This knife has been barely used since then but before that slayed many a fish in Citizens hands.

It is the VG-10 version and not SG2. It is not especially difficult to sharpen but it is VG-10 if you know what I mean.

I am selling it because I never ever use it. Nothing is wrong with the knife. Citizen just resharpened it a couple of months ago.

I just hate sitting on a blade that gets no use. These sell new for close to $300. I am selling it for so little just to recoup what I paid for it. Citizen kindly let me purchase it from him for $80. So shipping costs are included in the price of the blade.4573457445754576

Sorry for the cruddy photos. I am no photographer and the lighting sucks today.

compaddict
02-16-2012, 04:14 PM
I'll take it!

Vince

Citizen Snips
02-17-2012, 10:38 AM
wow, i loved this knife for what seems like years. it had some great times and is a decent starter yanagi. there are obvious things that most people get turned off of such as vg-10 and shun but really i do think this is a great way to get used to how a yanagi cuts. it gets really sharp (sharper than ive ever gotten any other shun for sure) and because its vg, it holds its edge for quite some time. i think you are going to love this knife vince.

G-rat
02-17-2012, 01:11 PM
This one is currently in process...

compaddict
03-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Nice nice! Thanks!

Vince

Justin0505
03-05-2012, 03:49 PM
This was a nice story to read: an unglamorous but trusty and well loved knife finding a new home.
Also, good on you that you kept the "friend" pricing when passing it on.

I think that people often mistake the popular view that Shuns are priced higher than their competition / less popular options with the misconception that they are "not good. " I think that yanagi looks pretty darn cool. Is it solid vg10 or clad?

slowtyper
03-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Yikes, I would have picked this up for a friend that only likes stainless! Enjoy it!

Citizen Snips
03-05-2012, 06:49 PM
its solid vg10

i would add that this will be the third time this well used (and loved) knife will find a new home. i am happy i bought it, had it glued to my hand for a long time, sold it to my friend, and that he is selling it to someone else.

G-rat
03-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Vince -

Hope ya like it buddy. One night...when I was working my first kitchen job and was prep boy during service in the back I tried skinning about 150lbs of pork back fat with it...lets just say I was wearing 6 gloves on my left hand from cutting myself over and over again...sharp sucker and a good cutter...not soo good for skinning pork fatback though...just a little lesson I learned that night.

tk59
03-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Is it a true single bevel? I have a set of small (solid vg10 pseudo-single bevel) knives that a friend bought off of Woot and then couldn't figure out what to do with. It is sharpened just like a double bevel knife where the left side is not sharpened flat.

G-rat
03-05-2012, 07:10 PM
This one was true single bevel. Concave inner face and uraoshi sharpened flat.

Citizen Snips
03-07-2012, 11:02 AM
if you look at the picture taken of the back you can see where the sharpening took place. i was kinda surprised that it was made like a true single bevel myself when i sharpened it.

i have seen knives like that before. there is a little fish market in town and they sell knives from a company called "myland" and its a single bevel shell that has been sharpened like a german knife at the edge. good part is they are only like $15

compaddict
03-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Just carved up an eighteen pound prime rib last night. Someone asked for a very thin slice...

Vince

Eamon Burke
03-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Nice. Finding a stainless Yanagiba is one thing, but finding a Yanagiba with an integral bolster is something else! Say what you want about Shun(cause I will), that is a cool combo.

G-rat
03-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Great man! Glad the knife is in some meat and not my drawer.

compaddict
01-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Some how the edge has got some damage.. I would like to get this knife repaired and obsessively sharpened. Any takers?

Vince

TB_London
01-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Think Jon @jki did one of these fairly recently, maybe worth a PM

Edit to add link

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/9586-messing-around-with-fake-kasumi-finishes

compaddict
01-12-2013, 02:31 PM
And done!!

Thank you.