PDA

View Full Version : Going sub zero! Stepping up my game :)

HHH Knives
03-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Hello and good day, I have been planning on adding "cryo" Liquid nitrogen quench to my Heat Treat line up.. With the addition of stainless steel to my line up. I want to be able to offer you guys the best possible RC and toughness. As well as edge retention and variety of blade steels. I will soon be offering a new damascus combination, of O1 an L-6. Which will be Cryo quenched.. This new combination will make a much better kitchen blade and a more notable difference when cryo treated then the HC steel mix we am currently making.
This new damascus combination will be a option for those of you with current order on the books. To change from the Carbon damascus to the new mix of cryo treated O1 and L-6 damascus.. :D

Based off my limited experiance with this treatment. I bielieve it will only add a point to the RC to my current carbon mix, and will add even more to the new damascus mix, and huge benefits for most stainless steels. With a notable gain toughness as well as additional hardness and edge retention. :D

I have spent some time researching this and found a couple of great options for my new cryo tank. As well as tons of info on the subject on line. I talked to another knife maker that I have much respect for, He was very kind and open, sharing some important info with me so I make a informed purchase on the storage tank. He is currently doing cryo and has done much testing on many of the steel, new and old and the results of cryo treated steel. I gained more info from 1 phone call then I did searching the internet for hours reading on the forums. So I need to say THANKS!!!! you know who you are. I appreciate your time and advise. This is gona be fun!!

This is a obsession, :spin chair: As most of you know. Proper Heat Treating is just as important as the steel type.. So as a maker, I am always trying to refine my process and testing.. and learning.. There is room for improvement, and I intend to find it. This is the next step in my evolution. I know there are some here that have much more experience with this, and I welcome your comments and hope to learn as much as possible about this process B4 the new Dewar arrives.. Im just opening the door on the subject and starting to learn.. So please share your experience.

Ill keep you guys posted as I move forward with this and get the tank etc. :)
Thanks
Randy

Crothcipt
03-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Like a chef always wanting to strive for perfection, and best product. Can't wait for the wip's out of this one.:running::bladesmith:

Mike Davis
03-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Awesome Randy...Just tell Jr. to not put in his marshmallows :p

HHH Knives
03-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Sounds like fun! :)

HHH Knives
08-10-2012, 11:34 PM
UPDATE!

OK so I have been dragging my feet on this for the last few months. But finally did it! The LN tank is on its way to me and Im jazzed!

Selecting the right tank turned out to be the easy part. The hard part was finding it at a good price! The price for a new tank was WAY out of my reach. So the search continued. Ebay and Craigs list, all the forums etc.etc. I finally found my tank.. A used 34L tank with a neck tube opening of over 3.5" For the TALL blades!!! :) Alot of the LN tanks have a small opening, like 2" and thats just not wide enough.

Thanks to EVERYONE who gave me some help and advise, I hope to one day be able to return the favor or share or help someone else by passing along the same advise and info!

God Bless
Randy

P.S. I have gathered a BUNCH of different stainless steels over the last few months. Also a RC tester. So Let the experimenting begin! :)

Mucho Bocho
08-11-2012, 08:17 AM
I'm guessing your advisor might be Mr Hoss? DT?

Dream Burls
08-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Marko might be a good source for LN HT hints.

HHH Knives
08-11-2012, 03:28 PM
I would be honored to take any help or advice from either of these fine gentlemen named above. But Its not either of them.. Mr Thomas holds his HT info/secrets close to his chest. I dont blame him. Again understandably! Marko has not chimed in yet to offer any help or advise. But Im sure I could gain much from his experiences as well.

Mainly, I am anxious to start running some tests and to learn the new steels and what they have to offer! I have selected a couple of steels that I think will be a good starting point.. Its very exciting! Honestly, I like this part of the journey as a maker. Like many things, If it was to easy, or I didnt have to work for it. I wouldn't appreciate it as much. I have said it before and will say it again. The journey is often the best part of the process. :) That said, I am always happy to get help or advise and appreciate it when someone takes the time to help guide me. So I dont fall in the same hole they have already encountered. Wasting time and energy or money.. For that, I am very grateful!! :D

l r harner
08-11-2012, 10:19 PM
its so much fun to tweek HT for the stel and use. im sure you will have alot of fun with it

HHH Knives
08-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks Butch. I am already havin a blast! Good to hear from ya!

HHH Knives
08-17-2012, 01:21 AM
UPDATE!!!
I went to get my Oxygen tank filled at a local welding shop this week. When I picked the tank up. I mentioned LN and asked if his supplier would bring it out and deliver If I have a Dewar waiting for him. As it turn out the LN delivery truck comes to our little town once a week. Best part is, they will deliver and the welding shop is just a few blocks from my home so transport shouldn't be a problem!!!

Up until today I was under the impression that the closest place for a fill up was a 40 minute drive one way. What a Blessing and even if the cost is a little higher then the other place. With gas at 4.00 a gallon and time being one of the few things I cant make. Ill gladly pay a buck or 2 more a liter for the convenience!!

Heck if I wanted to I may be able to even cut out the local welding shop and deal direct with the supplier. But I wont... There great guys , good old boys! Every time I drop in to buy something I spend at least a hour chatting with them and hanging around. Its like stepping back 20 years when you walk through the door, Its a cool place. Shops like this are all but extinct in this day and age.

Im still super excited and just wanted to share!

echerub
08-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Cool news! Quite literally... :)

HHH Knives
08-17-2012, 02:52 PM
:EDance2: WOOO HOOOO, Its here! :doublethumbsup: And its HUGE. for some reason I didnt picture it as large as it is. No worrys. I will make room for it!!! :)

HHH Knives
08-23-2012, 09:14 AM
UPDATE. The tank will be filled next week and We will start as time allows to do some HT testing on 3 "new" (to us) steels. and a couple very well known and proven performers. in the kitchen and in the field!

Randy Jr also has been forging me some laminates. to work with, Cru forge V core with stainless cladding, And O-1 core with damascus cladding. Etc. etc. And the fun continues!!

WillC
08-23-2012, 07:09 PM
LN- very useful for frozen banana sudays at lunch time - hope that helps:D

HHH Knives
08-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Mmm Bananas!

HHH Knives
09-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Well, I have officially cryo quenched my first blade! :) Its a CPM154 240mm Gyuto.

Too much fun!

Eamon Burke
09-07-2012, 12:40 PM
:needpics:

Crothcipt
09-08-2012, 02:56 AM
:needpics:
+10:cop:

HHH Knives
09-08-2012, 04:33 PM
OK, I get it. I will take some photos next time I do a blade in it! :)
I still have to grind the one I did. Wont be long, I see a spot open in my scheduled in 2014 Wait. Nope.. wait... late 2013.. :D

PierreRodrigue
09-11-2012, 10:04 PM
lol!! :rofl2:

HHH Knives
09-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Did some HT on a few Stainless steel blades. They are some of DT Stainless AEBL and 304 combination. :doublethumbsup:

I remembered to snap some images for Eamon. :hungry:

This Cryo treatment is COOL. quite literally. :razz:
Thanks

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/HHH%20Knives/Heattreatandcryo3stainlesschefknives017800x533_zps 8bc35448.jpghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/HHH%20Knives/Heattreatandcryo3stainlesschefknives019800x533_zps ee628e13.jpghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/HHH%20Knives/Heattreatandcryo3stainlesschefknives045800x533_zps bde830cf.jpg

Taz575
09-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Knifesicles!!!!! :)

At least they didn't go POPSICLE on you! I hate hearing that 'tink' when you quench a blade.

Just don't stick your tongue to the blade...have Jr try it first :)

Chefget
09-23-2012, 11:03 PM
:bliss::bliss::bliss:

-Michael

jmforge
09-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Very cool, pun intended!!:doublethumbsup: Randy, the one thing that I can't figure out is how TALL is the inside "chamber" on those dewars when you put the foam plug in. All I can tell is that when you go to the ones 2 liters or over, you move up from the 5 inch cow spooge holder to the 11 inch model. :rofl2: Obvious that 34 liter, which seems to be a common one for knife guys, is tall enough to dip your blades, but can you put in the pug and close the lid with the blades inside of the tank?

HHH Knives
09-25-2012, 08:39 PM
JM. This one is approx 18" inside not counting the neck tube area. I made a stainless steel hook as seen in the pictures. and if I set it just right I can put the pug/cap back on it with the blade/blades in the tank.

I went with this 34HC because the neck tube is approx. 3.5" where most of the others I found for sale, even larger capacity were approx. 2"

I have no complaints so far. Its holding the LN and as far as I can tell it barely changed at all from when i got it filled. so the hold time and seals seem to be great on this Dewar!

jmforge
09-27-2012, 07:53 PM
There is a 20 liter model with a BIG neck tube opening, like over 5 inches, but I hear that it vents your LN MUCH faster than the bigger dewars. Thanks for the info. 18 inches will cover about anything I ever want to make from stainless and HT myself. The good news for me is that if I was still young and thin, I could probably carry one of those to my local AirGas store it is so close.:lol2:
JM. This one is approx 18" inside not counting the neck tube area. I made a stainless steel hook as seen in the pictures. and if I set it just right I can put the pug/cap back on it with the blade/blades in the tank.

I went with this 34HC because the neck tube is approx. 3.5" where most of the others I found for sale, even larger capacity were approx. 2"

I have no complaints so far. Its holding the LN and as far as I can tell it barely changed at all from when i got it filled. so the hold time and seals seem to be great on this Dewar!