PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) knife store in the hood

SpikeC
03-23-2011, 06:30 PM
I just found a knife store in my neighborhood that has a bunch of Japanese swords and a very eclectic assortment of cutlery. They aren't huge in kitchen knives butt do have some interesting stuff, both old and new. One thing that caught my eye was a used German chef's in carbon steel, 11 inches long. Next to it were some 10 inch slicers and butcher's knives of indeterminate vintage.
I bought a cut resistant glove:thumbsup: for maybe using that mandolin!

sudsy9977
03-23-2011, 06:40 PM
the carbon knives sound interesting.....nothing like a good find....ryan

EdipisReks
03-23-2011, 08:34 PM
I just found a knife store in my neighborhood that has a bunch of Japanese swords and a very eclectic assortment of cutlery. They aren't huge in kitchen knives butt do have some interesting stuff, both old and new. One thing that caught my eye was a used German chef's in carbon steel, 11 inches long. Next to it were some 10 inch slicers and butcher's knives of indeterminate vintage.

heh, i went through a bunch of cut resistant gloves, until i finally found one that i couldn't easily cut through with one of my knives while still being comfortable and easy to wear. the G&F Blade X5 gloves finally did it. i still don't use my mandolin. :)

FryBoy
03-23-2011, 08:46 PM
In my experience, slaughterhouse butchers not only wear a Kevlar cut-resistant glove, they have a chainmail glove under that (or maybe it's the other way around -- been a long time since I was in a slaughterhouse). Dangerous work, almost as dangerous as using a mandolin!

Miles
03-24-2011, 01:48 PM

Which shop is it? I lived in PDX for ten years before moving down here to Tejas. Always keen to keep tabs on what's happening in the old hood.

SpikeC
03-24-2011, 02:08 PM
It's Hawthorne Knife and Gifts, on 32nd and Hawthorne. Prices are high on some stuff, but it is not part of a chain.

wenus2
03-25-2011, 02:08 AM
oh, right behind the stumptown annex... I was a SW'er, but along with Miles, I like to keep tabs :)

bigboybrent
03-25-2011, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the headsup. I'm going to go check them out

SpikeC
03-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Actually, the Stumptown annex is over on Belmont.