PDA

View Full Version : D handle removal

Mike Davis
02-21-2012, 11:50 AM
How do you guy's remove the original handles without wrecking them? Is it a heat thing? I thought they were sealed in the handles with wax, but i had to break the handle off my Watanabe deba to get it off. I am just trying to rehandle my personal kitchen knives, but do not want to risk ruining any of the knives.

Dave Martell
02-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Marko's the man with his technique for removing them in tack, me - I chisel off most in pieces, I've never been able to get more than a small percent off in tact.

tk59
02-21-2012, 12:10 PM
I could have sworn that someone posted a tutorial but I can't find it...

Mike Davis
02-21-2012, 12:21 PM
i can break them off...not concerned with saving them, just dont want to hurt the knife.

mhenry
02-21-2012, 12:29 PM
See Marko's tutorial, it's the method I use now, but some just won't come off you are gonna have to destroy it.

Marko Tsourkan
02-21-2012, 12:47 PM
With exception of a few makers (Carter) most handles are simply burned and forced in. To knock it off, you need a wooden block that is longer than the blade, placed against the handle. A few blows to the other side of the block, will knock the handle off. Don't forget to tape the edge of the blade, or might be very sorry.

M

Pensacola Tiger
02-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Marko,

If I'm not mistaken, Murray epoxies the handles of only the HG series. The SFGZ and KU knives are burned in. At least that has been my experience.

Rick

With exception of a few makers (Carter) most handles are simply burned and forced in. To knock it off, you need a wooden block that is longer than the blade, placed against the handle. A few blows to the other side of the block, will knock the handle off. Don't forget to tape the edge of the blade, or might be very sorry.

M

JBroida
02-21-2012, 01:20 PM
most knives i see from japan have some kind of epoxy or sealant in the handle

JohnnyChance
02-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Even the ones with epoxy or sealant right where the tang meets the handle will come off with Marko's method.

Marko Tsourkan
02-21-2012, 01:50 PM
most knives i see from japan have some kind of epoxy or sealant in the handle

They typically seal the tip of the handle, but no epoxy is in the tang. I removed both Takeda and Moritaka handles without damaging them. Carter handles I had to split open - no regrets fro those. :)

Rick, the one on your knife that I replaced with Cocobolo handle, I had to crack open. I was epoxied.

JBroida
02-21-2012, 01:52 PM
for almost every maker i cary they are epoxied all the way through... there are a couple that are only sealed at the top and a few with nothing at all

Mike Davis
02-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Thanks guys. I think i will make a block that is slotted for the blade and try Marko's method....If it doesn't work, there is always the squeeze them in a vise method...that worked for me last night lol.

tk59
02-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Interesting. I've seen maybe a dozen Carters. Only the HG's have been epoxied, except for one SFGZ that had an upgraded ho wood handle on it.

Marko Tsourkan
02-21-2012, 02:11 PM
It's quite possible, but the one I removed had a pretty unremarkable handle on it and it was epoxied.

M

tk59
02-21-2012, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't characterize any handle I've seen from Murray as "remarkable," lol. Although, I do like my ebony handle.

Andy777
02-22-2012, 02:52 PM
My whole thought this time is "why would anyone want to save a Murray handle?" :)

I never try to save any, I just use a chisel, by far the best way to crack those suckers off.

Johnny.B.Good
02-22-2012, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't characterize any handle I've seen from Murray as "remarkable," lol. Although, I do like my ebony handle.

I like mine too (so long as you don't put it up against work from Marko, Stefan, Mike, etc.).

heirkb
02-24-2012, 12:30 AM
I could link you to the tutorial that TK was talking about, but what I posted below was easier to find and it's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6evDu8cjRps