PDA

View Full Version : Durability of mixed wood handles?

Lucretia
02-28-2012, 12:59 PM
A lot of beautiful handles out there with different woods glued/epoxied together. How do they hold up over time? Do you have any problems with splitting at the glue line if the woods move differently when exposed to water/oil/humidity?

El Pescador
02-28-2012, 01:34 PM
shouldn't be an issue if they're properly stabilized.

Pesky

kalaeb
02-28-2012, 01:44 PM
I have never had any issues. The epoxies now are often stronger and more durale than the wood.

Marko Tsourkan
02-28-2012, 01:48 PM
A lot of beautiful handles out there with different woods glued/epoxied together. How do they hold up over time? Do you have any problems with splitting at the glue line if the woods move differently when exposed to water/oil/humidity?

Even if woods are natural (unstabilized), the movement is relatively similar. However, for best durability, one should use internal pins.

However, horn and wood, moves at a different rate, and if one is using horn for end cap, a pin is a must, even if horn is glued to stabilized wood.

M

bcrano
02-28-2012, 04:06 PM
From my experience building guitars, often the glue is stronger than the wood itself.

Lefty
02-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Yeah, what they all said. Another things that pieces are often set around dowels for more stability.

tk59
02-28-2012, 10:58 PM
I've had one handle that broke at the joint but it was a reject and I was using it as a temp handle, not filled with epoxy. Other than that, I've had no problems.

Lucretia
02-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Good to know! There are some really great looking handles out there--would hate to have one go to pieces just because it was used.

Thanks!