PDA

View Full Version : HUGE mammoth tusk!!

HHH Knives
03-10-2012, 02:52 AM
Here is a tusk I am considering purchasing.. Its HUGE measuring in at a whopping 52 kgs in weight and 225 cm length measured around the outside curve.

Thats 114 lbs an over 88" long. Thats like 7 foot give or take!!!!

decisions, decisions!! :scratchhead:

WildBoar
03-10-2012, 03:05 AM
Go for it, Randy!

HHH Knives
03-10-2012, 04:58 AM
Here are a few more pictures. Judging by the weight. and the photos, it looks pretty SOLID! :D I imagine the grain in this large of a tusk will be Stellar!

There is a lifetime of mammoth ivory handles in this one tusk.. Thing is, I dont know if I could make myself cut up a piece like this!! :) Then again. It would probably be fun!!! LOTS and LOTS of knife handles here!!

apicius9
03-10-2012, 05:11 AM
I am sure there will be people volunteering to take some off your hands.. :) I will get on the list for some interior pieces.

Stefan

HHH Knives
03-10-2012, 05:29 AM
I dont think it will be a problem!! :) The biggest hurtle is coming up with the cash to buy it!!

Bill Burke
03-10-2012, 12:11 PM
I dont think it will be a problem!! :) The biggest hurtle is coming up with the cash to buy it!!

I'll help you out and buy your musk ox. ;)

Mike Davis
03-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Hmmm....Randy, you always have me wondering how i can come up with extra money....

Eamon Burke
03-10-2012, 01:07 PM
If you are willing to sell it to whomever, and you are going to continue to use this material for a long time, it's a solid decision to buy it. You'll save gobs of money in the long run.

Deckhand
03-10-2012, 01:12 PM
I'll help you out and buy your musk ox. ;)

Maybe i can help you out. There have been a lot of very helpful people on this forum including you. Next week I will do a giveaway for $125.00+14.00. A lucky winner will get $139.00. I will put the post numbers in a random number generator for the winner. Guys like Sachem "son", Chef Niloc, Pierre Rodrigue,Pensacola Tiger, and many others have really gone the extra mile for someone they never met. Certainly not trying to exclude anyone from that list. I am really blessed to have met such a great group of people here.

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. *~James D. Miles

HHH Knives
03-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Theres no question its a nice piece and worthy of having! :) Now to work out all the details. Im thinking I will offer pre orders. to some of the knife makers and suppliers I know and deal with.. Just thinking out loud here.. Say selling it in 10 to 15 lb increments.. With option to have it processed further.. into scales and blocks.. etc. or take as a large piece/pieces. Allowing the end user to split it up any way they want. Again.. Im just thinking here.. nothing set in stone yet.. Its gona be the only way I can acquire this piece will be to do something like this.

More to come if this develops.

Deck hand if im understanding right.. your gona do a CASH give away!?!?! Thats too cool of ya! We all like money! :D

Deckhand
03-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Theres no question its a nice piece and worthy of having! :) Now to work out all the details. Im thinking I will offer pre orders. to some of the knife makers and suppliers I know and deal with.. Just thinking out loud here.. Say selling it in 10 to 15 lb increments.. With option to have it processed further.. into scales and blocks.. etc. or take as a large piece/pieces. Allowing the end user to split it up any way they want. Again.. Im just thinking here.. nothing set in stone yet.. Its gona be the only way I can acquire this piece will be to do something like this.

Deck hand if im understanding right.. your gona do a CASH give away!?!?! Thats too cool of ya! We all like money! :D

Yes, that's correct! I always try to turn things in my life into something positive. I am very grateful to all of the people that have really gone out of their way to show kindness. This forum is a really amazing place. I already couldn't pay back all of the kindness that has come my way.

HHH Knives
03-10-2012, 02:20 PM
That is very cool!! I agree this is one amazing group of knife Knuts!!!! :)

olpappy
03-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Personally I think it would be a terrible shame and very sad to cut up a large specimen like this into small pieces for knife handles. This tusk has survived millions of years of Mother Nature's destruction intact. There are plenty of smaller pieces of mammoth ivory already broken into pieces that can be used to make knives. Just my opinion.

Eamon Burke
03-10-2012, 02:44 PM
olpappy, please don't think I'm being rude. I just have naught to do on a rainy day but bs on the web.

It is impressive, but what's the point of it existing? I mean, it's not something we can learn great truths or information from. It's just a really old bone. If he leaves it be, then we all die, and someone else finds it, and they leave it be, it's just a bone floating around the Earth like a piece of lint in the laundry. It has no value beyond "wow, that's a big tusk".

It does offer the chance for someone to use it for something unique, something that can only be done with such a large piece of tusk.

I used to think it was crazy to use dinosaur bones and fossils to make handles, but after thinking about it, why not? It's not damaging the environment, and they are just lumps in the dirt(it's not like an elephant-foot stool or anything). So we make them into knives, and enjoy them and appreciate them, and then we all die and they are lumps in the dirt again. The mammoth wasn't trying to build a legacy when he grew that tusk, he was just healthy and fortunate, had a great life, then he died and here's his tooth.

HHH Knives
03-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Pappy, I can totally relate to what your saying and respect and appreciate your position. :D

I think I already said it. I would have a hard time cutting something of this magnitude into smaller sections. Yet at this point. Someone is going to do just that. And every time it is cut, the price per pound goes up. And continues to go up the further its processed. From strictly a business standpoint. you can see how this piece is very appealing!

olpappy
03-10-2012, 06:51 PM
No offense taken, no offense meant, either. I also can appreciate your point of view. I just think that it is already a beautiful work of art as it is, and that there are only a finite number of pieces of mammoth ivory sitting in the ground. Some are big, some are small. Big pieces can be cut smaller, but the small pieces can't be made bigger. If I were a rich collector I would keep it intact to be admired for what it is, yeah just a really big tusk because it is cool. more common to find smaller pieces or broken pieces but less common a big one intact. So the fact that it is less common, to me makes it somewhat rare or valuable for that reason.

Now obviously the seller didn't take the trouble to polish it up or mount it as a specimen, so maybe as mammoth tusks go this isn't a particularly large or intact enough piece to merit the trouble. If it was really a rare specimen I suppose it would have ended up in some museum or somewhere they would really want to keep it as an intact piece. Maybe the vendor digs this stuff out of the ground all the time and was not especially impressed with this piece. Just as a layman who doesn't deal with mammoth ivory all the time my gut reaction is yeah its kinda special just because it's really big and not busted into smaller pieces.

It does offer the chance for someone to use it for something unique, something that can only be done with such a large piece of tusk.

That's part of what I'm saying, using a piece this size to make knife handles 5" long, is a lot of cutting down to size. Knife handles can be made from smaller pieces, a big piece would be needed if say a sculptor wanted to do a big sculpture with it or some ridiculous huge art piece.

Let's say this was 100 years ago and elephants were not endangered, if a hunter took a pair of elephant tusks they might mount it for display because they would be to be admired as-is. Or, they might chop them up and sell them in Asia to be carved into tiny trinkets....There's no right or wrong as to which is a better use of the material. I understand there is money to be made and I'm not criticizing the business end of it, I'm just thinking from an esthetic point of view. We all admire fossil ivory for its natural beauty. I happen to think looking at a huge hunk of it has a beauty of its own which is something distinctive from when it is used as a raw material to craft other stuff.

Eamon Burke
03-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Maybe it should be made into a ceremonial horn. Or a giant pepper mill. Oo! Randy's hood ornament!

richard harley
03-10-2012, 08:00 PM
i would make it into handles so quick your head would swim and sleeeepppp well at night

PierreRodrigue
03-10-2012, 10:31 PM

I like this idea. :D Just sayin' It would be a great piece to polish and display for sure. But just think how many knives will have be adorned with something that may have rotted in the dirt unknown.

HHH Knives
03-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Indeed. I agree with both sides and there is no right or wrong way to go on this. :plus1::plus1:

If I am able to secure the piece. It will become a useful and well loved knife handle, or in this case.. many handles. :wink:

Pierre, if you would like to get some we need to talk. :doublethumbsup:

HHH Knives
03-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Alright guys! I have negotiated a final price for this tusk. and am now wanting to try and get a handful of others who may be wanting to prebuy 10lbs or more. If anyone is interested and wants in on this opportunity. Shoot me message. Serious inquirers only.

HHH Knives
03-12-2012, 03:36 PM
I have had one response to this so far and wanted to BUMP the thread and see if there was anyone else who may be interested in some of this material!!

Please let me know

Also here are some photos of some of the materials I am going to be selling to help offset the massive cost of this HUGE tusk!

These are all ivory or mammoth tooth. and range from large to small. all came from my personal stash! And have great potential!!

EDIT, the 3 white pieces of mammoth ivory are no longer available..

oivind_dahle
03-12-2012, 04:44 PM
How much would a piece for a wa to a 180-200 Gyuto cost me?

HHH Knives
03-12-2012, 08:53 PM
oivind. When I get the large tusk, I will have pieces that size and larger and can give you a price for them at that point.

Currently I only have 1 piece of mammoth Ivory that is large enough and its not pictured. :) Saving it for when I learn to make WA handles.. or for a special project that requires very white handle materials.

Taz575
03-13-2012, 12:09 AM
whats the size/price of that little blue/white striped block in the first pic and the 2 small pieces on the right of the second pic?

HHH Knives
03-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Taz, The smaller blue pieces you asked about are now sold. Sry buddy. They were spoken for within a few minutes of me posting the photo.

Taz575
03-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Oh well, next time!! I may be ordering a couple more blanks, tax refund checks came in :wink:

oivind_dahle
03-13-2012, 05:24 PM
When will you have a large tusk?
Im doing a rehandle in 10 days...

Still-edo
03-13-2012, 05:47 PM
When I first joined this forum, I thought it'd be like a million threads on how to "properly" sharpen a knife. Little did I expect knives made from meteors and mammoth tusks!

I shall continue to be astounded.

ThEoRy
03-13-2012, 07:51 PM
When I first joined this forum, I thought it'd be like a million threads on how to "properly" sharpen a knife. Little did I expect knives made from meteors and mammoth tusks!

And THEN post a thread about how to sharpen a meteorite.

HHH Knives
03-14-2012, 12:50 AM

Welcome to KKF!! Thanks for checking out my forum!

Were having a BLAST and happy to have some other knife nuts to share it with!! :)

HHH Knives
03-15-2012, 07:46 PM
After much consideration, Im going to pass on this HUGE tusk! I want to say THANKS to the guys who were wanting to work with me to get this BEAST! I appreciate your support and willingness to take a risk on something like this. I always have my ear to the ground and will keep looking for deals and new stuff to play with!! :)

On a side not. I was able to secure a few exceptional crazy cool pieces. :) Smaller pieces, from different tusks.

These range in color, from a large 10lb chunk of pure white mammoth ivory to cut for furrels and end caps. to some red bark and a couple of amazing sets of blue bark.. and a piece of crackle pattern!! Sort of a variety pack!

Pictures to come! :)

HHH Knives
03-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Alright its not 100+ pound tusk, But it is pretty darn awesome!

The Large chunk is over 10 lbs of what has to be some of the finest white mammoth ivory I have ever seen. Im thinking about cutting this into a few nice blocks for Wa handles!! and Butt caps etc. :) As well as some scales and spacers etc.

And that set of blue is well.. You know!

Randy

Taz575
03-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Oooooohhhhh....blue!!!!!!!

Crothcipt
03-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Loving the blue, Is that rare for mammoth?

apicius9
03-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Im thinking about cutting this into a few nice blocks for Wa handles!! and Butt caps etc. :)

Randy

:coolsign:

HHH Knives
03-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Loving the blue, Is that rare for mammoth?

Its my all time favorite color for a mammoth tusk, and tooth!!!
Partly because I just love the color blue and would have to say its my favorite color. And secondly because when it comes to this stuff, Its as rare as you will find.. As I understand it, The colors come from the absorption of minerals around the area where the tusk laid for all those tens of thousands of years.

I my experience I would say shades of brown would be the most common color, and blue would be one of the most rare colors. Sometimes you will see combinations of brown with shades of blue popping out here and there. Green is probably as rare or almost as uncommon as the really exceptional blues!

In my experience. you can expect to pay upwards of $300.00 or more for a set of really exceptional blue mammoth ivory knife scales. If they are large and thick enough to make a full sized/large knife handle.

I did manage to cut up some tusk today! :D Its always a interesting and awesome experience cutting into something like this! I just love it! Photos being uploaded now. Ill post a few pictures ASAP.

Crothcipt
03-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the knowledge, love interesting stuff like that.

HHH Knives
03-16-2012, 10:23 PM
My pleasure, I have always been fascinated by this stuff, as well as other ivory's, and exotic materials. Fossil or otherwise! :) Each has there own set of challenges when working with it. Yet most are so darn beautiful, that it out weighs the trials of sanding or drilling etc. :D

I have been very blessed to be able to work with so many Xtremely awesome materials!!

Here are the photos of my progress today. :happymug:

Mike Davis
03-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Do i see a wa handle chunk??? Do my eyes deceive me?

HHH Knives
03-17-2012, 01:58 AM
Nope, Your seeing things clearly! :) 5 3/4 X 1 3/8 X 1 1/8" block!! 8.6oz

I started out with a huge piece of ivory, I could of made 3 full sized sets easy!! And all I got was this one sweet block, and lots of odd shaped cut off's and ivory dust everywhere! lol

HHH Knives
03-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Yesterday my buddy Clay dropped by and we sliced into a mammoth tooth he had been working on! Its stabilized and just as beautiful as any I have seen! Its a really cool ICE blue color. This set is EXTRA large!! Im pretty jazzed! Thanks Clay! Any time you need help cutting up some tooth, let me know :)

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/Damascus%20billets%20for%20sale/IMG_7157.jpghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/Damascus%20billets%20for%20sale/IMG_7158.jpghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/Damascus%20billets%20for%20sale/IMG_7156.jpg

Crothcipt
03-20-2012, 12:17 AM
Wow you got some great looking material there.:ovg:

Deckhand
03-20-2012, 12:18 AM
Amazing!

Johnny.B.Good
03-20-2012, 12:47 AM
How unusual. Very cool Randy.

I can't quite picture how these are going to look after being sanded smooth, but I assume you will post some pics of whatever you create with them when the time comes. Right Randy? Right? ;)

HHH Knives
03-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Im pretty sure its going to make a devastatingly beautiful knife!! :)

Ill post up some photos 4Sure!

Luke_G
03-20-2012, 06:51 PM
That's just awesome !!! :bigeek:

HHH Knives
03-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Whooo HOOOO! I received the large piece and some exceptional smaller pieces in the mail today! :) Best part is, They all look even better in person then the photos he sent me.. Ill try and snap a few pictures of them tomorrow!! :) The BLUE set of scales is off the charts beautiful!

nanapana
07-19-2012, 04:38 AM
Im new on here and am interested in bringing some super quality grade mammoth tusks into the US I have already brought one juvenile tusk barely fit in my luggage, but have some other super super grade and was wondering what is the best way to sell it keep them in tact or cutting them up into sections or actually having knife blades made out of them? I would like to try to make knife blades but lack experience

nanapana
07-19-2012, 04:40 AM
heres link with more pics

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee156/nanapana1/mammoth/

nanapana
07-19-2012, 05:07 AM
here are 2 more pics the tusks are super dense and super heavy and solid!

HHH Knives
07-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Email sent. :) They look very fine indeed.

nanapana
07-19-2012, 04:55 PM
http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee156/nanapana1/mammoth/#!cpZZ2QQtppZZ28

pics showing coloration of tusks