PDA

View Full Version : Masakage Koishi AS by Kato san

mpukas
03-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Does anyone know anything about these knives, Masakage Koishi AS by Kato san 240mm Gyuto (http://knifewear.com/knife-detail.asp?knife=35gyuto240&family=35)? AS steel clad w/ SS. Looks to my untrained eye to be a different sort of grind than Moritaka, etc. and I think this could be a good knife.

Kaseryu posted a link to a usuba he bought from knifewear.com in Alberta in his thread. I didn't know about the store, and while looking through the site this maker's line caught my eye.

Hattorichop
03-10-2012, 11:00 PM
I bought my dad one for Christmas and I liked it so much I bought myself one.
One of my favorite gyuto's!

Flee
03-11-2012, 08:16 AM
They look very similar to he kochi knives that Japanese knife imports carry

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/kochi-240mm-kurouchi-wa-gyuto.html#

Ontravelling
03-11-2012, 06:40 PM
:scratchhead: I'd have to disagree with that one. I own a Kochi from JKI and the kurouchi looks totally different than the Masakage pictured from the link here.

EdipisReks
03-11-2012, 08:33 PM
:scratchhead: I'd have to disagree with that one. I own a Kochi from JKI and the kurouchi looks totally different than the Masakage pictured from the link here.

my Kochi has a quite different profile, as well.

EdipisReks
03-11-2012, 08:34 PM
I bought my dad one for Christmas and I liked it so much I bought myself one.
One of my favorite gyuto's!

can you give us more details on it? it's a good looking knife.

Hattorichop
03-11-2012, 09:12 PM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49193552/IMG_3280.JPG

Here is a photo of the one I got my father.
It was from the first batch which came with a kasumi finish instead of the kurouchi finsh.
It also has a lighter colour handle then the cherry wood which comes on the new batch.
I will post a photo of mine soon.

The knife is not a laser but it is not hefty either.
It is a stiff blade and has relatively no flex.
It is very similar to the Murry Carter I just got from mhenry
Both have convex grinds on both sides of the knife but the Masakage is ground a little thinner than the Carter giving it a slight edge in performance over the Carter.
I really like this knife! I think most people would also.

EdipisReks
03-11-2012, 09:28 PM
it sounds pretty darn good!

panda
10-28-2013, 12:23 AM
anyone else care to chime in on these knives (profile, grind, feel on stones)? their 270 looks to be a good candidate for workhorse gyuto.

XooMG
10-28-2013, 05:01 AM
The pics online are a little funky...it almost looks like the kuro-ichi is painted on or done in sharpie. Still, I was curious about them when I was nakiri shopping but couldn't find much so I'd love to hear more about them.

whesssp7497
10-28-2013, 07:22 AM
I have been looking into masakages a lot recently. I would also be interested in anybodys feedback or reviews on their knives. From everything I've read so far I know that they have been getting a lot of great reviews from what I've found. So many people have been saying that they think they'll be going up in price or become a more prominent recommendation. You could always try a pass around. Dunno if that was any help but I'm definitely in the same boat on masakage's.