PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a knife I used to have

DannyFixesGuns
03-14-2012, 04:15 PM
I have been trying to find a replacement for a knife I used to have. No one at any knife store of any kind has been able to point me in the right direction. So, here I am, on a knife forum, hoping someone has an idea what I'm talking about.

I am looking for what looks like a pizza cutter, except it has five blades, spaced about 1/4 inch apart. It has a handle that allows you to hold it in your palm, and I used it mostly for cutting up fresh herbs like cilantro and garlic. There was a pin in the side that you could remove to disassemble it for cleaning.

Has anyone seen one of these, know what it's called, and/or where I can get another?

Thank you.

Johnny.B.Good
03-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Herb-Mincer/dp/B001715PLA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331752587&sr=8-1

WildBoar
03-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Sur la Table has them. Think they call them herb mincers.

'Round these here parts folks are known to chop dem herbs with regular knives :hungry:

DannyFixesGuns
03-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Holy cow! Yes, something just like that. I think the one I had had more blades, but the same idea, and I like that it has a cover for storage. I would have never thought to call it a "mincer". I have Googled everything I could come up with. I knew I came to the right place, Thank you!

Johnny.B.Good
03-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Now run for it Danny before we convince you to abandon this contraption and replace all of your kitchen knives! ;)

What would you do with that thing other than mince herbs?

tk59
03-14-2012, 05:23 PM
...What would you do with that thing other than mince herbs?Make linguini? I wonder how long it takes for it to go from mincing to crushing.

Johnny.B.Good
03-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Make linguini? I wonder how long it takes for it to go from mincing to crushing.

The only reason I knew what he was talking about right away is that I helped my mother box up her kitchen prior to a remodel recently and saw one of those (a really old one). I demanded that it go into the Goodwill box, along with some other unmentionables (a "Ginsu" knife for example).

Eamon Burke
03-14-2012, 05:44 PM
You did come to the right place!

What else are you cutting with, Danny?

tk59
03-14-2012, 05:51 PM
...What else are you cutting with, Danny?Uh oh. Here we go...

DannyFixesGuns
03-15-2012, 09:17 AM
I actually think it may have come as a bonus for one of those Ginsu knife kits. My ex-father-in-law used to buy a lot of stuff from info-mercials. I liked it for cutting up cilantro for salsa and other small stuff that's just too tedious otherwise. It worked great, and stayed pretty sharp. I like to make salsa, and I make it pretty often, it seems like the go-to dish for office parties. So this thing was handy.I think mincing herbs would be the only thing I can come up for it.

Eamon Burke
03-15-2012, 12:24 PM
I actually think it may have come as a bonus for one of those Ginsu knife kits. My ex-father-in-law used to buy a lot of stuff from info-mercials.

you still have some ginsus? Those are almost collectable these days, so mang people remember those over-the-top ads.

EdipisReks
03-15-2012, 12:47 PM
i bet i can cut herbs faster with any of my gyutos than i could with one of those things.

Eamon Burke
03-15-2012, 04:42 PM
I dunno, if I wanted a sloppy chop up, like for salsa, I think it could be pretty dang fast, assuming the blades are sharp. I mean, there are times when you dont need a tight chiffonade of cilantro.

That said, I'd never want to own something that specific to a single task, even at my day job, where I do hack up herbs en masse regularly.

I'm just saying, this guy's got a special tool for cutting up salsa herbs, and that means that his other sharps could probably use some...ahem...improvement!

Johnny.B.Good
03-15-2012, 04:48 PM
you still have some ginsus? Those are almost collectable these days, so mang people remember those over-the-top ads.

Maybe I shouldn't have been quite so cavalier about throwing my mother's into the Goodwill box (along with her rolling herb mincer).