PDA

View Full Version : Gardening Tools from Japan

Dave Martell
03-20-2012, 04:20 PM
I have a friend who asked if I could get him a couple of Japanese garden tools. Since this isn't my regular thing we had to sort of guess what to ask for. He wanted a medium hand axe (we call a hatchet in the US) as well as a medium thin sickle.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5505&d=1332274756

What came is pretty much what I expected, can't say about my friend yet though. The bearded axe head weighs in at 570g with an oak (?) haft of about 1.5ft in length, this thing feels solid. The sickle is very light weight with a cutting edge length of 180mm, it's thin like a nakiri. The haft on the sickle feels like ho wood although it's listed as being "Japanese white oak", not super impressive but paired with the light sickle head should do fine for what this tool will be asked to accomplish.

If anyone is interested in scoring some unique gardening tools from Japan like these we can get many different sizes, styles, even bamboo hatchets & bonsai tools too so please ask. Unfortunately I don't have pictures to show in advance but I'll ask my source to help me here where he can.

WildBoar
03-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Cool -- that is a nice service to offer.

What woods have you selected for the rehandles?

Dave Martell
03-20-2012, 04:33 PM
I forgot to mention that the axe is white #1 steel laminated to high carbon steel while the sickle is "high carbon" steel laminated to iron.

The axe is technically a woodworking axe.

Dave Martell
03-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Cool -- that is a nice service to offer.

What woods have you selected for the rehandles?

LOL - I don;t want to even think about rehandling these although some curly maple or something like that would look cool.

SpikeC
03-20-2012, 05:30 PM
What, no Takeda?

Burl Source
03-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Sorry......I couldn't help myself.

http://youtu.be/gEmJ-VWPDM4

Mike Davis
03-20-2012, 11:23 PM
The Kama is cool! I have one similar to it floating around somewhere, but mine i am sure is crap steel...

Paradox
02-13-2013, 09:50 PM
LOL - I don;t want to even think about rehandling these although some curly maple or something like that would look cool.

There's nothing like a nice piece of hickory. ;)